Old Venting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate those days where it seems like all you do is give other people money, jkath!

We've had more frustration in the last 24 hours than anyone should have!:rolleyes: DH was able to get home to help clear out from the storm. We had about 5-6" of snow, topped by a good couple inches of ice, then more snow. DH got one swipe of the driveway done with the snow blower and a tire blew out!:ohmy: Luckily, the car garage up the road from us said that if we could get the tire there, they'd fix it. We couldn't get the tire off so DH had to load the whole blower in the back of the car, just about breaking his back in the process.

Today, we had our new mattress delivered. We hated to spend the $$ right now but we really, really needed a new one. They guys brought in the new one, and as they took the old one down the steps the box springs got caught on the banister. Rather than lifting up the box springs, they just rammed right through, ripping our banister off!:mad: They claimed they didn't do it and that it was like that when they got here. Ha! DH refused to sign the delivery slip saying that everything was OK, so they took back the new mattress, brought the old one back in, dragging it through the slush. DH spent all day on the phone with the store and the store's headquarters in MD and he was pretty much told tough--take the mattress or not. They're standing by their delivery guys who swear they did nothing and won't believe DH.

Sofie is still working on her miserable molar, had her 15 mo check-up today and is having a tough time from the shot they gave her. I woke up yesterday with a horrendous headache and was told today that I have yet another sinus infection. I have a dentist appt next week and DH has an eye Dr appt and both offices called today to tell us that suddenly they don't have any insurance record for us--ins has accidentally dropped us and now we have to get that straightened out, too!

Let's hope tomorrow is a little easier!:rolleyes:

jkath said:
boy do I need to vent...
Yesterday I got 2 new tires to replace the balding ones! (*ouch!*)
Last night dh's car's engine nearly overheated, so he got a rental car (*little ouch*) and today his buddy, the mechanic said it needed a new water pump (*ouch!!)
Today my house only had cold water. So, I tried to restart the pilot light. No luck, so the Gas Company guy said since my water heater was only a couple of years old, it was the "new model that nobody can get into", so, yep, you guessed it, tomorrow I have to buy and have installed a new one. (*ouch!!!)
I just finished paying the sliding door guy (*ouch!!!!)

and now I'm taking the kids over to mil's for their hot showers.

Sorry jkath....."When it rains it pours"!

tell ya what, I'll just take some rain and get rid of this warm spell! That would make me happy!
Actually, I can at least say that my new door is beautiful. Here's Milgard's stock photo of it:
img-classic-french-sliding.jpg

Wow Jkath, that door would make any day a little sunnier!! We are also looking for a glass door into the balcone of our new flat, that is one inspiration!! And look at that shiny floor that reflects the beautiful door!! I hope you won't have to vent about how hard you have to work on keeping it that way!!:LOL:

Ugh, life is full of fun and games, isn't it PA!! As if going to see a doc is not bad enough, problems with insurance!!:yuk: I really hope you will all be fit soon so you won't have to worry about that, and those matress people... that is some customer service, it is not an Italian company is it? (sounds like something happens regularly here!!) Chances are you have yet to talk to the right person or department, you ought to be entitled for a proper compensation for the damage!! Try persisting and not let them have their way. I will keep my fingers crossed for ya!

PA Baker said:
I hate those days where it seems like all you do is give other people money, jkath!

We've had more frustration in the last 24 hours than anyone should have!:rolleyes: DH was able to get home to help clear out from the storm. We had about 5-6" of snow, topped by a good couple inches of ice, then more snow. DH got one swipe of the driveway done with the snow blower and a tire blew out!:ohmy: Luckily, the car garage up the road from us said that if we could get the tire there, they'd fix it. We couldn't get the tire off so DH had to load the whole blower in the back of the car, just about breaking his back in the process.

Today, we had our new mattress delivered. We hated to spend the $$ right now but we really, really needed a new one. They guys brought in the new one, and as they took the old one down the steps the box springs got caught on the banister. Rather than lifting up the box springs, they just rammed right through, ripping our banister off!:mad: They claimed they didn't do it and that it was like that when they got here. Ha! DH refused to sign the delivery slip saying that everything was OK, so they took back the new mattress, brought the old one back in, dragging it through the slush. DH spent all day on the phone with the store and the store's headquarters in MD and he was pretty much told tough--take the mattress or not. They're standing by their delivery guys who swear they did nothing and won't believe DH.

Sofie is still working on her miserable molar, had her 15 mo check-up today and is having a tough time from the shot they gave her. I woke up yesterday with a horrendous headache and was told today that I have yet another sinus infection. I have a dentist appt next week and DH has an eye Dr appt and both offices called today to tell us that suddenly they don't have any insurance record for us--ins has accidentally dropped us and now we have to get that straightened out, too!

Let's hope tomorrow is a little easier!:rolleyes:

Boy you too had a rotten day...sorry PA! Your story with the delivery guys reminds me of the last home we renovated and sold. I'd spent 2 days hanging wallpaper, paining and putting up the trim in one room. The following day the carpet layers came and totally destroyed all my work. Wallpaper was torn, gouges in the trim and the paint was all scratched up....not to mention the huge gouge in the oak trim on the lower landings stairs where they missed with what appears to be a hammer head. I was devestated. Company made it right and paid for my time and gave us a store credit for all the materials needed but again it took me all the time again to go back to the store and to do all the work all over again. Come to find out the company just hired out to have the carpet laid....it wasn't even one of their employees. I'll def. be sure to ask that before I have carpet laid in this home.

Hope you and jkaths day is better today!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Sizz, don't scare me... we are about to do the complete rennovation of our new flat!!:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

We are right now at the stage of choosing which group of interior workers, we know we need to be very careful to select the right people... not an easy task!!:wacko:

urmaniac13 said:
Oh Sizz, don't scare me... we are about to do the complete rennovation of our new flat!!:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

We are right now at the stage of choosing which group of interior workers, we know we need to be very careful to select the right people... not an easy task!!:wacko:

Sorry but I'm just as scared as you because within the next month or so I'll be tackling the painting / trim project in a room and having the carpet installed. I'm going to tell the workers straight up about my prior experience as soon as they come inside because I want them to be extra careful. I'll do it nice and sweet though. I'll be especially devestated this time because I'm doing a special painting technique where it'll look antique or old world on the trim and thats extremely time consuming.

Cris is also very wary, as he already have some less than pleasant experience with this kind of workers. Actually he loves and very good at DIY and would have done it all by himself only if he had the time.
But he may have to spend a whole lot of time all the same supervising them, just to make sure they will get it right. Unfortunately I, who can be available for the task most of the time, am pretty much useless, having lived in apartment complexes or rented property for most of my life, this is my first "home improvement" experience ever, I really have no idea what to watch out for!!:wacko:

Well, good luck to both of us!!

urmaniac13 said:
Cris is also very wary, as he already have some less than pleasant experience with this kind of workers. Actually he loves and very good at DIY and would have done it all by himself only if he had the time.
But he may have to spend a whole lot of time all the same supervising them, just to make sure they will get it right. Unfortunately I, who can be available for the task most of the time, am pretty much useless, having lived in apartment complexes or rented property for most of my life, this is my first "home improvement" experience ever, I really have no idea what to watch out for!!:wacko:

Well, good luck to both of us!!

Bless you my child...I'll be thinking of you. No matter how long you expect it to take, multipy it by 4. :ROFLMAO:

Half Baked said:
Bless you my child...I'll be thinking of you. No matter how long you expect it to take, multipy it by 4. :ROFLMAO:

Tell me about it!! We acquired this flat at the end of last year, and Cris thought we would be moving in by March, and nothing have actually started as yet!!:ohmy: :wacko:

my thoughts are with all of you doing home renos---yuck-but so nice in the end.

I'm venting because i'm sick again(or still). It is in my chest.Feels like i'm breathing through a sheet of paper.Always coughing.I was taking a chest decongestint,but started feeling better so stopped ,but now 3 days later i feel worse than before.Since the BF is gone for 10 days at a time i'm the left doing it all.We live so far out of town,and when it snows:huh: oh my i hate it the driveway is so long and so much work(no,we don't have a snowblower.i wish) I love my girls,but i am so tired of the mentally of a teenager--only thinking of themselves first...it's a little hard to take sometimes ,more so now when i feel so rotten.I didn't want but think i need to go to the doctor...what a why to spend the few days doug is home...sick:(. We were to go to dinner(belated v-day) but no babysitter(girls again) until sunday when they aren't busy. Not how i was hoping to spend my weekend.

BabyHuggies, I don't mean to kick you when you're sick and down but.....

imho you need to take control. You need some rest to help your immune system catch up. Heck with the teenage attitude - her job is to shovel the driveway. Maybe some friends will help her.

I'm sure she's able to make a breakfast/lunch/dinner with some instruction from you (in bed!). You will be no good to anyone if you're sickly and weak. Take some time for yourself. Bejeezus, you're sick.

Can't the teen babysit? Maybe she needs to shoulder some more responsibility. If she helps out, perhaps it's the time to lighten up on a restriction. Maybe let her stay out a 1/2 hr or hour later on the weekend.

urmaniac & sizz - before these people even give you a bid, make them show you all their credentials!!! I'm not sure what they have in Italy, but as for you, sizz, make sure they are licensed, bonded and insured and that their workman's comp is up to date. This will save you the possibility of a lawsuit!
I got lucky finding my glass guy. I went through an online service (it's the same one I used when I had my palm trees removed) that pre-screens contractors. You can also see what other people have said about their work.

babyhuggies, Jan's right - you need rest, girl! Sometimes teenagers really can be a bit, well, lazy, but tell her you really need her help and thank her in advance for doing it. BTW, by your photo, I'd have guessed you at being young enough to only having tiny tots!

Thanks for the tip jkath.....I just assumed they were already checked out by the company that hired them out but will check myself.

Urmaniac......this is our 3rd house that we've completely remodeled.....we'll this one is still a work in project. This one is the most work because it involves more rooms. It'll take us at least 5 years to complete but when we purchased it we planned for this to be the last home we ever owned but I'm shamlessly admitting we're now considering selling it when we're done ;) . We made almost double our investment in the last home and would do the same with this one too. Thankfully DH and I love to remodel homes.....its so much fun to make it your own. No matter there are things we've bought in this home that I'll encorporate in any future home if thats the case. I highly recommend granite countertops and sinks....love love love them. Totally would not recommend laminate floors though....spend the extra and get the real thing.

Ok.....back to the topic ;)

BabyHuggies.......sounds like you've got a bacterial infection since its not giving up on you and you really do need an antibiotic to get rid of it. In the meantime if you have orange juice start chugging it ..... that is if your not a diabetic. Hope you feel better soon.

thank you all for the"tips";) I did see a doctor this evening and he told me that my chest is clear it may be somesort of infection on its own or one that triggers my athma--his advice wait it out.....Big help that was :mad:
so i bought some extra strength cold stuff and have my puffer.If i don't feel better in the next few days I'll go back...
As for the teens my BF had a little chat with them about helping me when they are at home while he is gone.

Be careful using your puffer, babyhuggies. I'd ask the doctor about that. If you have got an infection, using your puffer can send it into areas it hasn't yet reached.

If you haven't got an infection, might it be stress related? Or perhaps some kind of allergy?

I too have asthma and one year I thought it was very bad. Turned out we had a small patch of damp in the flat that had some mould. In the end, my coughing was only indirectly the asthma because I was allergic to the mould spores.

Snoop Puss said:
Be careful using your puffer, babyhuggies. I'd ask the doctor about that. If you have got an infection, using your puffer can send it into areas it hasn't yet reached.

If you haven't got an infection, might it be stress related? Or perhaps some kind of allergy?

I didn't know that about puffers! Thanks for the info.

I know my asthma acts up when I am stressed out and if I'm sick or frustrated, it can really get bad.

Babyhuggies, are the teens your BF's kids?

Half Baked, always ask your doctor for advice about this. Asthma is a terrible disease to have. I'm fortunate in that mine is only mild, my dad's is terrible, and I have a friend whose daughter is currently in intensive care following a major attack. I almost didn't post my comment because only a doctor will be able to say for sure what you should do. It's one of those conditions that you get so used to, you get blasé about it. But you do have to be careful.

Definately I'll ask my doc. I'm very careful since I've been in intensive care many times myself. Not breathing is exhausting, horrible and painful.

Last edited:
http://I have only just 'discovered' this thread.
I'm so sorry you've all had such a stressful time and hope things take an upturn soon for all of you.
Do you have 'positive' as well as 'negative' vents?
If so here's one.
Our daughter emailed me today to tell me that she's booking me into a hotel for 2 nights next week. It's very near to the hospital my husband will be in for 5 to 10 days from Wed. when he has his op. I am overwhelmed at her thoughtfulness as she knows I'm not a 'natural' city driver and she wanted me to have 2 days off from the 1½ hour drive each way. That, despite the fact that she is a single parent and has more than enough on her plate. It has really warmed my heart and it will be wonderful not having to do the drive for those 2 days.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom