Saturday dinner, June 8, 2024?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
casey! please edumahcate me!
I've read that the danger zone is between 41 and 135. so you are taking it to the absolute minimum and chancing that it never goes below? What about the time it takes to get there?
I understand that once there - it's fine. But does it really stay there? I mean that is borderline!

The sous vide process uses low cooking temperatures over long time periods. The FDA and USDA both have established safety guidelines for sous vide cooking temperatures between 130-165F.

The recommended minimum time to cook pork at 130F is 120 minutes, or two hours. I cook pork at 135F for at least two hours.

I typically sous vide steaks at 135F for a minimum of 90 minutes/1.5 hours.

It is important to keep your meats in the refrigerator until your water bath is up to that minimum 130F. You want to go straight from the fridge to the fully preheated water bath.

CD

I was asking DL about how she knows when pork is ready in case that knowledge could be transferred to steaks. E.g., if she used the finger poke method, I'm pretty sure that would be the same for both beef and pork.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I always fill the sous vide container with hot tap water, at least partially. I've had to dump water out from time to time and replace with cool tap water as the hot water tap water was too hot.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I always fill the sous vide container with hot tap water, at least partially. I've had to dump water out from time to time and replace with cool tap water as the hot water tap water was too hot.

I start with hot water, too, to save time and energy needed to reach my cooking temperature. My hot tap water doesn't get up to 130F, so never have to add cold water.

CD

Thanks guys, appreciated.
In my own homes I kept the water tanks at a very high heat (made the plumber shudder). Here at my son's I think it's about 120 or so, whatever is the normally recommended.

taxy, I don't finger-poke, as mentioned. Both pork and chicken are fully done.
I love the probe thermometer, since I got it pretty much used for everything. Especially with chicken. any roasts, my breads.

(y)

I love to throw drumsticks or thighs on the grill, just seasoned with k-salt and black pepper. Simple and delicious.

CD
I have got to get a grill this summer. I remember just getting a small one for $20 a bunch of years ago but I almost had a heart attack when I saw what they were going for now - $100 and up.

I have got to get a grill this summer. I remember just getting a small one for $20 a bunch of years ago but I almost had a heart attack when I saw what they were going for now - $100 and up.

If you want something small, try this one. It works great, and it will last you 20-years.

If you want something a bit bigger, there is this one...

Both are under 100 bucks.

CD

on today's scale $45.00 usd = $68.00 cd. All the stores here are listing them for $72.00.
I'd like one but think I'd get a propane one first. My cooking is always last minute.

If you want something small, try this one. It works great, and it will last you 20-years.

If you want something a bit bigger, there is this one...

Both are under 100 bucks.

CD
These are absolutely the best little grills.

on today's scale $45.00 usd = $68.00 cd. All the stores here are listing them for $72.00.
I'd like one but think I'd get a propane one first. My cooking is always last minute.

I have both charcoal and propane grills... all of them Webers. The propane grill is good when I want to toss some burgers or chicken on the grill without much effort. If I want to grill a prime steak, it is going over charcoal, period.

I have an 18-inch Smokey Joe (AKA: Jumbo Joe) that I used for camping for many years. I love it. I bought it used, but the date code indicates it was made in the 1990s.

CD

Back
Top Bottom