Sarcopenia in the elderly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
@dragnlaw and @taxlady ,
Here you can calculate your nutrients/protein/fats/carbs. Free.

Articles and videos on sarcopenia:

What do we know about nutrition and sarcopenia: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7353446/
Nutrition and Drugs regarding sarcopenia: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10572610/
Treating it with creatine: Quality of creatine and side effects: https://nutritionfacts.org/video/are-there-any-side-effects-to-taking-creatine/
Does increasing protein slow sarcopenia: https://nutritionfacts.org/hnta-vid...ein-intake-slow-age-related-muscle-mass-loss/
Which fruits and vegetables protect muscles : https://nutritionfacts.org/hnta-video/which-fruits-and-vegetables-are-most-muscle-preserving/
If someone tells you it is too hard and you can't, and you believe them, then you can't.
Change can be planned for, scheduled, in increments, to make changes work, if you want them to. Good luck.

bliss Let me know when you arrive and I'll make sure to put fresh coffee on (or tea/tisane if you prefer). I'll also have plenty of paper and a sharp pencil for my lesson. Remember to go easy as I'm a slow learner.
taxy? want to join in? you can whack me on the back of the head when I seem to get a glazed look in my eyes.

yeah, yeah, yeah... I've copied and saved the links... thanks bliss

I gave you sources of information. My favorite are the videos, all of them have the studies listed in a tab below the videos.
I've never had sarcopenia diagnosed, never tried to fix what isn't broken....all I can do is find good information if you have questions.
The one supplement, (creatine) getting a good quality supplement (brand name in the video tested by 3rd party), and exercise appears to be the best idea-from the videos. I think it was 3 grams/day (not that much), and exercise.
There are so many good video's on exercise, look for strength training the arms, chest, working on the core, thighs and calves, cardio, and stretching before and after.
Try these physical therapists for posture, stretching, exercise. https://www.youtube.com/@BobandBrad
I just started doing hip stretching with their video and they are pretty easy to follow.

Honestly, I've never actually been diagnosed with sarcopenia, but the history and symptoms can't be denied.... and I refuse to go to 5 different doctors with referrals and tests by 6 different clinics just to find out my own diagnose was correct.
Not to toot my own horn, but honestly? 2 out of 3 of have been correct by me. I won't ignore doctors - but I will question them.

Whether a person has sarcopenia or not, stretching and exercise, keeping balance and mobility are important all through our years. Avoiding falls is super important.

bliss, living alone for more than 20 years, handling horses, in a 200 yr old house, etc, made one VERY aware of never falling.
This picture was from a Halloween spider but sort of shows the stair case - with no railing on one side. Straight down from 10' ceiling.... (picture taken from thru a door)
1717039801871.jpeg

If I thought my ankles or hips were wonky - go down the stairs backwards. First rule of survival... don't fall, know where your phone is at all times, always leave your phone in the same place, etc, etc... I'm sure many have their own criteria that they follow.

@Sir_Loin_of_Beef it kind of sounds like a type of pasta or sausage....maybe.
@dragnlaw I only have railings on one side of the two stair cases in the house. I often wish we had railings on both sides, especially when I'm carrying up canned food from the basement pantry. It's good you are so nimble and aware!

These two videos are good.
This is about some of the history of recommendations of protein and the downside of too much protein. https://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-great-protein-fiasco/
And this one is about increasing protein after 65.

I spent about a half an hour entering the data by hand for the soup I had for supper tonight. It was extremely annoying. Then, I found out that if I downloaded the app, it would be possible to scan the nutritional label and have it entered that way. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to add it to my food diary in some other quantity than "one serving. For this soup, the can says that one serving is 250 ml or one cup (that's close but not exact). But, I had as much as I wanted and that was the entire 398 ml in the can. I am making the assumption that ml = grams to keep this simple.

Has anyone used the app and knows how to add other amounts to the diary than the one serving listed on the package?

@taxlady I don't use the app, I use the web version. Click on FOOD, type in the word for the food 'apple', click on the amount, enter. (you can change the amount later or delete it from your list)

@taxlady I don't use the app, I use the web version. Click on FOOD, type in the word for the food 'apple', click on the amount, enter. (you can change the amount later or delete it from your list)
I have been foofing around with the app. Scanning the UPC code actually works well. I eventually figured out how to adjust the amount that I add to my food diary. I add the item to the food diary and where it says "1" serving, you tap the "1" and type how many servings you had. E.g., the serving size for the yogourt I had was 125 g. I figure I had about 25 g, so I tapped the one and typed "0.2" and that worked. I was just getting frustrated. I typed in the UPC # for the lentil soup and it didn't find it. But, when I scanned the soup, if found it and entered all the data for me.

Dealing with sarcopenia in my grandparents has been tough. They used to be so active and independent, but as they've aged, they've lost a lot of muscle mass. We've been focusing on incorporating more protein into their diets and encouraging light resistance exercises to help maintain their strength. It's a gradual process, but seeing them regain some mobility and energy has been really rewarding.

I thought I would make an update about using Cronometer. I have been getting used to the software and quite like it. It does take a bit of my time to enter everything, but it works. I now seem to be able to get all the protein that someone my age and weight should be getting. I am also getting all or almost all the calcium I need from food and have been able to cut out the supplements or at least only need to take one out of the three pills the doctor recommended. it does seem to help cut down on the leg cramps at night.

I have also started a walking effort. I have been doing it for just over a week. I increase the amount I walk each day. That has been going well. I walk around the condo association. There is a lot of common space that is beautifully green. Today, I pushed myself, which was stoopid. I got back inside my house and just sat for 20 minutes. Then I had a glass of milk and went back upstairs and sat and was exhausted for another hour and a half. Well, at least now I feel that I could walk to the dépanneur (what we call a convenience store in Québec. Actually, anglophones call it the "dep".).

@taxlady wonderful effort woman! You are really putting in the time and effort and getting it done. It's okay to over do it a little and stretch and use those muscles and gain some stamina. You might feel it a little tomorrow, but stretch out your muscles tonight and tomorrow and see how you are feeling tomorrow. Woo Hoo!

@taxlady wonderful effort woman! You are really putting in the time and effort and getting it done. It's okay to over do it a little and stretch and use those muscles and gain some stamina. You might feel it a little tomorrow, but stretch out your muscles tonight and tomorrow and see how you are feeling tomorrow. Woo Hoo!
When you are just out of shape, it's more okay to push yourself.

When you are a spoony, you are usually just borrowing spoons from the next day. I have done that sort of thing before and I have seen how that goes. But, getting in better shape is worth some effort.

Edit: Wait a minute. No, as we get older, we need to be more cautious of pushing ourselves. My husband just died of pushing himself too hard when he was out of shape.

Last edited:
When you are just out of shape, it's more okay to push yourself.

When you are a spoony, you are usually just borrowing spoons from the next day. I have done that sort of thing before and I have seen how that goes. But, getting in better shape is worth some effort.

Edit: Wait a minute. No, as we get older, we need to be more cautious of pushing ourselves. My husband just died of pushing himself too hard when he was out of shape.
When you feel like it and you want to talk about it, talking about your husband dying would probably be helpful to you. You have my condolences.

Exercising/training is not one way or the opposite way, all or nothing-it's learning to listen to your body and the answer is more nuanced.
Living in fear isn't helpful and may stand in your way.
Muscle is built by training and then rebuilding after exercise. You can be cautious AND push yourself if you feel up to it.

Last edited:
You got it taxy! I've started going to the Y. I had tried to start walking again as that used to be my favourite at the farm (an hour thru the woods on the road). But here, the aftermath the next day for my legs canned that for me.
At the Y, swimming was first but, again, had to stop it as it was not good for the torn rotators. I'll start again and force myself to fewer laps (not that I did that many in the first place LOL)
But the machines are helping with the rest of me. My back, stomach and recumbent bike are working. I've found my measure for each to reach just the right amount of groans. When I stop groaning I can move/increase up. Have gone up almost two notches.

Listen to your body, some days I just don't do the limit (as perhaps I didn't sleep well or whatever). But you will soon be able to tell the difference between lazy and body telling you 'no'.

And Yes! sometimes it takes a bit to recover - that's OK too! Good on yuh, sistah! I'll do an extra 10 on the bike and discuss recipe with you in my mind. LOL

and believe it or not you can walk on rainy days too - not a heavy downpour, of course, but you will actually enjoy it. Wear a hat to keep your eyes from the rain drops and you be surprised how you aren't bothered by the rain!

When you feel like it and you want to talk about it, talking about your husband dying would probably be helpful to you. You have my condolences.

Exercising/training is not one way or the opposite way, all or nothing-it's learning to listen to your body and the answer is more nuanced.
Living in fear isn't helpful and may stand in your way.
Muscle is built by training and then rebuilding after exercise. You can be cautious AND push yourself if you feel up to it.
Listening to my body has been something that I have been doing for decades. It's why I didn't even try to do more exercise today. I should have just headed back home when I got to a certain level of fatigue, instead of letting my ego say "oh, just a little further". You can't just push yourself and get fit in a hurry. Yes, muscle is built by training, but it cannot be done all at once.

I just found this sitting here, waiting for me to click "Post reply". So anything above that says "today" means yesterday, Friday.

Last edited:
You got it taxy! I've started going to the Y. I had tried to start walking again as that used to be my favourite at the farm (an hour thru the woods on the road). But here, the aftermath the next day for my legs canned that for me.
At the Y, swimming was first but, again, had to stop it as it was not good for the torn rotators. I'll start again and force myself to fewer laps (not that I did that many in the first place LOL)
But the machines are helping with the rest of me. My back, stomach and recumbent bike are working. I've found my measure for each to reach just the right amount of groans. When I stop groaning I can move/increase up. Have gone up almost two notches.

Listen to your body, some days I just don't do the limit (as perhaps I didn't sleep well or whatever). But you will soon be able to tell the difference between lazy and body telling you 'no'.

And Yes! sometimes it takes a bit to recover - that's OK too! Good on yuh, sistah! I'll do an extra 10 on the bike and discuss recipe with you in my mind. LOL

and believe it or not you can walk on rainy days too - not a heavy downpour, of course, but you will actually enjoy it. Wear a hat to keep your eyes from the rain drops and you be surprised how you aren't bothered by the rain!
I have already gone for a walk in the rain. I had been looking for my Welly boots when I found an old pair of city cowboy boots that I had completely forgotten about. My one pair of decent, leather, walking shoes have holes in the soles, so no good in the rain. The shoes I have been wearing to go for my walks are canvas, so no good in the rain. I was so pleased to be find that old pair of boots. They worked fine in the rain and I carried an umbrella. Somewhere, I have one of those sou'wester hats, but I can't find it. One of these:

1717860795940.jpeg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom