How many of you own a bread machine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's much quicker to make than doing it with a mixer!

It used to take me 6 to 8 hours the old fashioned way!! Now I can have a oerfectly baked fresh loaf of bread in only 3 hours!!

~Corey123.

lol corey, you sound like an infomercial.

i have a barely used breadman machine that i bought years ago. it is a top loading, 1 or 2 lb. loaf bread machine.

i keep promising myself to get back to using it. i made a few honey wheat, zucchini and cheese, and mutil-grain seed loafs with it that were really very good.

I've never been able to make bread, so I got a bread machine. It blew up. The company replaced it, but I ended up giving it to my daughter. I have decided that it is not my destiny to make bread. :(

We've had one for about 6-7 years now. We've used it a few times for bread, and it's usually good, but I don't like the weird shape it makes, so we mostly use it to make dough, especially pizza dough.

John

123 Bread!

I have had mine for 3-4 years I got it as a christmas present. I love it it makes wonderful, nice and perfect looking loafs of bread. My family loves bread I make lots of bead, at least a loaf or two a week. I love using my bread machine because you can either just pour in a box of ingredients or add your own recipe, push a couple of buttons and in a couple hours, TA DA! bread. Also I can use the machine to just make the dough for pizza crust, pastry or cookie dough, or cinnamon rolls. I love cooking, but sometimes I am to lazy, to tired, or don't have enough time. Thats where inventions like this save my family from starvation.

Last edited:
Last week I purchased a Sunbeam 5891 for $40.
I have been using an older model for a couple of years, which I got with a broken lid glass.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the 5891 (http://www.sunbeam.com/productdetail.aspx?PId=59). I noticed a couple nice improvements and my favorite oatmeal bread turned out great.

I wish you many happy hours baking and enjoying bread!
Also: try home baked pizza with dough from your bread machine...

Yes! What brand is it?

Now make some homemade
soup or stew to go with that and you've got one heck of a meal!!

~Corey123.

Corey, I don't know if that question was directed at me, but if so, my machine is an Oster.

So far, I haven't had any real problems. Couple times the loaves came out very dense, but that could've just been the recipe. I've "fixed" the white bread recipe, but haven't tried to "fix" the whole wheat one yet. I will try a few more other ones first.

Brought in a loaf to work and everyone liked it so much, one of the guys brought in his 1-lb Breadman so we bake bread at work now!!! Course, now they're complaining about all the extra weight they're going to gain.... like a 1-lb loaf makes a whole lot - about 1 thick slice per person here (4). Babies! Don't they eat sandwiches??? at least this bread is healthier....:mrgreen:

I used to make all our bread by hand and was extremely skeptical when my mother in law bought me a bread machine 10 years ago. I have not looked back, the bread machine makes all our bread now. Worked with a Toastmaster until I got tired of replaceing the cheap pans at $25. a pop. Got a Zojirushi over a year ago and have struggled to make a decent all whole wheat bread. After consultation with the unsympathatic Zojirushi people, I contacted King Arthur Flour people. I use their flour and they sell Zojirushi machines.

They told me to try cooking the whole wheat bread on the WHITE cycle. That worked perfectly. Baked a beautiful leaf yesterday. These Z. machines bake a loaf shaped like a normal loaf of bread, only with two paddle holes in the bottom. So I use the recipe that comes with the Zojirushi machine for 100% whole wheat bread and usually do a double knead, ie, restart the machine just as it completes the first knead. Don't forget to use the white cycle. The texture is the best and you can't beat the flavor. I let it cool and pop it in a 2 gallon freezer bag and slice it the next day. Then put it in the freezer and bring out slices as needed.

That's not a bad idea!

But the Z machine is supposed to feature separate cycles BWB and BWWB, which it does.

I want so bad to try the whole wheat bread recipe, but now I got a trip this weekend, so I'll have to wait til I get back.

And yes, King Author IS the best flour for making bread! Typically bread flour and whole wheat flour. But I've also had god luck with Gold Medal & Pillsbury as well. But I think King Author is the better of the three.

~Corey123.

Yes the Z. has settings for white and whole wheat bread. But from my experience and the advice of the bakers at King Arthur who sell the Z., do not use the whole wheat cycle for whole wheat bread, use the white cycle for whole wheat bread.

I was going to buy a bread maker and then found out I have to stay away from yeast. can you believe I have a mild allergy to it. grrrr no more french bread or raised donuts. I do make quick breads and buns for my family and I just use the food processer. I got a great book years ago call 30 min bread and most of the receipts in it were for the food processor. So I guess my Answer is no after all of that. I am looking for recipes for food processor bread to this day and I still think of the bread maker and if I could find one cheap enough I would likely still buy it. if for no other reason then the ease of making dough and not getting my hands dirty.

So sorry to hear that you've got an allergy to yeast. Does that also mean that you can't buy yeast bread from the store as well?:ermm:

But you can STILL buy a bread machine to make quick breads and cakes. My
Zojirushi allows the production of quick breads and cakes as well as jams.:chef:

~Corey123.

Glad you posted this. Have a bread machine in the basement that I have not used in years - but we loved it when I did use it!
Now retired, I was a school resource teacher, and I kept a bread machine on a cart in the resource room for teachers to borrow so the kids could experience the real thing. They would make the butter. Any time rain or cold was predicted, the signup sheet was booked! People would appear from all over campus following the smell of fresh baked bread. I left it there when I retired.

Bread not in a bread maker

I thought I would post our bread that we make religiously weekly. (this is from your sister site DiscussFitness.com where Cursor and I frequent)

Honey Oat Wheat Bread
Heat 2.5 cups of water to 110 degrees F (in preparation for the yeast). Add 1.5 cups of unbleached wheat flour, 1.5 cups of rolled oats, 1/3 cup gluten flour (to help the wheatbread raise), 1/3 cup canola oil, 1/6 cup honey, 1/6 cup molasses. Mix well.

Now you have a nice warm home for the 1.5 tbsp of quick-acting yeast. Go ahead and add it now...

Add 1 tbsp salt (don't worry, this'll make two nice big loaves), 1 cup of cursor multi-grain mix (see below), another 1.5 cups of rolled oats, and another 3.0 to 3.5 cups of the whole wheat flour (stop adding when the mixture starts to come clean from the sides of the mixing bowl).

Kneed thoroughly.

VERY lightly spray the inside surfaces of two large loaf pans with Pam (or equal brand). Separate into two loaves. Place loaves in pans and place (covered with a clean dish towel) in a warm area. Let rise for about 45 min to an hour (depends on the room temp).

When it has risen to double size, place in a 350 degree F preheated oven for 30 minutes. When done, remove from oven, and pop them out (just turn them upside down, then gently shake). Ideally, cool them on an open-air rack. Best if you don't slice immediately since it will simply deform the hot bread.

Don't even think about putting butter on it... (you'd better not have any in your house
wink.gif
) Be VERY careful though?it's really easy to go overboard. I've calculated that each slice (average 1.9 oz, about 16 slices per loaf) supplies you with 5g protein, 17g carbohydrate (+1g fiber), 3g fat = 115 calories.

It only takes me about 20 minutes of my time to make a couple of loaves (plus the rising, plus the cooking)?but oh the rewards!
_____

cursor multi-grain mix -- equal parts
GNC Soy baking mix
flax seed
bulger wheat
sunflower seeds
wheat germ
oat bran

Last edited:
Corey123 said:
So sorry to hear that you've got an allergy to yeast. Does that also mean that you can't buy yeast bread from the store as well?:ermm:

But you can STILL buy a bread machine to make quick breads and cakes. My
Zojirushi allows the production of quick breads and cakes as well as jams.:chef:

~Corey123.

Yes this means no bread or donuts well I do cheat and have a donut from time to time. but no french bread or other breads with yeast. Oh I do miss them. But I was never a big bread eater. If I found a bread machine for 20.00 at a garage sale or something I would likely buy it but at this point It is not at the top of my list of things I want. Now I do want a food processor and will likely pick one up this month.

I have a bread machine, but I find I never really use it. There is something about bread baked in a traditional pan that you just can't get with a bread machine. I do, however use it for making dough if I’m in a hurry.

Back
Top Bottom