What's the best smoke?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lindatooo

Head Chef
DH just got a new smoker - a Bradley and, quite frankly, if I were given to jealousy.....

Anyway it has this wonderful automatic feed feature so you can leave it on it's own for 8 hours.

It uses what they call "bisquetts" to make the smoke and they come in more different wood flavors than I can count. In addition to the common mesquite and alder they have cherry, oak, pecan, black walnut, hickory, and apple.

Can you great chefs out there please tell me which is good for what? We used alder for salmon (start drooling now - it is wonderful!). What would be best for pork or beef or poultry?:ermm:

Thanks!

For pork, apple is great - subtle and sweet. Try pork ribs with apple smoke m- they will be amazing! Hickory is also good with pork, although with a more forward flavor.

Pecan, cherry and oak work well with chicken, turkey, etc. Oak with a strong rosemary rub will make you want to lick the smoker after you finish the chicken.

I dont know if I've ever had something that was smoked with mesquite but I have had beef grilled on mesquite and that was enough to transfer a really nice flavor. Smoking with it must be really nice.

Pecan goes well with beef steak. I find hickory to be the most versatile.

Since chicken cooks so fast, I prefer to use rosemary & thyme clippings from my herb bed for smoke flavor since they produce a lot of smoke quick.

Tom

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom