2017 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm baking 12 Swedish chocolate cake, kladdkaka to be exact... Oh and guess what I am doing in 8 days time? Baking another 12 chocolate cakes and sponge cake.

With the the temps In the mid-80s and no central AC, no way the oven is being turned on. Everything is either eaten raw or cooked outside.

I got a King Arthur Flour Catalog a few weeks back, and on the cover was this LUSCIOUS looking loaf of bread, they called it a "tear & share".
For the first time in our entire marriage, my husband actually read this food magazine (I get several) and brought it over to me.

DH: Look at this! Can you make this for us? This looks really good, I love homemade bread!
Me: Sure! It does look good, doesn't it

Herb and Garlic Bubble Loaf Recipe | King Arthur Flour

I gathered all of the ingredients, re-read the recipe; I even did TWO "live chats" with KAF's Baker's Hotline with a few follow questions that weren't clear to me.
I followed the recipe as well as the helpful information that I received from Barbara on the chat line... 5 hours later (I took my time and didn't rush the process) we sat down a dinner to what looked and smelled heavenly!

010.JPG
The Bubble Loaf was cracker-like on one side and the inside was very doughy and unappealing.

011.JPG
That goodness the Chicken Cacciatore over Rigatoni was outstanding.

After everything was cleaned up for the evening, my husband gives me a big hug and says, "Well, ok that was a no-go, what are we going to try next?"
AWW! He's such a love

I got a King Arthur Flour Catalog a few weeks back, and on the cover was this LUSCIOUS looking loaf of bread, they called it a "tear & share".
For the first time in our entire marriage, my husband actually read this food magazine (I get several) and brought it over to me.

DH: Look at this! Can you make this for us? This looks really good, I love homemade bread!
Me: Sure! It does look good, doesn't it

Herb and Garlic Bubble Loaf Recipe | King Arthur Flour

I gathered all of the ingredients, re-read the recipe; I even did TWO "live chats" with KAF's Baker's Hotline with a few follow questions that weren't clear to me.
I followed the recipe as well as the helpful information that I received from Barbara on the chat line... 5 hours later (I took my time and didn't rush the process) we sat down a dinner to what looked and smelled heavenly!

View attachment 27420
The Bubble Loaf was cracker-like on one side and the inside was very doughy and unappealing.

View attachment 27421
That goodness the Chicken Cacciatore over Rigatoni was outstanding.

After everything was cleaned up for the evening, my husband gives me a big hug and says, "Well, ok that was a no-go, what are we going to try next?"
AWW! He's such a love

:LOL: Is he going to do the clean up the next time?

Two more cakes with my bundt pan obsession this year. A light as air lemon cake and a cinnamon nut swirl cake that seems to be everyone's favorite.

Attachments

• 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 082.jpg
    082.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 93
Two more cakes with my bundt pan obsession this year. A light as air lemon cake and a cinnamon nut swirl cake that seems to be everyone's favorite.

Can you please post the recipes. TIA

Can you please post the recipes. TIA

Sry, both came from "Kiss my Bundt" through a free loan on the Amazon library and I no longer have access to it...gonna have to buy the book version though cause I loved it. She makes a chocolate bundt with nothing on it but powdered sugar and everyone went nuts over it. Not too many chocolate cakes can claim that fame.

I've had the dry fixin's for two batches of scones sitting on my little kitchen work table for a couple of weeks now. I couldn't find a day when I had cool weather, a big enough time slot for me to do my slow work, and enough interest to bother. I saw the weather report for this week...and got motivated! The batch on the left are basic cream scones with the addition of mini chocolate chips and dried cherries pieces. The ones on the right are our favorite orange scones with mini chocolate chips. :yum: We each had one tonight, I set two more of each aside for us this week (they'll be gone by Tuesday), set two of each aside as payback for the stuffed cabbage my SIL brought us, and froze three of each for when we leave for Eclipse viewing and visiting the kids. I hope those six scones are safe in the freezer...

Attachments

• 20170730_214509.jpg
    20170730_214509.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 133
I've had the dry fixin's for two batches of scones sitting on my little kitchen work table for a couple of weeks now. I couldn't find a day when I had cool weather, a big enough time slot for me to do my slow work, and enough interest to bother. I saw the weather report for this week...and got motivated! The batch on the left are basic cream scones with the addition of mini chocolate chips and dried cherries pieces. The ones on the right are our favorite orange scones with mini chocolate chips. :yum: We each had one tonight, I set two more of each aside for us this week (they'll be gone by Tuesday), set two of each aside as payback for the stuffed cabbage my SIL brought us, and froze three of each for when we leave for Eclipse viewing and visiting the kids. I hope those six scones are safe in the freezer...
beautiful!

I just finished a menu of Sous Vide salmon, cooked to perfection than ice shocked, than broiled with homemade teriyaki sauce, very quickly. Accompanied with steamed broccoli. This afternoon, I'll be trying out homemade goat cheese (also sous vide last night, quick and easy) stuffed mini-peppers.

I really need to remember to keep a camera on hand.

Jeannie picked up mini bundt and mini heart cake pans... I baked strawberry cakes this morning...

Ross

Ross, those cakes look good enough to eat, like right through my computer screen! :LOL: but no they do look super!

I just finished a menu of Sous Vide salmon, cooked to perfection than ice shocked, than broiled with homemade teriyaki sauce, very quickly. Accompanied with steamed broccoli. This afternoon, I'll be trying out homemade goat cheese (also sous vide last night, quick and easy) stuffed mini-peppers.

I really need to remember to keep a camera on hand.

Aloha, welcome to DC BlackBird.
That menu sounds delish! :yum:
Maybe you'd like to post that in "Today's Menu" thread. Each day, someone starts a thread about what's for supper. :chef:
Here's today's thread:
http://www.discusscooking.com/forum...are-you-making-tonight-98529.html#post1520982

I'm in the midst of making a blueberry pie right now. Blueberries were down to $1.88 a pint so I grabbed three pints to make the pie. Waiting for the bottom crust to re-chill after putting it into the plate. Then fill, add the top crust and bake.

Yesterday and today I prepared and froze a batch of vanilla ice cream to go with the pie. You can't have blueberry pie without vanilla ice cream!

I'm in the midst of making a blueberry pie right now. Blueberries were down to $1.88 a pint so I grabbed three pints to make the pie. Waiting for the bottom crust to re-chill after putting it into the plate. Then fill, add the top crust and bake.

Yesterday and today I prepared and froze a batch of vanilla ice cream to go with the pie. You can't have blueberry pie without vanilla ice cream!

Why that would be a horrible sin of such magnitude!

Today I cooked down three pounds of baby spinach for a Greek Spinach Pie I will be making tomorrow. I have all the ingredients ready to go. The Phyllo Dough is thawing out in the fridge. One good squeeze of the spinach to make it dryer and for that I will put Pirate to work. His hands are much stronger than mine. Right now, even though I squeezed out all of it in little bits at a time, it is still not as dry as I want it. But while it is sitting in the fridge, it is in a strainer with a large baking pan underneath it for "just in case".

Back
Top Bottom