What's In Your JUNK Drawer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I'd bet most of us have a junk drawer in the kitchen where we keep all the odds and ends of "stuff" that we need from time to time that are not specifically food/cooking related.

In my junk drawer, I have:

pens and pads of paper
pencils and a sharpener
Sharpies
white board marker
twist ties
band-aids
finger cots
calculator
take-out menus
masking and scotch tapes
combination screwdriver
pliers
utility knife
very small flashlight
post-its
oven and tracklight bulbs
Tums
eyeglass repair kit
allen wrench
faucet wrench
bag clips
push pins

and probably a few more things but I don't feel like getting up and walking around the counter to look.

What's In Your Wallet? . . . I mean junk drawer

I think you and I have the same junk drawer Andy. That's pretty much what's in mine. In addition to the more common items, I also seem to have many expired coupons that I probably never had any intention of using to begin with, but just stuck in the drawer rather than throwing them out (like I should have) because.... well, I was always taught that coupons are kind of like money.

Funny...that looks like my junk drawer. Add in:

Catnip
Command Hooks
Sink Clips
Bungee Cords
Hammers

Oh man do I need to clean out these drawers, yes multiple junk drawers.

I have at least 3. One is my tape drawer:masking, duct, packing, scotch, along with various plumbing and electrical odds and ends. Another is my battery drawer: batteries, chargers, various screws and nails, and different kinds of wires. The third is business: staples, staplers, crayons, paper clips, and other junk.

I have at least 3. One is my tape drawer:masking, duct, packing, scotch, along with various plumbing and electrical odds and ends. Another is my battery drawer: batteries, chargers, various screws and nails, and different kinds of wires. The third is business: staples, staplers, crayons, paper clips, and other junk.

That sounds like the Junk Bookcase next to my desk.:rolleyes:

Oh yeah Dawg..I was just going to add rubber bands to the list especially the nice wide ones that come with asparagus. Mine also has various keys that unlock who knows what.

...Mine also has various keys that unlock who knows what.

Ah yes... the mystery keys. I have plenty of those, too. I've even taken some with me when I've moved from one home to another. You know, just in case.

Sadly, I have yet to run across a buried pirate chest that any of those keys will open. :rolleyes:

My mystery keys hang on a decorative key rack, along with the spare car and pool keys. Along with spare keys from every other car we've had, along with Mom's spare house keys, along with Dad's old business keys, and various and sundry other keys that open who knows what.

The most useless drawer in the kitchen has been designated the "junk" drawer and because of it's limited size, not much junk.

Just a few pencils/pens/markers, assorted rubber bands, our little battery tester, a pair of scissors, a roll of Scotch tape, a pill bottle with some paper clips, another pill bottle with some spare stables, a small bottle of super glue, and a block eraser.

It's such a small drawer and forces us to be minimalist when it comes to junk.

As for the rubber bands, the different sizes are corralled together, by size, using those little plastic squares that are used to close bread bags.

We have another, larger, drawer in the utility room adjacent to the kitchen that has such things as miscellaneous screwdrivers, pliers, a side cutter, a hammer, some Command hooks, a carpenter's measure, a level, a variety of screws and nails, and a few types of tape such as electrical, plumbing and the like.

A lot of what's on Andy's list is in my junk drawer.

There's also scissors (surprised no one mentioned those - oops, Katie just did!) batteries, a ball of twine, a Stanley tape measurer, cloth elastic hair ties, usually a few loser lottery tickets to re-play on 'second chance', and a bit of cash.

I finally went through it last year and threw away my keys to nothing. :)

Kay, I save those thick blue rubber bands from asparagus, too! :LOL:

Last time I was at IKEA, I picked up the greatest drawer organizer I've ever had. It has about 16 little compartment thingies, ranging from little to pencil size. I love it, but stuff still gets thrown in there. Ha.

Last edited:
A lot of what's on Andy's list is in my junk drawer.

There's also scissors (surprised no one mentioned those - oops, Katie just did!) batteries, a ball of twine, a Stanley tape measurer, cloth elastic hair ties, usually a few loser lottery tickets to re-play on 'second chance', and a bit of cash. ...

Yeah, I forgot scissors and a tape measure too.

It seems that, though we are all quite different form one another, our junk is fairly common.

I dont have junk draw... I have junk desk, once a week I clean it and remove old socks, half eaten sandwiches, beads, scissors and other weird things that ends up there.

I thought you were going to say you had a least 3 1939 Studebaker grilles!

Last edited:
I am a bit of a minimalist and Jeannie likes to hold onto to things...like forever...
My junk drawer is, actually kinda neat...
Jeannie has....um...stuff... some of it unrecognizable... :LOL:

Ross

We have 2 junk drawers in the kitchen. I don't know what half of the stuff is in them. Every once in a while, DH will take all the junk out, put it all in a bag, and put it up in the attic. Then we start over. When we pass on to our final resting place, our kids will inherit an attic full of bags of junk. Our attic is our version of the show "Hoarders."

Back
Top Bottom