I'm So Old That I Remember...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember when we had a large book with everyone's name, address, and telephone number in it. It was kept under the telephone, which had a cord. Also, everyone was on a "party line" unless you were hoity-toity and paid extra for a private line.
I remember the ‘buzz’ around school when one of our hoity-toity classmates got a turquoise princess telephone with a lighted dial for her bedroom.
1959-Princess-Phone-Blue_84cfe0ea-e118-4c1d-b5ea-c476cf11c849.4cf46b9cec1a5f2b8872eca7c66e72f3.jpeg

I would have been jealous of anyone who had their own phone in their parents' home back then, even if it was a plain black one.
So very true, taxy! So very true.
I still use margarine and the evil Crisco for some baking because they give a different result than butter.

“Everything in moderation, including moderation.” - Oscar Wilde
True again! Margarine, Crisco and butter all work differently in baking. It was my daughter that taught me that.

I remember the ‘buzz’ around school when one of our hoity-toity classmates got a turquoise princess telephone with a lighted dial for her bedroom.
1959-Princess-Phone-Blue_84cfe0ea-e118-4c1d-b5ea-c476cf11c849.4cf46b9cec1a5f2b8872eca7c66e72f3.jpeg
My favorite phone back then. Loved these. Had one in my room until I 'upgraded' to a cordless. I missed my Princess phone, but the freedom of being able to walk through the house and talk on the phone at the same time was priceless.

My favorite phone back then. Loved these. Had one in my room until I 'upgraded' to a cordless. I missed my Princess phone, but the freedom of being able to walk through the house and talk on the phone at the same time was priceless.
The kitchen wall phones with a tangled 10’ cord were a big step forward for busy homemakers and teenagers looking for a bit of privacy. 🤭

1712740115013.jpeg

I loved my long cord. I could walk all around the citchen cooking with that phone glued to my ear. Such freedom! The precursor to the wireless.

The kitchen wall phones with a tangled 10’ cord were a big step forward for busy homemakers and teenagers looking for a bit of privacy. 🤭

View attachment 68796
We never did end up with a wall phone. My mom had a gossip bench in the kitchen, so we always stuck with that along with the desk phone that was on it. It was that way as long as I can remember, until my parents divorced and we moved out of that house in the late 70's. It wasn't until the 80's that I got my own phone for my room, living in a different house from the one I grew up in.

Remember department store charge-a-plates?

1712755065834.jpeg

In 1974 President Ford signed the Equal Credit Opportunity Act that became effective in 1975.

2024 is the 50th Anniversary of a Woman being able to get a Credit Card WITHOUT the Signature of a MAN!

LET THAT SINK IN!

I remember looking up at the night sky wondering which bright lights were stars, which were planets, and which were satellites.

Nowadays there's so much light pollution it's pretty hard to make out anything.
It's so sad. I just want to gaze at the night stars

Typewriters. I remember typing on them; it feels like it was just yesterday
Believe it or not, I still use a typewriter at work. Not for anything major. We're a small office of two people (my boss and I) so we don't have a bunch of fancy equipment. Therefore I use the typewriter for things like address labels, file folder labels, envelopes, just general stuff.

Believe it or not, I still use a typewriter at work. Not for anything major. We're a small office of two people (my boss and I) so we don't have a bunch of fancy equipment. Therefore I use the typewriter for things like address labels, file folder labels, envelopes, just general stuff.
Is it at least electric?

When I worked for a shipping company back in the early 1970s in Copenhagen, I typed on an old, heavy mechanical typewriter. You know the kind that don't have the digit 1, you used a lower case L instead. I remember typing bills of lading in seven copies, using carbon paper between the sheets. You had to really hit those keys hard for the letters to show up on the bottom of the stack copies. And I used a hand cranked calculator. It looked something like these

hand cranked calculator.jpgmechanical-calculator-tigers.jpg

Back
Top Bottom