Would you buy soda in a paper container??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Would you buy soda in a paper container??

• yes

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • no

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
If it works well and doesn't leave a funny taste, then it's an interesting alternative to plastic. Plastic is very important in some applications, but we use far too much of it in applications where plastic isn't the best solution. So, now we have plastic waste everywhere on the planet. There pieces of microplastic in all the glaciers around Mount Everest. There's plastic waste all over isolated beaches in the Arctic and so many other places. I think most of us know it's a serious problem.

In the late 70's early 80's they had cardboard milk jug type soda containers for fountain drinks. It worked well. I would buy them. I hate having a utility room full of soda bottle that I can't get rid of right now.

In the late 70's early 80's they had cardboard milk jug type soda containers for fountain drinks. It worked well. I would buy them. I hate having a utility room full of soda bottle that I can't get rid of right now.

Weren't those coated in wax? When I was growing up, the milk cartons were cardboard covered in wax. That worked fine. The empties were great for starting a campfire. These people wanted their bottles to be pure paper, for some reason. I wonder if there is some problem with wax that I haven't thought of.

Maybe they are just too young to have heard of the wax coating.

I still get waxed containers for small milks, cream, and I see a lot of non-dairy milks and the like in waxed containers, but I don't see any half gallons of milk any longer. Obviously, those soda containers have to be much firmer, to hold the pressure. I never buy soda (except on the road), but I'd be willing to buy it packed in paper containers.

Paper milk cartons haven't been wax coated in a very long time, like over 50 years. They have a plastic coating.

While I agree that the wax coatings haven't been in common usage for a long time, that article says that wax hasn't been used for milk cartons since the 1940s. I remember waxed milk cartons in the 1960s. You could scrape the wax off with a fingernail or a spoon or knife. When you used them to start a camp fire, you could see the wax dripping off and it smelled like wax. So, I gave up on the rest of the article.

If it works well and doesn't leave a funny taste, then it's an interesting alternative to plastic. Plastic is very important in some applications, but we use far too much of it in applications where plastic isn't the best solution. So, now we have plastic waste everywhere on the planet. There pieces of microplastic in all the glaciers around Mount Everest. There's plastic waste all over isolated beaches in the Arctic and so many other places. I think most of us know it's a serious problem.
I agree. On a related note, I received a, package that had what I thought were plastics "peanuts" to cushion the content. DH told me they were made of corn! You just wash them down the drain and they immediately dissolve into a liquid that safely washes away. I had no idea there was such a thing.

I agree. On a related note, I received a, package that had what I thought were plastics "peanuts" to cushion the content. DH told me they were made of corn! You just wash them down the drain and they immediately dissolve into a liquid that safely washes away. I had no idea there was such a thing.

You're right. They're made of cornstarch and I have a great time showing my grandchildren that they "melt."

As for soda/pop in whatever container, I've ben a loyal user of a device called SodaStream. It's a machine that uses their own plastic (reusable) bottles to make my own carbonated beverages.

I haven't bought any canned or bottled carbonated drinks in over 2 years and I love it.

Back
Top Bottom