Labor Day in the Kitchen - 9/7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Well, It isn't the Labor Day that used to be ; no Family gatherings around the backyard grill, salads of different varieties carried in by cousins and aunts... lawn games, lots of kids running around ; usually in the back yard of the Uncle with the pool............ Nope ! Those days have faded away with the advent of social media and social distancing...........

So,

Kinda-sorta Shrimp & Sausage Jambalaya and a Bean Salad.......

Attachments

• Jambalaya, Shrimp & Sausage.jpg
    Jambalaya, Shrimp & Sausage.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 75
I am using up some tomatoes from the garden..I wizzed up some beefsteak tomatoes, strained them and made a cream of tomato soup..added a couple of big crutons and melted cheese on top..we had some calamari to go with it..

Attachments

• 119042645_606107986743008_2272499207696016267_n.jpg
    119042645_606107986743008_2272499207696016267_n.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I am feeling kinda beat as I didn't sleep well last night so I put off my plans to smoke a chicken until tomorrow. Tonight we had grilled burgers and beer.

I made "bachelor surprise", but made an Asian inspired sauce that I added at the end. It was quite tasty. I've been making "bachelor surprise" for so long, that there isn't much surprise.

Attachments

• IMG_20200907_182640.jpg
    IMG_20200907_182640.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 62
I made 3 more jars of pickles - one quart and two 3 cup jars, which the last of the cukes fit into. As I fit them into the jars, I had to cut 2" off 3 of them, and about an inch off the others, and these pieces I used in my last batch of gazpacho, which I still had plenty of ripe tomatoes for. I didn't have any more cukes to dice for the garnishes, but plenty of the other things. And I used that tomato vinegar I got, instead of the sherry vinegar, which is the traditional, and the tomato vinegar was delicious. I won't say it was better, but just as good, though I didn't try them next to each other. If I had been sharing this with the friends, like I usually do, I would have made more before, with some of each, and compared them next to each other.

The usual cookout suspects surrounded a new dish, a farro and olive salad. Poor hot dog was half nekkid, but I couldn't find any long buns. More meat to bread ratio? No complaint.

IMG_20200907_204210684_HDR.jpg

I had to look hard and long to find a restaurant in town that was open and NOT fast food. The truck stop was the only choice. 45 minute wait for my food, I had a pastrami sandwich with cole slaw and onion rings. Very tasty and the price was right.

BB ribs and horseradish potato salad. The ribs were done on my BGE. We used sauces from a local place called 4 Rivers BBQ, one mustard and one Memphis style.

36788-albums1069-picture8426.jpg

Back
Top Bottom