Splish splash, I was taking a bath - Sat 5th Aug.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
Kathleen mentioned a burger for supper Friday. Well, I had one for Saturday. Frozen, usually darn good, maybe I bought a different kind? Maybe I cooked it too long on the griddler? Whatever - tough little sucker for Angus beef. All told it was OK but chewy and a bit on the dry side, so think it was my fault.

I like my burgers dripping juicy fat to burn my chin! :ROFLMAO:
The bun was a brioche hamburger bun - positively delish!

I cleaned an organized the garage freezer. Found a few things! Decided to go with one of the packages of my homemade shredded beef for tacos. Chopped up some lettuce, grated some cheddar, grabbed a couple of the bottled salsas...then fried up some corn tortillas, presto, tacos! Actually I think it was easier to make them than to write about it! :cool:

Katsu 🫠

IMG_0245.jpeg

My Saturday creation was a bit disappointing. I made a sausage gravy (basically a béchamel sauce with sage pork sausage) mixed with egg noodles. It was okay, just kind of... boring.
It would be interesting to know what flavour profile you were aiming for?
Being a noodle dish might suggest an Asian slant, but the fennel feels more Mediterranean.
I would probably look at which way you were going and add some complimentary ingredients-herbs, spices and vegetables that enhance your flavours.
But I have no doubt that you know what you are doing, so I wouldn’t presume to advise further. I hope you nourished yourself either way! 🫠

Ha, well there you go - learn something new every day.
In Australia, we don’t have steak with gravy at breakfast time, but then again, we have Vegemite (yum!), so there’s that…😁

Ha, well there you go - learn something new every day.
In Australia, we don’t have steak with gravy at breakfast time, but then again, we have Vegemite (yum!), so there’s that…😁
If originated with German settlers in Texas, adapted from wiener schnitzel. I'm not sure why it became a breakfast staple. Maybe because farmers needed a hearty breakfast to start the day.

Last edited:
Sure! I found the recipe here. However, I mixed all ingredients together rather than dipping and dredging in flour. I used a cast iron skillet with about an inch of oil preheated to approximately 325 Fahrenheit prior to dropping in the rings flipping once when one side was brown. I drained them on a rack rather than a towel.

I might try it as written next time so I can add a bit of bread crumbs to the flour. Just to compare.

Thank you, @Kathleen! For the link and the input too! Totally agree with the rack!
What Ginny wrote. Thanks.

Yup, use a rack. I think I learned that from a Kenji Lopez-Alt video. I think he said that he lerned it from some Korean chefs making the crispiest chicken. Maybe @Kathleen sure makes it look like it works. :yum: I have saved the recipe to CMT.

What Ginny wrote. Thanks.

Yup, use a rack. I think I learned that from a Kenji Lopez-Alt video. I think he said that he lerned it from some Korean chefs making the crispiest chicken. Maybe @Kathleen sure makes it look like it works. :yum: I have saved the recipe to CMT.
I meant to write, "Maybe I'll try that shortcut of mixing everything together and skipping the dipping and dredging part. @Kathleen sure ..."

I meant to write, "Maybe I'll try that shortcut of mixing everything together and skipping the dipping and dredging part. @Kathleen sure ..."
Actually taxy - :LOL: it was quite understandable! Didn't even realize it was missing. Like one of the visual tests that you read and can understand even that have no vowels, or something to that effect.

Speaking of onion rings, I do little to no deep frying. But one time I made onion rings using shallots, little thin ones, and they were good.. So if you're someone who doesn't like a strong onion ring, you might like those or leeks, or Vidalia.

Back
Top Bottom