Pluots, Ataulfo Mango

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skilletlicker

Head Chef
Yesterday's grocery shopping produced two fruits I've never used before.
IMG_20210624_100300848.jpg
top: Pluot. Plum apricot hybrid. Looks like a plum; inside said to resemble apricot.
bottom: Ataulfo Mango (sign) Champagne Mango (label)

Experience, advice, opinions?

We've had the mango. I really don't like mangoes, but Himself does. I get the Altaufo variety for salsa sometimes because that's the one I'll eat since it's mild and not stringy.

Yesterday's grocery shopping produced two fruits I've never used before.
View attachment 47456
top: Pluot. Plum apricot hybrid. Looks like a plum; inside said to resemble apricot.
bottom: Ataulfo Mango (sign) Champagne Mango (label)

Experience, advice, opinions?
I often get Ataulfo mangoes, I love them. Sweet with a bit of tart, and as CG said, not stringy. I've had pluots, but rarely, and as I can't actually remember their flavour profile, I'd say it wasn't a memorable fruit for me.
I love apricots, though, and plums... though that mango variety is lovely.

I never tried the pluot, but I do sometimes buy the ataulfo mango, when it is on sale, and in good condition (sometimes they are all over-ripe). I also like the fact that they are not as fibrous as the regular mangos, and the pits are smaller, as are the fruits. I often use them in chutneys and salsas, that call for the sweet mangos, leaving them with a little tartness, as they ripen.

Let them get really ripe before trying.

Pluot: Wasn't reminded at all of an apricot but might have been the best plum I ever tasted.

Ataulfo Mango: Not as sweet as a really ripe "regular" mango but a pteeler works, the seed is smaller and doesn't grip the flesh as firmly.

I'll buy pluots every week if they're available. I'll try the champagne mango again but not necessarily right away.

Back
Top Bottom