What does seltzer water do to a recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sorry if this is off topic, I had no other idea where to place it.

If I use Seltzer water (carbonated) in place of water, does it make a difference, like in pancakes or cakes, or cookies? Or even pasta cooking?

what is the science behind it, or HOW does it make a difference, or what differences does it make? For example if I use it in pancake mix what will be the difference between regular water and seltzer water?

Now part 2:

How do i avoid over mixing that would flatten the seltzer water? I've done mixed sprite in with pancake mix, and noticed a small difference, plus it gave it a sweeter flavor

I have made cupcakes with coca cola... they seem to be lighter yet dense at the same time! The sugar and fizz react with the baking powders to give a more instant rise.

Never tired fizzy drink/water in anything else... but I know you can make batter with soda water and the result is a very light crisp coating.

I have made waffles with soda water and tempura batter. I drink gallons of seltzer (so much so that I finally broke down and bought a Sodastream, not so I could make soda drinks but so I could make seltzer). So far, I love the Sodastream.

When our kids (now 32) were in kindergarten our son's class did a Wonderful Waffle day, using club soda in the recipe as the liquid. They WERE wonderful, much lighter than waffles made with milk or a clear liquid. Now I'll have to hunt that recipe down so I can make it and share it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom