On line shopping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
Who does it? What do you shop for? Why??

When I was in my teens, the mall was the place to go. When I was a young mother with small children, the mall was the place to go to get the kids out of the house for a while and not break the bank.

Now....I cannot stand shopping in the mall. I don't like the whole atmosphere any longer. However, I love to shop! I prefer a simple shop on an avenue or street with a front door.

I've also gotten quite familiar with on-line shopping. It started with making a few purchases with Amazon years ago. Now, I buy hot tub supplies, clothes, gift baskets, flowers, even a couple of olive trees this past christmas.

I don't have to battle the traffic or the parking lots. Instead, I get mail! And who doesn't love getting mail? (well, good mail, anyway:ermm:) Honestly, it saves me so much time, not to mention the gas and mileage on my leased car.

I just ordered 5 dresses (all for the upcoming NOLA trip!). I need new sunglasses, too...but somehow, I just know that is something I'm going to have to try on right on the spot, ya know. Same with shoes...

So, who else like to shop on line?

I also hate to shop. Typically I don't shop, which in my mind includes browsing. Rather, I go out to buy what I already know I want.

I buy clothes, computers, electronics, prescription refills, etc. online. My most recent and most expensive online purchase was a 52" LCD HDTV.

**huge** online shopper - mostly ebay & amazon. i tend to buy clothes & shoes in the real world, since they're things that one generally needs to try on first. but everything else? right there with ya VB, i *hate* the mall in my non-teenager-age.

couple of years ago i got an amazon.com credit card. it's one of the basic 1% cash-back sorts of cards, only instead of cash, random gift certificates to amazon show up in your mail. talk about getting nice things in the mail, it's like xmas every couple of months. especially considering that amazon now carries everything but pets and perishable foods.

oh, and i am a serious ebay junkie. it's the only way i can affordably feed my jewelry needs!

First, I have to say that, even though I'm a female and should have "shopping" genes, I thoroughly dislike shopping. Never really cared for it and, as a result, haven't been a mall person. It's been years since I've been to a mall. Don't even care for grocery shopping either, but that's just me.

When I shop, I much prefer unique, mom-and-pop type stores. I am fortunate here because the downtown section of our "shopping" town has been restored wonderfully and the variety of quaint and unusual shops and merchandise is awesome. I love it and DO enjoy my visits downtown.

My shopping began much like yours, Vera. Amazon. eBay probably started it all though. A lot of the time when Buck and I need something, we'll check eBay first. We've been very successful there.

I, too, enjoy getting good mail and appreciate how easy and trouble-free shopping online can be. As you said, no wear and tear on your vehicle, no expensive gasoline to use up, etc. I particularly like shopping online because I can do it any time night or day and do it wearing my jammies or my birthday suit. Can't do that at the mall!

If I'm considering a serious cookware, etc. purchase I try to touch and feel the item locally, if I can, then search for the best price on the Internet. Things that have to be tried on, well, I usually avoid buying online. I've never been a big fan of returning things.

All our children and grandchildren live very far away, so buying things for them online is especially important, especially when vendors offer free shipping. That's a no-brainer in my book.

Shopping on the Internet is one of today's best conveniences.

Unless I'm walking through Kohl's, Kaufmans or someplace trying to find a Christmas present for my sister, who prefers I hand pick something out for her, I only use stores to see merchandise in person. And even that isn't necessary most of the time with all the reviews you can read up on a product with.
Plus you don't have to bag you purchase shopping online! :ROFLMAO:

I know..... I'm an instigator.... ;)

Scrubs, dog and cat stuff from Fosters and Smith, nick nacks. Other than scrubs I like to do cothes in person. That's about it for me.

I buy lots of things online instead of going to a brick and mortar store. A great tool for online shopping is Froogle. I do my comparison shopping using that site.

I have never been a shopper, don't drive now, so usually all Christmas and Birthday gifts for my Grandsons are bought through Amazon. So easy - Easter, I will pick up a few summer things for them , other than that-internet shopping is for me !

I buy lots of my DVD's and books on line. I order most of them from one website (don't know if I can name it) where I don't have to pay tax or shipping and handling. It sure beats running around looking for these items. As far as clothes are, those I have to buy in the stores (very hard to fit).
My DH buys most of his hardware for his workshop on line. It sure beats the high prices they want to charge you here in town.

I had a feeling I wasn't alone in this. Internet shopping is huge. I even bought a spa afternoon for my daughter via their website.

We've even taken to making dinner reservations on line as well.

I still love shopping, especially if I'm on vacation, but never ever in a mall!

And those 'xyz' of the month clubs are great!

on line shopping

Who does it? What do you shop for? Why??

When I was in my teens, the mall was the place to go. When I was a young mother with small children, the mall was the place to go to get the kids out of the house for a while and not break the bank.

Now....I cannot stand shopping in the mall. I don't like the whole atmosphere any longer. However, I love to shop! I prefer a simple shop on an avenue or street with a front door.

I've also gotten quite familiar with on-line shopping. It started with making a few purchases with Amazon years ago. Now, I buy hot tub supplies, clothes, gift baskets, flowers, even a couple of olive trees this past christmas.

I don't have to battle the traffic or the parking lots. Instead, I get mail! And who doesn't love getting mail? (well, good mail, anyway:ermm:) Honestly, it saves me so much time, not to mention the gas and mileage on my leased car.

I just ordered 5 dresses (all for the upcoming NOLA trip!). I need new sunglasses, too...but somehow, I just know that is something I'm going to have to try on right on the spot, ya know. Same with shoes...

So, who else like to shop on line?

i haven't been to the mall in a year. then it was for eye glasses.
i absolutely love shopping on line. i do my grocery shopping once a month on line at a local store, delivered to my kitchen.

i buy almost everything else. a lot at walmart where they have site to store so on large items, save a bundle on shipping and handling. meant to say everything on line.

i bought a bunch of clothes on line at target.

baby clothes for our premie baby on line.

books, used to buy music but not so much anymore. i love getting packages in the mail. i don't drive at all so it is a godsend for me.

i pay all my bills on line. the internet is my best friend. and of course i talk to you guys on line. need an answer , google it. love love love it.

babe:mellow::mellow:

I only buy items online that I can't find in the shops, like a CD or DVD, as I have found the shipping costs to Perth make the item too expensive. I haven't got many materialistic wants, nor the money to indulge those that I do have, so it hasn't been much of an issue so far. But most of the times that I have thought to buy online, I have found that I could get the item cheaper from the shops.

Online, I have bought clothes, jewelry, books, CDs, DVDs, a computer, sewing patterns, fabric, a car, airplane tickets, Greyhound bus tickets, sheet music, a printer, computer memory, beads, carpet steamer, steam clothing press, craft kits, a Sammy Sosa bobblehead for James, and who knows what else. :)

:)Barbara

Clothes, groceries, auto parts I shop for at the store, most else I shop for online especially electronics and such.

One of the few disadvantages of living in Mexico - I have had to give up my online shopping habits! Too expensive for shipping, and excessive duty charged on any items coming over the border. When I absolutely have to have something I can't buy here (I am a painter, and use gouache paint, which is impossible to find here), I order it and have it sent to someone who is coming down to visit (my daughter comes every few months, and other friends have visitors who will "mule" items for us). Other guilty pleasures: shoes from Zappos.com and books, CDs and DVDs from Amazon.

Internet shopping is huge and incredibly convenient. But I keep finding myself worrying about the local guy trying to maintain his/her storefront and have been making a real effort to spread things around. Really trying to avoid the big box stores, if I can.

I can't seem to avoid the mall, as I have two young teens and they adore those loud, deliciously smelly stores that vibrate the walls when you walk by. You know the ones, they have holes in the jeans on the models, the gals have four tank tops and jeans that don't cover them on and everybody apparently surfs, even in Wisconsin!

I love online shopping. I haven't been to a mall in so long I can't remember and I don't miss it. I love being able to research an item I am interested in online and then search out the best price. Big ticket items purchased online from out of state vendors results in additional savings because I don't pay tax.

I still shop in brick and mortar stores for groceries and I love the hardware store but pretty much everything else I buy online. Ebay is my favorite place. Also Amazon. Zappos is great for buying shoes for my youngest son. Higher prices but liberal exchange/return policy and not having to drag a 5 year old shoes shopping is priceless! All my computer and related techie stuff I buy online - much less expensive and I can get exactly what I need/want. Really, almost anything I want to purchase is available online.

I think there is an environmental advantage, too. No more driving to different stores, seeking out the best prices. But my time is the biggest savings of all and the one I value the most!

The boss signed me up for a wine of the month club. I get a bottle of red and a bottle of white each month. It is great! And yes he bought it online.

If you haven't looked into that yet, you might be surprised at how many different types of options a person has with those clubs. So many, it's almost hard to make a final decision.

Internet shopping is huge and incredibly convenient. But I keep finding myself worrying about the local guy trying to maintain his/her storefront and have been making a real effort to spread things around. Really trying to avoid the big box stores, if I can.

I can't seem to avoid the mall, as I have two young teens and they adore those loud, deliciously smelly stores that vibrate the walls when you walk by. You know the ones, they have holes in the jeans on the models, the gals have four tank tops and jeans that don't cover them on and everybody apparently surfs, even in Wisconsin!

I agree with spreading it around...that's why I prefer to shop in a store that has 4, free standing walls. Usually, those stores are not part of a chain. Chain stores are not usually about giving the customer the best product/service, but the smaller shops are.

Back
Top Bottom