Medical Marijuana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh. Well, that makes sense, of a sort. I can remember when most stores weren't open on Sunday in St. Louis but I don't think it was the law.
Just tradition. Maybe.

Although I welcomed the idea of being able to shop on Sunday I'm not sure I like it because of what it means. However, with the advent of more women working------ it certainly makes sense and I understand it.

Over the years, I have become accustomed to stores being open on Sundays, but I don't know if I will ever get used to them being open on holidays. I would not want to be one of those employees who did not get to spend the holiday with their families. I know that medical workers have faced this for years and will for years to come. But shopping is not a necessity.

To be on topic, I think medical marijuana should be available if there is nothing else that helps.

What???? :LOL: Where???? And-----WHY??????

Stores like Walmart, could not sell anything but food on Sunday mornings. The side where the clothes are was roped off. They even made the stores half and half for this particular reason. They could keep the food side open before 1:00 pm on Sundays, but were required to not allow the sale of any other non-essential items. Like socks.
Convenience stores were not under the same rule and could sell anything but alcohol on Sundays. So this is where you could get cigs on Sunday morning.
Now if the convenience store had socks. I assume you could buy them. :ROFLMAO:

Addie is likening the income made on returnables as unreported income, I believe. Somehow I don't think that income is as high as the illegal sale of marijuana.

Deposits are paid for when purchasing the container and its contents. The refund is just getting back (refunding) what was already paid. There is no income unless you do this for a living.
But even in this case, it would be double taxation as deposit is taken out of the initial purchase price of the item.

Cave, I think Roll Bones was referring to when no stores were open on Sundays by law, so you couldn't buy anything, such as socks. But he said "until recently" and that was way back.

Correct. But some stores could open and some couldn't. Since convenience stores sell food, they were exempt and so were cigarettes. Booze was not allowed on Sunday anywhere until just recently.

Instead my mind went to those dumb laws (some of which are still on the books!) like "Men who wear moustaches are forbidden from kissing women."
Visions of being able to buy a shirt or blouse but no socks danced in my head. :LOL:

You have successfully envisioned correctly how the state of SC is run. :ROFLMAO:
In 1983, the state of SC approved medical marijuana. It is the law.
But the people that run/ruin this state have found a way to not fund the program. Believe it or not, if SC funded the law, we might have been one of the first in the nation to actually have MM.
But of course the powers that be could not allow this evil.

Over the years, I have become accustomed to stores being open on Sundays, but I don't know if I will ever get used to them being open on holidays. I would not want to be one of those employees who did not get to spend the holiday with their families. I know that medical workers have faced this for years and will for years to come. But shopping is not a necessity.

To be on topic, I think medical marijuana should be available if there is nothing else that helps.

I worked in a factory and talked to people that had been there 20 or more years and never once had Christmas off. Never in their 20 years service.
This is common in a state like ours where industry is king.
"God, Guns & BMW" is the unofficial state motto.

Roll_Bones;1350251 Deposits are paid for when purchasing the container and its contents. The refund is just getting back (refunding) what was already paid. There is no income unless you do this for a living. But even in this case said:
Didn't we (Americans) have a revolution over double taxation? :ermm:

A year ago the voters passed for the law on MM to be sold. The State is supposed to be setting up a system. They are dragging their heels. We also decriminalized personal possession of marijuana. It is now just a misdemeanor and not a felony. But only under a certain amount.

And recently we finally allowed for liquor stores to open for PM sales. Bar rooms still can't open until one p.m. on a Sunday. And up until the 80's, we still had the law on the books that you had to carry your blunderbust to services to ward off savages. We do move slowly in this state. There are still a couple of Blue Laws on the books though. :angel:

A year ago the voters passed for the law on MM to be sold. The State is supposed to be setting up a system. They are dragging their heels.
How are they dragging their heels? Things are moving along. They approved a number of licenses in most of the counties. They might need to redo the licensing because of some people complaining it was done unfairly, but things are moving along.

And recently we finally allowed for liquor stores to open for PM sales.
Wait what? I have lived here since the late 70's and never heard of this. There was a time when we could not buy alcohol on Sundays, but that changed years ago. I have never heard of not being able to buy alcohol in the evening. Am I reading that right or am I misunderstanding?

It was for Taxation Without Representation. :angel:

That's right, but I also believe that somewhere in the background there was some kerfuffle about certain things being taxed twice. At least that's what I remember reading.

That's right, but I also believe that somewhere in the background there was some kerfuffle about certain things being taxed twice. At least that's what I remember reading.

Double taxation is pretty common considering that we pay tax on our income and then pay taxes on purchases of all types, gas, automobiles, clothes, utilities, etc...

The money needs to come from somewhere, but I say tax everything that I don't use! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

This quote from Sen. Russell Long, of Louisiana sums up my feelings nicely "Don't tax me. Don't tax thee. Tax that man behind the tree!"

Now back to the original thread. Puff, puff, pass!

Last edited:
Double taxation is pretty common considering that we pay tax on our income and then pay taxes on purchases of all types, gas, automobiles, clothes, utilities, etc...

I know---- Sigh. Maybe we should revolt! But if we keep puffing we'd be too mellow to start a revolution. :LOL:

How are they dragging their heels? Things are moving along. They approved a number of licenses in most of the counties. They might need to redo the licensing because of some people complaining it was done unfairly, but things are moving along.

Wait what? I have lived here since the late 70's and never heard of this. There was a time when we could not buy alcohol on Sundays, but that changed years ago. I have never heard of not being able to buy alcohol in the evening. Am I reading that right or am I misunderstanding?

PM starts at noontime. :angel:

Deposits are paid for when purchasing the container and its contents. The refund is just getting back (refunding) what was already paid. There is no income unless you do this for a living.
But even in this case, it would be double taxation as deposit is taken out of the initial purchase price of the item.

Once again, I am not stupid, you do not have to teach/correct me. I was merely clarifying what Addie had said.

PM starts at noontime. :angel:
Ahhh OK, my bad for not realizing you were talking about Sunday only. I read that as you meaning every day. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

So getting back on topic, what about your comment about the state dragging their heels on MM? Can you elaborate on that?

I was going to post a question about medical marijuana but decided to google it first. I am so glad I did!! I was so far off base, you guys would have been laughing for days!! And no, I'm NOT going to tell you what the question was.

Ahhh OK, my bad for not realizing you were talking about Sunday only. I read that as you meaning every day. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

So getting back on topic, what about your comment about the state dragging their heels on MM? Can you elaborate on that?

It just seems to be taking way too long to do as the voters want. I am surprised that our Legislature hasn't found some way to over ride the want on the voters. :angel:

Can you be more specific? The law has been passed. The licenses have issued. What is taking too long? What do you feel they have not done that they should have already done?

Can you be more specific? The law has been passed. The licenses have issued. What is taking too long? What do you feel they have not done that they should have already done?

Then why have none of the licensees opened for business? :angel:

Well for one thing, it has only been just over 2 months since the law went into effect. That is not a whole lot of time to have applicants go through the approval process. Even at that though they did get that part done. As I mentioned above though, there were some who felt the approval process was unfairly done so they have decided that it would be smart to not rush things and make sure things are done equitably. Would you agree it is better to make sure things are done right the first time instead of rushing to get it done super quickly? How soon after the law passed would you have felt it would have been reasonable to have the dispensaries open for business?

Well for one thing, it has only been just over 2 months since the law went into effect. That is not a whole lot of time to have applicants go through the approval process. Even at that though they did get that part done. As I mentioned above though, there were some who felt the approval process was unfairly done so they have decided that it would be smart to not rush things and make sure things are done equitably. Would you agree it is better to make sure things are done right the first time instead of rushing to get it done super quickly? How soon after the law passed would you have felt it would have been reasonable to have the dispensaries open for business?

Six to nine months. And that includes background checks. Those only take minutes. That is one of the jobs my daughter does when a Statie calls in for Wants and Warrants on a suspect. Those could be handled in just one day. Even though the police can go back only five years, the person being looked at still has his whole life criminal history available to certain State employees. So there is very little chance of some coming in under the radar.

If the Commission met more often, the dispensaries would be opened by now.

Believe me GB, it is not that I want to buy any. I have never tried it or have any interest in doing so. It is just that when the voters speak, our members of the Legislature are slow to act. Specially those who disapprove of, or disagree with the popular vote. :angel:

Six to nine months.
We are just in the beginning of the 3rd month so they still have three to six months to get the dispensaries open according to your timeline before you should feel they are not moving fast enough.

Back
Top Bottom