"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 06-23-2005, 11:53 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Fruit Salad Recipe & Questions

<H1 style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">My Favorite Fruit Salad

1 container (8 oz.) Vanilla Lowfat Yogurt

1/3 cup orange juice

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

2 medium apples, chopped

2 cups seedless green grapes, halved

1/2 cup Dry Roasted Peanuts

Mixyogurt, orange juice and cinnamon in large bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Add remaining ingredients; mix lightly. Serveimmediately. Or, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. 4 servings

</H1>
This may be an obvious question, but I need it to serve about 10-12 people. Would I simply triple every ingredient? Also, what do you think about adding cherries? Any other fruit that you would add? Will adding fruit mess up the fruit to dressing ratio? Thanks for helping me yet again! I always seem to have questions!

By the way, this isn't my favorite fruit salad, it's just a recipe I came across.

Old 06-23-2005, 01:22 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Just triple the recipe.

Also, if you want to add other fruits, just keep the same measurements. For example, you need 6 cups of grapes for a triple recipe. Instead, use 2 of grapes, 2 of cherries and 2 of blackberries (or substitute others)

Same with the apples. Instead of six apples, use 2 apples, 2 peaches and 2 plums (or other fruits.)

Old 06-23-2005, 04:58 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen

And, to add to Andy, fruit salads look great when you use more than one type of apple - use red delicious, johnathan, granny smith and fugi! Also, if you want, cut them up a bit ahead of time and keep them in a baggie with lemon juice to prevent the browning they'll get from the air. You can also soak them in sprite for the same results. I've never had peanuts in a fruit salad - totally a different idea! I like to add pecans, and those little (dromedary brand, I think) sugared date bits.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:03 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

McDonald's is selling a fruit salad now with apples and red grapes and candied walnuts, plus a little container of yogurt. We tried it the other day to satisfy MIL's curiosity, and it was very boring. The walnuts were a good idea, though.

Load up on that extra fruit, ps8! My sis makes something similar for her kids, and adds a couple sprinkles of nutmeg to the yogurt. Her kids love it.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:29 PM   #5
Head Chef

In the summer months I like to use summer fruits to make my fruit salad. Here is how I make mine:

Pineapple - One whole cut into small cubes
Watermelon - One whole cut into small cubes
Honey Dew - One whole cut into small cubes
Cantalope - One whole cut into small cubes
1 bunch of red grapes picked, washed and drained
1 bunch of green grapes picked, washed and drained
1 packet of strawberries washed, cut into half
juice of 1 lemon
3 tbsp of sugar
Handful of mint chopped
zest of the same lemon

Stir in the lemon juice with sugar and pour it into the bowl with all the chopped fruits. Stir in some freshly chopped mint and lemon zest. Let it all macerate for an hour in the refrigerator before serving.

It serves a large crowd and is perfect for a summer get together or BBQ.

Tags
None