Is this a steamer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Discovered Cooking

Assistant Cook
Hi, I lived out of a microwave oven all my life, now I discovered real cooking.

Could anyone tell me what I have? Looks like a steamer but the bottom pan has a big hole and the lip is so shallow no food could be safely put there. Also seems to be a leaker if placed directly on a burner.

How to use? Am I missing any parts? Is there a brand name for this cookware so I can read up on its use?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• steamer1.jpg
    steamer1.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 17
  • steamer2.jpg
    steamer2.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 15
  • steamer3.jpg
    steamer3.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 14
  • steamer4.jpg
    steamer4.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 16
I'd have to agree about it being a smoker.

OP, be aware that you MUST have outside ventilation with a strong fan if using a stovetop smoker. Otherwise, you will end up with a house full of smoke.

I'm inclined to say it's a stove top smoker.
Thanks for the tip! I'da never thought. I had just discovered standalone electric and there have always been the steaming baskets.

I couldn't find the exact item for sale or described on the internet but watched several youtube videos about the process. It seems from the big hole in the bottom pan that it would work best on a gas stovetop, the hot flame blowing up through the hole and heating the next pan with the wood chips.

It could use a hole for a probe thermometer.

Thanks again, that was quick!

medtran - I don't know about that particular smoker - what you've said could very well be true and OP should be prepared.

BUT, that being said...
my stovetop smoker does not need outside ventilation for smoke. There is barely a wisp of smoke come out of it. One of the reasons I got it! Works great. I do however, use the vent fan - only because I think of carbon monoxide. All the instructions make no mention of it but it did cross my mind.

Hence - OP turn on the fan anyhow!

Thanks for the tip! I'da never thought. I had just discovered standalone electric and there have always been the steaming baskets.

I couldn't find the exact item for sale or described on the internet but watched several youtube videos about the process. It seems from the big hole in the bottom pan that it would work best on a gas stovetop, the hot flame blowing up through the hole and heating the next pan with the wood chips.

It could use a hole for a probe thermometer.

Thanks again, that was quick!
standalone electric steamers

Discovered Cooking - should have mentioned - go to stove top smokers not your brand, of course, but they will give you recipes and tell you how it works.
Very yummy stuff.

Hope you stick around and let us know how you do!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom