Monday, 1/23/2017, what's on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oooohhh, those meatballs sound divine Med!
We NEED to clear out some of those little bits of this and that in our `fridge.
I have some Beef Stew, Caldo Cerde Soup, Taco meats (Grilled Carne as well as Pollo), assorted chopped veggies from our Taco bar last night, Limu Ahi Poke (that I can't believe that DH and Mr DF didn't finish of yesterday), and last but certainly not least, homemade Lasagna... that'll make some kinda mixed plate :chef:

Oooohhh, those meatballs sound divine Med!
We NEED to clear out some of those little bits of this and that in our `fridge.
I have some Beef Stew, Caldo Cerde Soup, Taco meats (Grilled Carne as well as Pollo), assorted chopped veggies from our Taco bar last night, Limu Ahi Poke (that I can't believe that DH and Mr DF didn't finish of yesterday), and last but certainly not least, homemade Lasagna... that'll make some kinda mixed plate :chef:

We had a blizzard a couple weeks ago. After being snowed in for several days and cooking all kinds of stuff, a friend of mine posted on Fb that she was serving flights of soup that evening :ROFLMAO:

Pulled out thanksgiving turkey carcass from freezer; added corn, carrot, lentil, mushroom, tomato, onion, paprika, garlic, celery salt, red pepper flakes; and better than boullion to make a soup. There was still some meat on the neck bone and other bones, so peeled them off to toss back in, too.

We had a blizzard a couple weeks ago. After being snowed in for several days and cooking all kinds of stuff, a friend of mine posted on Fb that she was serving flights of soup that evening :ROFLMAO:

HA!
I love it, what a great idea...
and I just realized my typo above-caldo verde soup-dooh! very tasty stuff, it's smoky and porky and warms you through as well as fills your tummy, a hardy soup. I used yellow baby dutch taters rather than russets, only `cuz that's what I had on hand.
Last week I had a bunch a different things, knowing that we'd be house bound for a while as well GG. I did have to go down the road a piece for eggs and milk today between the snow and rain, tricky stuff boy, I'll tell you. But I think I did okay for a little gal from Hawaii :)

Our small plates.

37240-albums1041-picture6845.jpg

The agliata sauce was so good with the cauliflower.
37240-albums1041-picture6843.jpg

K-gril, we've made these several times before as part of a tapas meal. They are really good. You just have to be careful with the saffron. Just right, it's good. Too much, it tastes like medicine.

37240-albums1041-picture6844.jpg

As I wrote in my visitors from Europe again thread, these were the most tender escargot I have ever eaten. Made Craig a convert.

Some fancy dinners here tonight. Nice. We had...leftovers. :LOL: Good leftovers, but still leftovers.

I did make a big salad for us to share full of all sorts of add-ins. I also made a small amount of buttered noodles with fresh parsley, and butter/EVOO/salt roasted half-balls of deliciousness. Himself said that if you cut the Brussels sprouts in half and roast on high heat they aren't the least bit evil - even though he likes them any which way. :LOL: Anyway, he finished the pork tenderloin with shallots and had a bit of the chicken with lemon and mushrooms. I had some of the chicken and mushrooms, but there it still one small serving left. Anyone?

Attachments

• 2017-01-23 21.11.28.jpg
    2017-01-23 21.11.28.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 2017-01-23 21.42.29.jpg
    2017-01-23 21.42.29.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 104
Still under the weather here. TB is better and went to work after I made him Italian sausage with baked potato and the rest of the Greek salad I got from the deli with the Chicken yesterday.

I used up some meatballs from the freezer, gravy from the roast beef on Saturday and boiled some spaghetti. That used to taste okay but I barely got half of it down. If I am not better by tomorrow TB has threatened dragging me to the doctor. He said if I don't go he will knock me out cold, call an ambulance and pack me in it himself (the only way I told him I would ever go back to the hospital). We are both sure it is a chest infection but there isn't much they can do for me anyway so I would rather curl up with my pup (who has an ear infection and sleep it off.

I made my very first shredded (pulled) Pork last night. It was actually a double first time meal: the Pulled Pork and red beans (I found a Popeye's copycat and fiddled with it, it came pretty close) and served over rice. It was a strange pairing because I served the pork with hard taco shells and corn tortillas and taco toppings and the Cajun style beans and rice.

Sorry no pictures. It was late (DD got out of work at 10pm) and it smelled so good everyone dove in. LOL

As for the pork 4 lbs. bone, most of fat and skin removed (will probably use bone for bone broth and maybe make oven pork rinds if that's possible).

Cut the Pork into 1-2 inch cubes and seasoned. Placed in my Instant Pot hit the meat/stew button and adjust the time to 45 minutes and when done did a 10 natural pressure release. Took meat out and in was so tender and shredded like a dream. I set the pot to the sauté setting adjusted to more and let them reduce to a nice thick sauce. Which I then tossed with the pork.
Meanwhile the rice and beans were cooking.
The whole meal took about an hour to cook!

I had pork with a squeeze of fresh lime and beans and rice for my dinner, everyone else had tacos, beans and rice. WOW it was so good!

Who'd a thunk shredded pork in less then an hour.

I will be doing this again.

I didn't use heavy seasoning so I am thinking of putting some of the pork, tomato sauce, water and 3 minute quick cooking Ronzoni rotini in the IP. It should take 1 1/2 minutes for dinner to cook.

I LOVE MY INSTANT POT!!

Last edited:
Everyone's meals look and sound fantastic!!

Sending gentle hugs and warm thoughts to LP. Feel better.

My dinner last night pictures aren't very good.

Shredded pork

img_1496768_0_431e89ca2a63b737471f15721cdab387.jpg

Red beans and rice

img_1496768_1_c3e43141733b88cb0be9c7d681984c4e.jpg

I made my very first shredded (pulled) Pork last night. It was actually a double first time meal: the Pulled Pork and red beans (I found a Popeye's copycat and fiddled with it, it came pretty close) and served over rice. It was a strange pairing because I served the pork with hard taco shells and corn tortillas and taco toppings and the Cajun style beans and rice.

Sorry no pictures. It was late (DD got out of work at 10pm) and it smelled so good everyone dove in. LOL

As for the pork 4 lbs. bone, most of fat and skin removed (will probably use bone for bone broth and maybe make oven pork rinds if that's possible).

Cut the Pork into 1-2 inch cubes and seasoned. Placed in my Instant Pot hit the meat/stew button and adjust the time to 45 minutes and when done did a 10 natural pressure release. Took meat out and in was so tender and shredded like a dream. I set the pot to the sauté setting adjusted to more and let them reduce to a nice thick sauce. Which I then tossed with the pork.
Meanwhile the rice and beans were cooking.
The whole meal took about an hour to cook!

I had pork with a squeeze of fresh lime and beans and rice for my dinner, everyone else had tacos, beans and rice. WOW it was so good!

Who'd a thunk shredded pork in less then an hour.

I will be doing this again.

I didn't use heavy seasoning so I am thinking of putting some of the pork, tomato sauce, water and 3 minute quick cooking Ronzoni rotini in the IP. It should take 1 1/2 minutes for dinner to cook.

I LOVE MY INSTANT POT!!

Popeye's tends to cater to the taste of the general public. I'm sure it was good, but try Paul Prudhomme's recipes for Red Beans which will be closer to the spice level desired in NOLA. Their "Dirty Rice" doesn't contain chicken livers or gizzards. I don't like the gizzards so Karen uses more livers. Just sayin, if you want a little more spice!:LOL:

Popeye's tends to cater to the taste of the general public. I'm sure it was good, but try Paul Prudhomme's recipes for Red Beans which will be closer to the spice level desired in NOLA. Their "Dirty Rice" doesn't contain chicken livers or gizzards. I don't like the gizzards so Karen uses more livers. Just sayin, if you want a little more spice!:LOL:

This was fine for us. One DD doesn't like it spicey. She loved this version and we can add "hot" to ours if we want it. And none of us order or like dirty rice. But thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom