"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Masa Harina is "dough flour", essentially powdered hominy (slake lime treated corn and then ground into a flour. You use Masa Harina if you want to make corn tortillas. Otherwise, use regular flour to make flour tortillas.

Do not substitute corn meal or regular corn flour, however; they're produced from different types of corn and are processed differently. They will not produce the same results.

Corn flour and Masa Harina have no glutton. The so-called "wheat powder" is "wheat glutton", and gives the tortillas the texture to stay together and not fall apart.

While lard can be used (and part of the reason to have to let them rest - soaking the Masa Harina into a softness is the other part), oil seems to give them a silkier texture and allows you to continue the making of them without interruption.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
The skillet is flat bottomed, but uses no frying oil. She dry-fries them because she wants them lightly browned but soft enough to roll with sausage, salsa and scambled egg inside.

Crispy tortillas that have been fried in oil are made into chips, either with salt, or with cinnamon-sugar.
She is such a good cook. What kind of flour she uses? Whole wheat powder or corn powder or?

Old 01-23-2010, 09:39 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanolpez View Post
She is such a good cook. What kind of flour she uses? Whole wheat powder or corn powder or?
She uses regular all purpose flour. Her mother, who lives in Mexico, uses something else I think, but I'll ask the next time I talk to her.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Masa Harina is "dough flour", essentially powdered hominy (slake lime treated corn and then ground into a flour. You use Masa Harina if you want to make corn tortillas. Otherwise, use regular flour to make flour tortillas.

Do not substitute corn meal or regular corn flour, however; they're produced from different types of corn and are processed differently. They will not produce the same results.

Corn flour and Masa Harina have no glutton. The so-called "wheat powder" is "wheat glutton", and gives the tortillas the texture to stay together and not fall apart.

While lard can be used (and part of the reason to have to let them rest - soaking the Masa Harina into a softness is the other part), oil seems to give them a silkier texture and allows you to continue the making of them without interruption.
I tried to use the corn flour before, however, after stirring it cannot form a apliable dough but scattered mass of powder. You mean if I mix the corn flour and the lard, it can form a apliable dough?
Old 01-23-2010, 10:21 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Actually, in that post I was responding to Linicx's suggestion to use Masa Harina and that particular recipe.

Just use regular flour for white flour tortillas, or if you want to try to make corn tortillas (stiffer, more of a corn flavor and more coarse than flour tortillas) use Masa Harina, corn flour and wheat glutton (which can be purchased separately in some supermarkets or health food stores).
Old 01-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
She uses regular all purpose flour. Her mother, who lives in Mexico, uses something else I think, but I'll ask the next time I talk to her.
Thanks. It is very nice of you. Look forward to your good news.
All the very best
Old 01-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Actually, in that post I was responding to Linicx's suggestion to use Masa Harina and that particular recipe.

Just use regular flour for white flour tortillas, or if you want to try to make corn tortillas (stiffer, more of a corn flavor and more coarse than flour tortillas) use Masa Harina, corn flour and wheat glutton (which can be purchased separately in some supermarkets or health food stores).
Wheat glutton or wheat gluten? It is used for giving texture for the corn flour so as to form a dough rather than scattered mass of powder?
Old 01-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanolpez View Post
Wheat glutton or wheat gluten? It is used for giving texture for the corn flour so as to form a dough rather than scattered mass of powder?
I'm a glutton for gluten! LOL!

Yes, it is.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #19
Senior Cook

"Scattered Dough" reminds me of not enough liquid.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:01 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
"Scattered Dough" reminds me of not enough liquid.
Normally, how long it takes you to knead the dough? 10 mins?