The Coffee Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is also a green bean supplier in Toronto, that will ship everywhere:
The Merchants of Green Coffee (I'm new member so I can't post the link).
We are shooting segments with them right now on beans, roasting and brewing. These should be up by mid-December... lots of info, about a little bean.

G.

Has anyone tried Barrington Coffee Roasting Company coffee?

Every morning I take my coffee black with a small drop of skim milk

Forgive me if I posted this previously but I'm hooked on Starbuck's Costa Rica Tarrazu coffee with a splash of vanilla syrup, frothed milk and whipping cream. It's a medium roast coffee; not too strong and has a wonderful flavor. I crave it too often that now I'm drinking up to 3 cups a day. Oops.

I finally gave up sugar in my coffee about a month ago! I now put just a tiny pinch of Stevia in it and I'm totally happy! I also found that without all that sugar I can actually taste the flavor of my wonderful Peet's Major Dickason!

Giggling a bit here. Dina, I'm hooked on Costa Rican coffee too! Why am I not surprised that you are? My current fave is 1820's brand. Oh my goodness its so tasty. I have some Sunburst too, but I prefer the 1820's one.

Oh, and I'm black coffee in the morning and if I have it in the afternoon, but I like a shot of cream and sugar for after dinner coffee.

Giggling a bit here. Dina, I'm hooked on Costa Rican coffee too! Why am I not surprised that you are? My current fave is 1820's brand. Oh my goodness its so tasty. I have some Sunburst too, but I prefer the 1820's one.

Oh, and I'm black coffee in the morning and if I have it in the afternoon, but I like a shot of cream and sugar for after dinner coffee.
I hear ya Alix. It's that good I could drink it without the cream and sugar myself.

Hello fellow coffee connoisseurs! :w00t2:

How do you take your coffee??? Black? Cream? Sugar?

I'm living in a country full of tea and instant coffee! Instant coffee!! Blah! Yes we have loads of Starbucks, but I make my own coffee, grinding fresh beans and using a drip coffee maker. My lovely parents ship me care packages full of Extra Dark French Roast beans from Trader Joes. YUM. I also love other varieties, but I dont wanna ask for other blends! (I miss Peets...mmmm)

Recently I starting using a Boudin French Press and I cant decided if I like it better than the drip. Thoughts? :D
We have a French Press, better tasting coffee than a drip but general uses more beans for the same amount of coffee so we mostly use the drip. Lots of beans, ground into dust so it is nice and dark. DW takes cream and sugar, I take just sugar.
In the summer we get our coffee from the farmers market, in winter from Gevalia. Always the darkest roasts, always whole bean. The guy at the farmers market is trying to roast more this year, if he does that just means less Gevalia ordered.

And I know what you mean about the instant coffee, DW's mom only drinks instant coffee despite the fact that she always told us how much better tasting ours was. I think it was a convenience thing mostly. All I know is I would always get my coffee before going to her house!

Are you an American or Brit?

My mother was British - and oddly enough - I never once saw her drink a cup of tea. Our house, growing up, the adults each had their own respective caffeine addiction - coffee for the gasp, British mother and black tea (with a little fresh mint) predictaby for my Middle Eastern stepfather. I think my mother mentioned, they forced everyone in boarding school take tea every day and that's why she disliked it so and never touched it again after graduating.

I love coffee, although I never drank any until I was 32. I blame the secretary next to me that talked the office manager into ordering starbucks for the office coffee station - one cup of that stuff and I was hooked.

I prefer (in fact it's about the only way I take it) to buy my beans wholeand grind them myself. I'm not too picky about the brand (store brands are fine) - it just has be whole beans. I do prefer darker & French roasts. The breakfast blends, although good, are a bit too light for me.

In regards to instant, I would rather forgo coffee forever, then drink instant - it's just terrible and not worth the calories.

Not being picky about the brand of coffee is in effect only when she is doing the shopping and I am not there.... I make sure that doesn't happen often!

I want my coffee made with freshly ground Aribica beans. This month it's a Hawaiian blend of Kona, Kuai, and Molikai grown coffees. Last month it was Jamaican Blue Mountain. I drink it from an 11 ounce cup, to which I add one teaspoon of Demerara sugar and 9ml of half & half.

How's Starbuck's Seatle's Pike Place coffee compared to Starbuck's Costa Rica Tarrazu? I am not happy with the new coffee my DH got (the Pike Place) as I got used to the medium roast flavor of Tarrazu. Argh!

I prefer (in fact it's about the only way I take it) to buy my beans wholeand grind them myself. I'm not too picky about the brand (store brands are fine) - it just has be whole beans. I do prefer darker & French roasts. The breakfast blends, although good, are a bit too light for me.

In regards to instant, I would rather forgo coffee forever, then drink instant - it's just terrible and not worth the calories.
I'm with you about the grind it yourself and instant coffee. I like the dark roasts too. Hubby and I each have our own coffee maker because we don't share the same taste in coffee. He likes the Chock full o nuts :ermm:. I prefer Gevalia , and it is expensive but it is worth it to me.

Glad to see Cafe Britt and Cost Rican Tarrazu have received honorable mention in this thread. To get my coffee at a 'reasonable' price, I have to order it in rather large quantities. After a fair amount of trial and error I've been able to roast green beans to my satisfaction in a frying pan. Sweet Maria's instructions were quite helpfull. Other than being able to roast to suite one's taste, green beans have the advantage of keeping better than roasted ones. I like my brew with a splash of half and half or 10% butterfat evaporated milk. We have both a newer steel burr hand grinder and a 70-some year old combination steel burr and stone hand grinder. The older one is far superior.

I have bought Starbucks whole bean coffee in the store before, but not often only when it is on sale. One time the French Roast we bought was burned pretty badly, but the others were pretty good. We tried a 'Serena's Organic Blend' just because it shared it's name with DW, it was actually real good.
I don't buy from the Starbucks storefronts though, every time I do I seem to get old burned coffee that has been on the burner all day and is terrible!

Our McDonalds only serves hot brown water.... and I don't know who this 'Joe' guy is that Burger King put in their coffee cups, but he is pretty bland as well...

Caribuo Coffee is one I like, along with the Seatle's Best they offer at the book store, and Einstein Coffee is pretty good. I just find in general the smaller places have the better coffee than the bigger chains.
Don't care much for Dunkin Donuts coffee either....

Back
Top Bottom