What are you Baking Today?|2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried almond flour or peanut flour?

I've used almond flour in my cranberry nut loaf (the recipe has pecans and almonds in it) which complimented it wonderfully.

I used the peanut flour for breading.

I haven't tried coconut flour yet but it would probably be great for shrimp.
Did you use the almond flour in the nut loaf on its own or did you mix it with "normal" flour? If so, what proportions, please?

Alice Cookies. Not sure if I will bake anything else. I might just do the dough today and bake them tomorrow. I have to do this while Dad's "in town."

It is lefse day at the Lutheran Church across the road then. I am just waiting for Dad to get back from Snakker Norsk (Norwegian coffee klatch). I got the griddle, rolling pins, and whatcha call it the board to roll it out on then.

FWIW, the Scandinavian syntax uses "then" at the end of sentences to replace the Norwegian use of "da."

I've been doing more baking lately. In addition to making my own bagels for years, I recently starting making English muffins. I decided to try making rolls for my "bigger than a hamburger bun" burgers. So I dug up a recipe on the King Arthur site for Kaiser Rolls. I'm trying that recipe for the first time this afternoon. Kaiser rolls call for an identifying pattern imprinted on the surface with a kaiser roll stamp. I don't have one so I'll call these deli rolls.

Today's bake is a sourdough "Yule boule" loaded with cranberries, walnuts, almonds and pecans :)

15338657_10154628843630435_5898026479047615104_n.jpg

Here's my first attempt. I didn't press out the raw dough enough so I ended up with smaller and taller buns. I guess I'll have to shape my burgers differently for a while.

1591-albums1062-picture6744.jpg

I've been doing more baking lately. In addition to making my own bagels for years, I recently starting making English muffins. I decided to try making rolls for my "bigger than a hamburger bun" burgers. So I dug up a recipe on the King Arthur site for Kaiser Rolls. I'm trying that recipe for the first time this afternoon. Kaiser rolls call for an identifying pattern imprinted on the surface with a kaiser roll stamp. I don't have one so I'll call these deli rolls.

I've made Kaiser rolls by hand.
Here's a link that shows step by step shaping instructions >>> https://www.preparedpantry.com/blog/make-kaiser-rolls/

I followed the instructions and here are mine. Not exactly like store bought but close enough.

img_1490268_0_4c6b08a5c9a1b4ecc415b6b5620bd555.jpg

Here's my first attempt. I didn't press out the raw dough enough so I ended up with smaller and taller buns. I guess I'll have to shape my burgers differently for a while.

1591-albums1062-picture6744.jpg
Those look wonderful Andy!!

Thanks, msmofet. But they're supposed to be for bigger than normal hamburgers. I think they're better suited for meatballs.

Here's a picture of the bun in use. It has a diameter about equal to a store bought hamburger bun. So I made my 8 ounce burger smaller and taller to accommodate the bun.

Also in place are sautéed mushrooms and onions, provolone cheese, genoa salami, tomato and mayonnaise.

The bun was very tasty and had a solid texture.

1591-albums1062-picture6748.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, msmofet. But they're supposed to be for bigger than normal hamburgers. I think they're better suited for meatballs.

How about meatball Parmesan sliders?

Here's a picture of the bun in use. It has a diameter about equal to a store bought hamburger bun. So I made my 8 ounce burger smaller and taller to accommodate the bun.

Also in place are sautéed mushrooms and onions, provolone cheese, genoa salami, tomato and mayonnaise.

The bun was very tasty and had a solid texture.

1591-albums1062-picture6748.jpg

Looks yummy. Did you use the King Arthur recipe?

Last edited:
How about meatball Parmesan sliders?

Looks yummy. Did you use the King Arthur recipe?

The buns are not slider size. They are burger bun size. I wanted them to be bigger in diameter.

Yes, their recipe for kaiser rolls.

The buns are not slider size. They are burger bun size. I wanted them to be bigger in diameter.

Yes, their recipe for kaiser rolls.

I used the same recipe. Did you see my post above with the link to shaping by hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom