Your oldest piece of equipment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I read about the egg shells, I remembered my grandmother used to keep a gallon jar of eggshells in water to put on her African violets - least I think that's what she did with it. What is in eggshells that seems to work for everything? :)

Oldest piece of equipment

You better believe I love that big cheesy grin...somehow it reminds me of myself (LOL). What great ideas I've gotten off this Forum. :D :D :D

Probably my oldest kitchen tools are my 19th century cookie cutters, short bread and gingebread molds, followed closley by my butter churn, which I use.

Then would be some of my cast iron and my potato ricer and my wavey (not serrarited) edged bread knife, a valuable tool and a treasured posession.

Also a a deep, oblong covered pan with an insurt that I use for cooking asparagus and poaching fish. It's from the 30's

That glass coffeemaker outdid my drip coffeemaker

any old time, but this brand new Gevalia is a dandy too...LOL! I guess I want to keep the glass one just for 'memories' sake...lots of them with it with my mom gone and all and my kids were little then. Oh the memories.. :)

oldest piece of equipment

I wish I could say I had the same coffee pot but mine keep breaking like crazy. I used to love the old percolator type on the stove...coffee tasted better. Now I'm on about my eighth coffee maker and it just doesn't cut it.

back to the egg shells

I'm not sure what exactly they do to help the plants but I used to have a neighbor that would put the shells in her orchid pots too. My mother used to throw crushed egg shells into the flower garden and coffee grounds.:confused:

After much deliberation, I've come to the conclusion that "I" am the oldest piece of equipment in my kitchen. I still work well, haven't rusted noticably, and if you soak me well, I clean up pretty nice! :rolleyes:

Not without pinning my arm behind my back!! I am kinda "brassy" on occasion, though:p

My oldest piece of kitchen equipment is no longer used as it is a chopping block my great great grandfather brought back from an african safari in the 1880's. He bought it used in the butcher's market in Timbuktu, recently I have found that the same market not only butchered animals but people (i.e. prisoners sold piecemeal on the streets) as well until the 1930's.

WOW, how interesting - We moved around so much and I don't have anything like that that was handed down. That's why I live in an old house - I just want to feel some sort of history around me.

I reeally wish I still had a table my parents had when

I was growing up in their kitchen. It was very heavy wood..had the old ivory roller small caster wheels on the legs..even had a iron burn on it from sometime over the years, so it was always covered with a tablecloth. My mom had told me yrs ago my grandfather had gotten it from a old slave gentleman somewhere back in time and had kept it. But thanks to my now 'ex' I don't have it anymore..we were moving and he refused to pack it up and take it with. One of the reasons why he IS my 'ex' now..LOL!!

That sounds like a great table Rudy. I love the history of all the nicks, scratches, and burns in your case, of furniture. I would be one of those people who would proudly display the burn. Sounds like a great table. I think I've asked you this before - were we married to the same person?????

My oldest piece of electric equipment is my 1950's era Hobart N-50 mixer, and it is still purring along like brand new.

The oldest other pieces in my Kitchen are my collection of vintage aqua canning jars and bottles that I use for canisters, oils, spices, etc.

Don't know if you consider it "equipment" but the oldest thing I have in my kitchen is a Griswold frying pan that my mother got from her mother who got it from her mother. I don't know how old it is.

If we're talking about appliances, I guess I'd have to go with my popcorn popper. My family has had it for as long as I can remember. It has the exposed nichrome wires in the bottom and the cloth covered wire with the big bakelite socket with the switch. It still works.

I guess it would have to be my rolling pin. My Great Grandpa made it for my Great Grandma when they got married. It was given to me by my Grandma who said that I was the only person in the family that she thought would use it. It works great when hubby gets out of line!(LOL)
As far as the oldest appilance, I have a GE Delux Slicing Knife(electric knife) that was my husbands grandmother's. It still kinda works, the motor just gets hot & it shuts off. There isn't a date on the box or anything, but it is that old wood grain finish fron the 70's or 80's.

I got my Mother's Hamilton-Beach chrome mixer. As kids making Dad's chocolate chip cookies, we used to get the spoon stuck in the beaters. Dad would replace them in triplicate after the first few times because with 4 of us at the helm it happened a lot! LOL I haven't had to replace though.

I also have Gramma's 18 x 24 cutting board! Its my favorite piece and it sits on the counter at all times...not far from the BigKnife, either.

The board has separated at the 2 main seams as well as the side seams. It looks like there has been some wood shrinkage too. I'd get it fixed, but fear someone might mess it up - for now I bang it with a rubber mallot to align it for use.

I have my grandmother's hammered dutch oven for braised dishes. I have her old crock that I use only for the best occasions :).

I have a couple of old Dionne Lucas knives that are my "portable" knives. I keep them rolled up with in a towel in the trunk of my car. How old are they? Dionne Lucas was the first woman to have a TV cooking show during the 40's.

I have several things that are not used but displayed. A cutting board through which my mother actually bore a hole and a pot that my grandmother "fixed" by banging it out the window in an attempt to straighten out the bottom. :roll: These are hung up to be viewed and memorialized, but not actually used.

I, too, have moved way too often to be a packrat. My entire kitchen, though, is over 100 years old (the house is 150; whe had a birthday party for it this summer, but the kitchen is a more "recent" addition). I was told the cabinets were put in in the 60s (that is, 1960s), but the man who came to retrofit them (that was a real problem; everyone we called in wanted to replace them. NO!!!!! We wanted the drawers to open and close, but wanted to keep the original cabinetry) told us that they are older than that; whoever put them in in the 60s probably bought them from another old house because they date to the 40s. SO .... I guess it is my entire kitchen, well over 100 years old.

my oldest gadget

I don't know what it's called, but I have a manual sandwich toaster that my mother had when I was born nearly 60 years ago. It has 2 handles, is hinged on the sides of the 2 rounds on the ends of those handles. You open it, put in your buttered bread (buttered side out) fill with cheese, cooked egg, lunchen meat, etc., and close it. The 2 handles are now together. Put it on the stove burner and get 1 side brown, then flip to brown the other side. It's sort of like those new pancake maker things. It's great and the grandkids love the round toasted cheese sandwiches.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom