Penzeys Mail-order

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, looks like I'll need to downsize my order to get the jars with the shaker lids. Thanks UB.

You can still buy larger quanities that come in a Zip Lock type bag.
Fill your shaker jar...zip the bag back up...store in another zip lock...and stuff it in an old mayonnaise jar:LOL: Just keep it air tight! You can refill as needed.

Re: Penzey's blends, some of them are quite good. I particularly enjoy their "Hot Curry Powder" & their "Vindaloo" blend. Very spicy, flavorful & absolutely perfect when I'm in the mood to whip up something "Indian" but don't have the time or inclination to get into spice toasting & grinding.

As far as how to buy & store, our local Costco used to sell McCormick spices in large plastic shaker containers (8" tall x 3" wide) that hold quite a bit. I used to buy my Oregano, Crushed Red Pepper, etc., that way. However, Costco hasn't had these large containers in awhile, BUT - little packrat that I am - I saved all those containers & for once - VOILA - I now have perfect containers to house Penzey spices. The container labels even list the weight of the original ingredients so I automatically know how much to order that will fit in each one. :)

UB, I don't have to bury the jars out back, do I? :LOL:
Leave it to me to buy the squirt bottles anyway :rolleyes:

That was relatively painless. I called and was told that some of the spices with shaker tops come in the 1/2c jars, and others were limited to 1/4c jars, so we went through my order and aside from the salt and peppercorns which I ordered by the lb, all could be had with the 1/2c size jars. So I guess I'm set and will order the bags when I need a refill.

Thanks for all your help :)

When you get your order, they usually throw in a little sample of something for free too. Last time I got their sandwich sprinkle. it would have never been something I would have bought on my own, but now that I have tried it I really do like it and plan on getting more.

For your next order ;) , I don't usually buy blends either, but I love their Greek seasoning blend - oregano, garlic and lemon. Yum! So much easier for sprinkling on chicken or pork before grilling than chopping and zesting fresh.

For your next order ;) , I don't usually buy blends either, but I love their Greek seasoning blend - oregano, garlic and lemon. Yum! So much easier for sprinkling on chicken or pork before grilling than chopping and zesting fresh.

What's chopping and zesting fresh? :huh:
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Thanks, I'll create an account and stick that in my shopping cart for next time. :)

Yes. The woman who took my order asked me if I was close to Pgh because they had a store there.
Being a Browns fan, I said too close :LOL:

Penzeys is tops for quality. They have dropped a favorite of mine which was ground Turkish Bay leaves. Speaking of which the Whole Turkish Bay leaves themselves are unbelievable.

I love their peppers. I use a fair bit of white pepper and their Malasian white Sarawak is better than any I have found from any other source.

We have a lot of ethnic stores here but I find that Penzeys has better quality.

For years , as an example, I used white peppercorns from the Asian groceries here. Then I found the above white from Penzeys. There really isn't a way for me to describe the difference.

Someone commented on the Cooks Illustrated comparison of peppers. Yes they really liked Penzeys tellicherry but as is typical of their testing, only tellicherry was tested and then only from east coast centric brands. They really don't seem to know that some of us Americans actually live west of the Mississippi. I shouldn't pick on them, they actually do good work, although perhaps geographically challanged.

We can't have a Penzeys here in Seattle so I drive to Portland from time to time and visit theirs. Between 400 miles of gas and theusual $100+ I spend there I am not sure I can comment on the cheap prices. We do have a top quality spice house here in Seattle called World and I still buy from Penzeys, go figure.

I just got my order in today. Everything smelled great, especially the smoked paprika, but the powdered garlic did not have much of a smell...
Sure tastes like fresh garlic though (lol).

Hope you enjoy your goodies. Sometimes it pays to buy coarser cuts / grinds of some of Penzey's stuff because it keeps somewhat better. To get more mileage out of some of their stuff you can work it over in a mortar & pestle. I do that with dehydrated garlic, sage, rosemary, etc. The stuff that I finely powder seems to stick better to things like pork butt being prepared for roasting and to impart more flavor in salad dressing mixes. Hope you find the Penzey catalog makes interesting reading.

I started using Penzey's spices exclusively in the early summer and I'm sold. I love their adobo in guacamole, just a teaspoon and it takes it to another level. Vietnam Cassia Cinnamon is outstanding, just a 1/4 of a teaspoon in pancake batter and they can't be beat. Their salad dressing blends are outstanding and we love their horseradish sauce mix. I usually mix up a batch when I grill ribeyes and we lick the bowl clean. I've started looking for recipes that I can use their spices in. Try the recipes in the catalog, I've haven't tried a bad one yet. We routinely drive 200 miles round trip to go to one of their sticks and bricks stores.

Has anyone ever used "The Spice House"? I just found out about Penzy's through this thread wand will try them. I had been using spice house and was hoping for a comparason.

AC

I've tried The Spice House. I believe it's run by Bill Penzey's Sister Pam. If I'm not mistaken it's the original Penzey Spice Co. From what I understand, Bill went off to start his own spice company. It's a smaller company, much smaller. I have ordered from them but not for some years now.

I have heard of the Spice House, but never used them myself. The things I have heard have been good.

Has anyone ever used "The Spice House"? I just found out about Penzy's through this thread wand will try them. I had been using spice house and was hoping for a comparason.

AC

Yes. I go there with my mom when I am in Chicago.

I find them very similar. They are run by the same family as Penzey's.

Back
Top Bottom