ISO: Recipe ideas with Brussell Sprouts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Piccolina said:
Hi Constance, I really like the pinenut idea, they can be a lot easier to get year round than chestnuts depending on where you live :)

Jessica, I've never even seen a chestnut...in fact, it's just been the last few years that I've been able to find pine nuts here.
There are advantages to living in rural areas though...like watching the deer eating persimmons just a few feet from my kitchen window.

Constance said:
Jessica, I've never even seen a chestnut...in fact, it's just been the last few years that I've been able to find pine nuts here.
There are advantages to living in rural areas though...like watching the deer eating persimmons just a few feet from my kitchen window.
Hi Constance, I know what you mean, I went from big city Canada to (what I call) the boonies in Ireland (with a little pit stop in between in Dublin). There are zillions of ingredients and pieces of equiptment that you can't get here. In fact I was quite surprised when I saw chesnuts (at a crazy $$) at the tiny local orgnaic store. Pinenuts are very versitile, and great to have on hand, if you ever do get the chance to try a chestnut, they are lovey though :)

Castagne.jpg
castagne1.jpg
Here are chestnuts for you Constance!! Are you sure you don't find a tree of chestnut around your house? It is the season right now... I hope you will get to not only see them but taste them... they are such treats!!

LOL, Licia, you beat me to it! I was just coming back to put up a chestnut picture :mrgreen: I meant to add as well Constance, that I see your point about rural beauty, I know my DH would jump with joy if a persimmon tree spouted near us (I found them at one store, one and each one - which was about the size of a mandrine orange - was €1.50 [euro] each!). I'm sure you have amazing scenery, and an abundance of wonderful local produce.

Another brussel sprout thought is to cut them into quarters and use them in place of Chinese greens in stir-frys if you don't happen to have any bok choy or such kicking around your kitchen.

Yes sometimes we ponder about the pluses of living in an isolated area especially when the next door neighbour start bi...ing over the "noise" we make late at night (beh, we never do anything so noisy like having the music on full blast or banging on the wall with a hammer... and no one else complains just her!!), or when we must circle around the vicinity of the house for more than half an hour trying to find a parking spot... And there are many lovely places just outside Rome and they cost so much less....Well with what Cristiano does it may not be such a farfetched idea to create a home-based business using remote administration, it is a thought becoming more and more tempting!!

Anyway we did a lovely dish with Brussell Sprout yesterday, we had a power outage for 4 hours so we didn't have much time, and I just kind gathered, mixed and matched everyone's idea to make a quick skillet variety, but it was delicious!!

I pressure cooked the BS crisp tender, cut them in 2 or 4, sautèed chopped onion in a big skillet, then added the BS, steamed chestnut and some left over potatoes, a little herbs, white pepper and salt and sautèed a little more, at the end poured cooking cream and just heated it through... we were more than satisfied with the result!!:chef:

That sounds wonderful!

Here's a picture I found that HB snapped of my Thanksgiving Brussels Sprouts last year. These didn't have the red peppers because we forgot to buy them. :wacko:

Attachments

• post-4-1110555320_thumb.jpg
    post-4-1110555320_thumb.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Constance, that looks DELISH!!! Thank you for posting the pic.

Sprouts from Outer Space

Make a batch of your favorite meatloaf mixture and lovingly wrap those little cruciferous creations (the brussels sprouts) in a cozy blanket of the mixture, not too thick as you mustn't overpower the Brussels Sprouts. Line a baking pan or dish with these little balls of delight. Bake approximately 20 minutes at 350º. Add a squirt of ketchup just minutes before completion or a sauce of your choice. Not much else needed for this meal but a fine roll or breadstick to poke them around with. Enjoy!

P.S. Not TNT :LOL:

Last edited:
That sounds kind of like a reverse cabbage roll, Mish. I'll bet a jar of doctored up Prego would taste good with them...or some Creole rice.

Here's another good looking recipe:

Orange Glazed Brussels Sprouts
Prep: 5 min - Cook: 10 to 12 min

1/3 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon orange zest
1 package (16 ounces) BIRDS EYE Brussels Sprouts, cooked according to package directions.

In saucepan, combine orange juice and cornstarch.
Add butter and orange zest.
Cook over medium heat, stirring until mixture thickens and is bubbly.
Stir in brussels sprouts; heat through.

Makes 6 servings

*I might want a pinch of sugar or brown sugar in the glaze.

Last edited:
Constance said:
That sounds kind of like a reverse cabbage roll, Mish. I'll bet a jar of doctored up Prego would taste good with them...or some Creole rice.

Why didn't I think of that? It would probably be easier and faster than stuffing cabbage. I may give it a try. Porcupine brussels sprouts. :LOL: Thanks Constance.

The orange sprouts look good too.

Ooooh how glad I am to have started this thread!!! So many mouthwatering ideas!!

This is, by the way, what I ended up doing last night

I had some leftover pre-steamed BS, I cutted up in either in quarters or, small ones in half

Sauteed chopped scallions, some diced porcini mushrooms, and roughly ground walnuts in evoo. Added the BS and thoroughly heated them up, added a little vegetable broth, white pepper and a pinch of corn flour already dissolved and blended the liquid well with the vegs. Tossed this mixture with farfalle pasta, topped with lots of parmigiano. The experiment was a great success it was soooo good!!:-p

mish said:
Constance, that looks DELISH!!! Thank you for posting the pic.

Sprouts from Outer Space

Make a batch of your favorite meatloaf mixture and lovingly wrap those little cruciferous creations (the brussels sprouts) in a cozy blanket of the mixture, not too thick as you mustn't overpower the Brussels Sprouts. Line a baking pan or dish with these little balls of delight. Bake approximately 20 minutes at 350º. Add a squirt of ketchup just minutes before completion or a sauce of your choice. Not much else needed for this meal but a fine roll or breadstick to poke them around with. Enjoy!

P.S. Not TNT :LOL:

We made this for the second time last night...we loved them so much the first time around, but noticed also a small room for improvement. When they came out of the oven the surfaces were a bit too much on the dry side. Therefore this time we cooked them IN the sauce (I used my all purpose homemade pasta sauce) covered with foil on top of the baking dish. They remained wonderfully tender and moist, that was a definete improvement!!:chef:

Don't recall if I've already posted this one (since, there was a topic for Brussels Sprouts), but here is another.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ussels+sprouts

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ussels+sprouts

Brussels Sprouts with Vinegar Glazed Red Onions
Serves 4

The sweetness of the onions is a nice contrast to the strong taste of the brussels
sprouts.

1 basket brussels sprouts(about 10 ounces)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small red onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Trim outer leaves and stems from brussels sprouts, and discard. Bring a medium pot of
water to a boil, and add salt. Meanwhile, prepare an ice-water bath. Add brussels sprouts
to boiling water, and cook until tender but still bright green, about 4 minutes. Remove
from heat, drain, and plunge into ice-water bath to cool. Drain well, and cut in half.

Heat 1/2 tablespoon butter and 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a large heavy skillet over
medium-high heat. Add brussels sprouts, and cook, tossing occasionally, until they are
brown and crisp on the edges, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and
transfer to a large bowl. Cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.

Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon each butter and oil to the same pan over medium-low heat. Add
onions, and cook, tossing occasionally, until wilted and transparent, about 3 to 4
minutes. Add vinegar (stand back to avoid the fumes), and stir to loosen any brown bits on
bottom of pan. Cook until vinegar is reduced and the onions are glazed, about 30 seconds.

Add onions to brussels sprouts, and toss well. Serve immediately. Garnish with toasted
hazelnuts if desired.

Last edited:
We cook them with a little water in the microwave and put butter and salt in them and they are really good that way.

Grace

I would never have thought anyone could make brussel sprouts so interesting. I was introduced to them here in europe and all my husband said was 'just boil them and add a bit of salt' and I am still doing that. I will change all that now.

Another thing I like to do with brussels sprouts is put them in with my pot roast (beef or pork), along with the potatoes and carrots. They are also a delicious addition to beef stew.

I jumped from page 1 to 4 so I hope I'm not repeating anything....I grow lots of them as I like them small in size and my children would eat them. I freeze many bags of sprouts and enjoy them all year long. I have always just steamed them and added salt and pepper but you chefs have come up with some fantastic recipes. Caan't wait to try them. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom