How to remove such stain in kitchen sink?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
I have tried scrubbing with baking soda, vinegar, and even toothpaste

but none of them works...... not even a little bit could be removed....

I am not sure what the sink is made of....but not stainless steel or metal for sure...

Please look at the taken pictures below

sink1.jpg
sink2.jpg
sink3.jpg

It looks like an old sink. Based on the fine network of cracks it's probably porcelain. Use a scouring powder like Barkeepers Friend or Bon Ami to scrub the stains with.

Before you go to bed for the night, put a plug in the sink and fill it to the top with a very strong mixture of hot water and bleach. I would use at least 3 cups of bleach, and then add the hot water.
It will look lots better in the morning but you will have to repeat doing that when it starts looking bad again.
The sink is worn out.

Last edited:
I agree with Kayelle and GG.

Maybe it can be re-enamelled, the way bathtubs can be re-enamelled. It might not be worth the cost though.

I get a powerful peroxide cleaner meant for urinals.
It removes stains I get on my porcelain from the well water that not even the water softner can handle.

It is 23% - wicked stuff, so protect your lungs, hands and rinse well!

I broke down and resurfaced my sink and tub. It worked great on the tub, but stains started to seep through on the sink. I believe there was mold down in the crazing, so maybe the bleach or other methods stated above could help!

Before you go to bed for the night, put a plug in the sink and fill it to the top with a very strong mixture of hot water and bleach. I would use at least 3 cups of bleach, and then add the hot water.
It will look lots better in the morning but you will have to repeat doing that when it starts looking bad again.
The sink is worn out.

hot water and concentrated bleach???? Sounds like it will even damage the sink??

It looks like an old sink. Based on the fine network of cracks it's probably porcelain. Use a scouring powder like Barkeepers Friend or Bon Ami to scrub the stains with.

I'm not in US so I cannot find the products you recommended, I'll have to look for alternatives. But what is the active ingredient in doing so?

Kenny, I believe Chlorox laundry products are widely available in Asia? I googled bleach in Asia.

If you can get the powdered sort, make it into a paste and spread on. If a liquid, depending on the strength, 23% will clean it immediately, less than that I suggest you place a cloth over the area and saturate with the liquid.

Please be careful! Whether 3% or 23% it is still very toxic.

and yes, eventually it will eat away at the porcelain. I'm talking over a long period of time but I can't say just how much time. I painted my cast iron tub when the porcelain became very porous. First time was great, I was told it would last about 5 years, I got 7 out of it. The second time it was done (be the same person) I think the years of working with the stuff made him a little wonky, the application was not that even and was not nice. I didn't call him back, think he was in no condition to work.

Sorry, forgot to mention the actual ingredients...

oxygen-based bleaches, hydrogen peroxide breaks down safely into water and oxygen and is a more environmentally-friendly bleach than
I normmally use this in my kitchen and bathroom..

but I use this for the bad stains from my well water, about once a month,
chlorine bleach (sodium hypochlorite).

it is the chlorine bleach that is the most dangerous (environmentally and direct health) but is probably the one that would work in your case.

hope this helps

Sorry, forgot to mention the actual ingredients...

oxygen-based bleaches, hydrogen peroxide breaks down safely into water and oxygen and is a more environmentally-friendly bleach than
I normmally use this in my kitchen and bathroom..

but I use this for the bad stains from my well water, about once a month,
chlorine bleach (sodium hypochlorite).

it is the chlorine bleach that is the most dangerous (environmentally and direct health) but is probably the one that would work in your case.

hope this helps

Actually, sodium hypochlorite breaks down too. It becomes salt water. It breaks down faster when diluted with water.

taxy, it may break down but undiluted, which is the form one usually gets it in, is still a corrosive with dangerous fumes.

taxy, it may break down but undiluted, which is the form one usually gets it in, is still a corrosive with dangerous fumes.

Definitely corrosive. It's just less of an environmental problem than most of us would guess. That doesn't mean it's safe to just pour bleach any old place or breath the fumes or mix it with anything. But, it does tend to break down on its journey through the pipes from your sink.

s&p - I'm sure the pumice stone would work, but it would also remove the porcelain/enamel. Some of the other suggestions will also do that but not as fast as a pumice.
IMHO :neutral::angel:

Had a enamel sink years ago and i use the hot water and Clorox bleach, I whiten it right it every time and no damage. Then remodeled kitchen and all stainless went in.

Back
Top Bottom