Roux Storage Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I made soup today.
Thickened and flavored it with a roux, but I have a decent amount of extra roux left over ( enough to use on something else).
Can the roux be saved and used at a later date , and maintain its thickening property, or should I just chuck it ?

It lasts just fine in the refrigerator, it gets rock hard and that makes it hard to divide into smaller portions, so chop it up a bit or save it in a thin layer that can be broken apart later.

It lasts just fine in the refrigerator, it gets rock hard and that makes it hard to divide into smaller portions, so chop it up a bit or save it in a thin layer that can be broken apart later.

Yep. it keeps fine, but it will separate and the bottom part will probably turn rock hard. It still works, but you will probably need to warm it to get it back to a smooth consistency.

CD

Question all:
If Larry made his roux with vegetable oil rather than butter,
would it still be rock hard?
Just thinkin' out loud, me, I rarely make a roux so...

It doesn't matter. I make mine with oil, and it does the same thing.

I usually don't make more than I need, but if I am doing a dark roux for a gumbo for family and friends, I sometimes make it in advance, just to take the pressure off of myself of making it on the day of the cook.

It always separates, with the oil going to the top. The rest always turns hard. I keep mine in a glass mason jar, so I can stick the jar in a pot of hot water before I need to use it.

CD

Just averted a potential disaster.
got home from my brothers house, my wife started to clean the kitchen and said " Whats in this pot (the roux) as she went to wash it out.
Got it just in time!!
Read this thread, and now storing it as mentioned above.

Thanks guys and gals!!

I think it was in a Julia Child cookbook that I read that it will keep for a long time in the fridge. I had been freezing it in dollops. Now I just make a bunch and leave it in the fridge. Yeah, I usually have to scrape it with a fork to use it, but it's so handy when you suddenly need more than you have or you are too tired or too rushed to make some NOW.

Just averted a potential disaster.
got home from my brothers house, my wife started to clean the kitchen and said " Whats in this pot (the roux) as she went to wash it out.
Got it just in time!!
Read this thread, and now storing it as mentioned above.

Thanks guys and gals!!

LOL, roux is not the prettiest thing. I can see how your wife might mistaken it for sludge to be washed out. It does actually look like sludge. Oh, but what it adds to a gumbo or other soup or stew is amazing.

CD

LOL, roux is not the prettiest thing. I can see how your wife might mistaken it for sludge to be washed out. It does actually look like sludge. Oh, but what it adds to a gumbo or other soup or stew is amazing.

CD

yeah, definitely looks like a ' mistake' in her eyes. Probably thought I left something on the stove too long.

I usually add it to my mushroom barley soup ( which I did).
I was just cooking for more people than I usually do, so I prepared what I thought I needed, and realized I got a little carried away

Back
Top Bottom