Shiny glaze

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

millicent

Assistant Cook
Hi, im trying to cinnamon glaze some peanuts. Ive used different kinds of sugar and different cooking times but i cant stop the glaze crystallizing. I tried not stirring and ended up with a rock solid lump. Admittedly im not weighing anything.
Could somebody tell me what im doing wrong please, how do i get the glaze shiny?:( Am i using the wrong ingredients?

I made some cinnamon glazed almonds once. I didn't use a recipe, just put the almonds in a cast iron pan, sprinkled with a good amount of sugar and cinnamon, and stirred them over medium heat until the sugar melted onto the almonds.

I then turned them out onto foil and spread them out.

I haven't made them again--too good.

Hi, well i used a cup of water, a knob of butter and about 2cups of demerara sugar. I heated them until the mixture was bubbling and then i added the nuts. I kept stirring till the liquid was gone (by then they had crystallized) ,and then i turned them out into a metal tray to cool.

Hmm maybe i should use water at all? wrong type of sugar?

Now there's the answer! You used too much sugar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi millicent. I have enjoyed eating candy coated peanuts but I never thought about making them. Can you use dry roasted nuts? I guess to get a whole peanut, you might have to shell them.

I might try it like sparrowgrass just using sugar and cinnamon. Otherwise, I'm afraid that I might end up with a puddle of peanut brittle. :-p

Back
Top Bottom