technical question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The first thing Google came up with:

To Stone Raisins.
Pour boiling water over them, a few at a time. When cool enough to handle, drain and rub each raisin between the thumb and finger till the seeds come out clean, then cut or tear apart, or chop if wanted very fine.

technical answer

I had to look this up. I had not heard the term before.

To Stone Raisins.
Pour boiling water over them, a few at a time. When cool enough to handle, drain and rub each raisin between the thumb and finger till the seeds come out clean, then cut or tear apart, or chop if wanted very fine.

Andy, they must be using "stone" as in to seed, or pit. I know some fruit's pits are known as stones. Cherries maybe?

Andy, they must be using "stone" as in to seed, or pit. I know some fruit's pits are known as stones. Cherries maybe?

I agree. What if you have raisins made from seedless grapes? Then you end up with empty raisin skins.

lol, good point. You wouldn't want to waste your time stoning something that didn't have any stones to begin with.

When we were kids my city grandmother used to buy bunches of raisins on the stem at Thanksgiving and Christmas. They used to have seeds in them. I have not seen them in about forty years.

The nuts in the shell, the dried figs on a rope the whole dates with pits along with a big bowl of fresh fruit on Thanksgiving and Christmas has given way to a bag of Doritos.

No wonder the raisins get stoned!

Last edited:
When we were kids my city grandmother used to buy bunches of raisins on the stem at Thanksgiving and Christmas. They used to have seeds in them. I have not seen them in about forty years...

There are a couple bunches of Concord grapes by my mailbox that the grape picker missed. Do you want me to send them to you after thay have dried and shriveled?

:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom