"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-30-2016, 04:19 PM   #11
Cook

hot dogs baked beans.... and yes marshmallows..

though i am burnt out on marshmallows. i work for a factory that makes marshmallows.. and every other non-perishables.

i am a rollback truck driver that takes the garbage bins and dumps them at the dump.. 7 plants locally make up this company...

but it is the marshmallow dumpster (also combined with shred wheat) that is the toughest to dump. it creeps out very slowly... like marshmallow cream on a cold day. it makes me so frustrated sometimes i get angry at the mmention of marshmallows.

waiting for that stuff to come out is like trying to coax a teenager out of bed at 5am.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:14 PM   #12
Master Chef

Banana boats were always a winner at Girl Scout camp-outs.

For each one you'll need:
1 square of aluminum foil
1 banana
chocolate chips, or leftover chocolate squares from S'mores (I suppose you can also use peanut butter chips. They didn't have those around when I was a leader...)
mini-marshmallows (sorry, rockey_, had to bring them up )

Place banana on foil, make a cut from stem-to-blossom-end right through the skin, about half-way through the banana.

Shove chocolate and marshmallows into the cut in the banana.

Draw foil up around banana so that the seam is on the topside. I bunch it up so that it forms a ridge that you can grab it by with tongs.

Let it cool a bit, unwrap the foil, and eat with a spoon.

Have fun camping!

Old 09-30-2016, 05:39 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice O. View Post
Tent Camping!
Now CI Dutch ovens and CI skillets can come into play. Blackened steak, fish or chicken would be on my menu. Maybe a wonderful braised dish, stew or chili in the Dutch oven. A fruit crisp or buckle for dessert.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:04 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockey_f_squirrell View Post
waiting for that stuff to come out is like trying to coax a teenager out of bed at 5am.
So true about a teenager.

The sky is the limit as to what to fix.
But it all depends on how much equipment you want to carry and how far you have to carry it.

When I did camp out (I no longer have the desire to do so.) Easy to fix things like hot dogs early on in the trek, dried beef, taters, fruit, and beans were the norm the deeper away from civilization you get. Easy to pack and cheap.

If you're camping close to civilization the more elaborate the meals can become. If you don't have to haul it on your back and have some form of keeping things cold your menu can expand.

Enjoy your camping trip. What you see and experience is more important then the meal.

And I agree about popcorn. It's fun and delicious.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:34 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Freeze dried food!
Like Mountain House.
My friend took Joylents coffee for the mornings, for the first time he wasnt shaking in the early morning.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:46 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Corn on the cob, a couple potatoes (don't forget the foil), Rice-a-Roni, a baggie (if you're hiking - a box if you're going to be camping near your car) of biscuit mix and/or pancake mix (just add water), hot chocolate or apple cider, a box of macaroni and cheese, a couple of cans of chili, or if you're going to have a cooler, make some baked beans with hot dogs in them and bring those with you to heat up in a pot.

I used to bring up some hamburger for the first meal and a box of hamburger helper. That was when you made it with water, not milk. And speaking of milk, you can get those pints of milk that don't have to be refrigerated. I've seen them at QFC (Kroger foods) for $1 each.

With the freeze fried food you can also get desserts. I used to buy the strawberry cheesecake. It wasn't bad. And if you aren't going with a cooler, you might be able to find bacon strips in a can.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:37 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockey_f_squirrell View Post
Not true if something they want to do is happening! Like a fishing trip. I don't think I even slept the night before.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:15 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
Freeze dried food!
Like Mountain House.
Mountain House and other makes of freeze dried foods are pricey, and IMO, they don't taste that good. They're great for some who backpack and want to carry several days' worth of food without weighing down their packs.
And for car camping I don't see a practical benefit of using freeze dried foods when you can load a cooler worth of fresh food. Rock.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Well I dont know your brands, I used to get military rations when I camped. Oh that porridge was ace in the morning.

Tags
food