"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #11
Executive Chef
 
Selkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,796
Masa Harina is "dough flour", essentially powdered hominy (slake lime treated corn and then ground into a flour. You use Masa Harina if you want to make corn tortillas. Otherwise, use regular flour to make flour tortillas.

Do not substitute corn meal or regular corn flour, however; they're produced from different types of corn and are processed differently. They will not produce the same results.

Corn flour and Masa Harina have no glutton. The so-called "wheat powder" is "wheat glutton", and gives the tortillas the texture to stay together and not fall apart.

While lard can be used (and part of the reason to have to let them rest - soaking the Masa Harina into a softness is the other part), oil seems to give them a silkier texture and allows you to continue the making of them without interruption.
__________________

__________________
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #12
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
The skillet is flat bottomed, but uses no frying oil. She dry-fries them because she wants them lightly browned but soft enough to roll with sausage, salsa and scambled egg inside.

Crispy tortillas that have been fried in oil are made into chips, either with salt, or with cinnamon-sugar.
She is such a good cook. What kind of flour she uses? Whole wheat powder or corn powder or?
__________________

__________________
espanolpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:39 AM   #13
Executive Chef
 
Selkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by espanolpez View Post
She is such a good cook. What kind of flour she uses? Whole wheat powder or corn powder or?
She uses regular all purpose flour. Her mother, who lives in Mexico, uses something else I think, but I'll ask the next time I talk to her.
__________________
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Masa Harina is "dough flour", essentially powdered hominy (slake lime treated corn and then ground into a flour. You use Masa Harina if you want to make corn tortillas. Otherwise, use regular flour to make flour tortillas.

Do not substitute corn meal or regular corn flour, however; they're produced from different types of corn and are processed differently. They will not produce the same results.

Corn flour and Masa Harina have no glutton. The so-called "wheat powder" is "wheat glutton", and gives the tortillas the texture to stay together and not fall apart.

While lard can be used (and part of the reason to have to let them rest - soaking the Masa Harina into a softness is the other part), oil seems to give them a silkier texture and allows you to continue the making of them without interruption.
I tried to use the corn flour before, however, after stirring it cannot form a apliable dough but scattered mass of powder. You mean if I mix the corn flour and the lard, it can form a apliable dough?
__________________
espanolpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:21 AM   #15
Executive Chef
 
Selkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,796
Actually, in that post I was responding to Linicx's suggestion to use Masa Harina and that particular recipe.

Just use regular flour for white flour tortillas, or if you want to try to make corn tortillas (stiffer, more of a corn flavor and more coarse than flour tortillas) use Masa Harina, corn flour and wheat glutton (which can be purchased separately in some supermarkets or health food stores).
__________________
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #16
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
She uses regular all purpose flour. Her mother, who lives in Mexico, uses something else I think, but I'll ask the next time I talk to her.
Thanks. It is very nice of you. Look forward to your good news.
All the very best
__________________
espanolpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #17
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Actually, in that post I was responding to Linicx's suggestion to use Masa Harina and that particular recipe.

Just use regular flour for white flour tortillas, or if you want to try to make corn tortillas (stiffer, more of a corn flavor and more coarse than flour tortillas) use Masa Harina, corn flour and wheat glutton (which can be purchased separately in some supermarkets or health food stores).
Wheat glutton or wheat gluten? It is used for giving texture for the corn flour so as to form a dough rather than scattered mass of powder?
__________________
espanolpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #18
Executive Chef
 
Selkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by espanolpez View Post
Wheat glutton or wheat gluten? It is used for giving texture for the corn flour so as to form a dough rather than scattered mass of powder?
I'm a glutton for gluten! LOL!

Yes, it is.
__________________
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #19
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Not where you live
Posts: 197
"Scattered Dough" reminds me of not enough liquid.
__________________
linicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:01 PM   #20
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
"Scattered Dough" reminds me of not enough liquid.
Normally, how long it takes you to knead the dough? 10 mins?
__________________

__________________
espanolpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.