ISO Fish that doesn't turn to mush

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks for all the replys everyone!! very much appreciated!
some of the fish people have mentioned i have never seen in the fish market, but a couple i have, for some reason i never thought to use Tuna...don't ask why - just never did lol

beep beep beep - backing off on the cooking time :)

things i will try because i have actually seen them in the fish market lol
flake/shark....currently that is our "fish of the dish" :) we likeeee that one!
-cod
-snapper

things i don't think i can try - never seen them before in the fish market
-monkfish
-wahoo? do u yahoo? jk sorry :) :D - never heard of that though- but mmmmmm looks good!!!!
-halibut

i asked my bf if it was tilapia that was horrible and he said it was...there is flavour...must be aussie water or something LOL jokes - still i might....try it again lol

lol college_cook..there are heaps of different types of curries you could try, its not like my favourite dish or anything but variation never hurt anyone :) the other day i fried nile perch with slits in it and rubbed in some "fish powder kinda like curry powder but not" and it was really overpowering but my bf LOVED it. i thought the stuff was way too salty :S...one of those tastebud things i think LOL

Ok so, I tried Tuna.
It was nice and "hard" and had the consistency of Chicken LOL

Rom, the tuna was over cooked if it was like chicken!! Try the shark or snapper as they work well and are easy gets in Oz. A couple of the posts on page two said to put the chunks of raw fish into the warmed curry sauce and only heat for a couple of minutes. That's the way I would do it. Haven't tried it for an Indian curry but have for a Thai green (or was it red??) curry. The swordfish would work well too. You could also try blue eye cod (which isn't a cod at all). Huey is always using that on his shows so it is also an easy get on your side of the country.

Next time you want to try tuna, cook it in some teriyaki sauce with either noodles or rice. Just sear on both sides as it will continue cooking when out of the pan. you still want it to be darkish in the middle. Yum!! Shark and salmon work well like this too although cook the salmon more than the tuna, and the shark more than the salmon.

We liked it like that, so it was fine lol
i didn't actually cook the curry i did something else but we liked it nice and chunky lol

Yeah, EEl isn't bad at all. Although it's not something you can get that easily in a normal fishmarket round here. If i go an hour away probably easy to find...but unless i got some ice and stuff, well that eel's going to go yuk lol

Back
Top Bottom