Under-sized Restaurant Portions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
The thread about American over-sized portions got me thinking about these two restaurants that always bug me about UNDER-sized portions. Obviously, it doesn't bug me enough to stop eating there.

One is a rib place. This is actually Logan's Roadhouse, a chain, that my dd likes (for the peanut shells on the floor) and we indulge her with occasionally. They put "Half-rack of Baby-back Ribs" on their menu, then when served, it's always either 3 or 4 bones. For a full rack, it's always 7 bones. We get a pig slaughtered every other year and a full rack of ribs is actually 13 or 14 ribs. How can they put that in their menu and then not serve an actual portion? Isn't that illegal?

The other is a local steakhouse. We like their food, in general. However, if you want to substitute their mixed veg medley with asparagus, they will give you 3 large and WOODY spears, then up-charge $2.99 for the asparagus. You can maybe eat the tips and that's about it. Tiny portion, mostly inedible, charged an extra $3. :rolleyes:

Anybody else find such things where you eat?

There is one place by my office that I used to go to every once in a while, but stopped for this very reason. It is a little brick oven pizza place that does sandwiches and calzones and pasta dishes. The food is very tasty, but for the sandwiches at least they are not the size they should be. If you order a sandwich you actually get a half sandwich and the rest of the plate is filled with pasta salad. Now I would be fine with that if it was advertised that way, but it is not. I do not generally eat pasta salad (I do not eat mayo), so I pay full price and get to eat only a half sandwich.

As to your question about it being illegal about the ribs, unfortunately it is not. I took a cooking course from a local rib restaurant owner and he made a point of telling us that rib places can decide for themselves what a half rack or full rack mean, even though as you know a full rack is usually 13 or 14 so a half would be 6 or 7. It is one of those things that is not regulated and they can basically say anything they want.

We ate some Taco Bell tacos recently that were quite skimpy on the fillings....

As for Logan's I have always found their steaks to be excellent, and salads too. But I
have never gotten their ribs, so can't say if they short rib or not....

Back
Top Bottom