"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-06-2016, 08:18 AM   #1
Head Chef

Mexican Rice and Beans as you would find in a recipe help

Inspired by the stuffed pepper thread, I go a few questions about Mexican Rice and Beans , as you would find in a restaurant ( or at least my restaurant).

Id like to duplicate them as close as possible.

Heres the description.

Rice:
Rice is small thin grain
Color is a pale reddish orange
Its dry and flakey ( not soupy or saucey)
Very bland, but in a good way ( almost keep it simple stupid)
No obvious signs of vegetables or vegetable pieces ( such as onions, peppers or tomatoes)
When Dissecting it, i did detect what looked like tomato paste, which was probably supposed to break down, but i managed to find some that didn't

Beans:
Mostly smooth ( with a few beans that escaped the food processor blades)
No evidence of any other vegetables other than the beans
bland, but in a good way
always served with melted white bland cheese on top

I make a Spanish rice, which is not as dry, and has the obvious onions and peppers in it , which is very good, but I'm looking more for the simple, mexican rice served in my local restaurant.

Any recipes or help appreciated, even if not vegetarian
Im aware of the use of lard ( not that I use it) so it won't come as a complete shock if some of your suggestions require it.

Larry

Larry

Old 01-06-2016, 10:04 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Sounds like long grain rice maybe cooked in some tomato to give it color.

The beans appear to be refried. Pinto beans are typically used.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Mexican Rice

Ingredients:

• 1 cup brown rice
• 2 cups vegetable broth
• 14½ oz can petite diced tomatoes, with juice
• ½ red bell pepper, diced
• ½ green bell pepper, diced
• 1 jalapeño, ribs and seeds removed, diced
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp Mexican oregano
• 1/2 tsp ground coriander
• fresh cilantro for garnish

Instructions:

Pour vegetable broth and juice from petite diced tomatoes into a large measuring cup. Add water to make 2½ cups, if required. Put all ingredients into a rice cooker or a medium sized pot and cook as you would everyday rice.

Place the finished rice in a serving bowl and garnish it with fresh cilantro*.

Refried Beans

Ingredients:

• 1½ cups dry pinto beans
• 4 Tbs bacon fat
• ½ cup onion, minced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
• 2 tsp cumin
• 2 tsp paprika
• 2 tsp sea salt
• 1 tsp chili powder
• 1 tsp black pepper

Instructions:

Soak the beans, covered in water, for 8 hours or overnight then drain and rinse the soaked beans. Cover them with fresh water by about 3 inches, bring the pot to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for about 3 hours, adding more water if necessary, until the beans are tender. Drain the beans, reserving the bean broth.

In a large saucepan, sauté the onion and jalapeño in the bacon fat until soft. Add the garlic and sauté for about 45 seconds more.

Add the beans and some of the bean broth. Add the cumin, paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper and mix well. Bring to a slow simmer and cook for 10 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once beans are heated through, mash them with a potato masher or an immersion blender to the desired consistency.

Place the refried beans in a serving bowl and garnish with fresh cilantro* and scallions.

*If you're one of those people who think cilantro tastes like soap, use epazote, which tastes more like kerosene, or just use parsley.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:37 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Mexican Rice and Beans as you would find in a recipe help

The addition of Sazón Goya con Azafran (saffron) will Mexican-up rice and beans. It's basically MSG with other seasonings, is vegan, and will give a bit of orangey color to rice. Comes in a box of small packets.

Nice recipes, SLoB! Have never heard epazote compared to kerosene
Old 01-06-2016, 11:48 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Nice recipes, SLoB! Have never heard epazote compared to kerosene
I've heard it compared to gasoline, kerosine, turpentine and creosote. Personally, I like it and I used it in place of cilantro in several of my Mexican dishes in Amoretti Test Kitchen taste tests to see if I get a negative reaction, but I never did. Fortunately there is a Mercado de Productos in my neighborhood so I have a ready supply.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Rice:
Rice is small thin grain
Color is a pale reddish orange
Its dry and flakey ( not soupy or saucey)
Very bland, but in a good way ( almost keep it simple stupid)
If this is really what you want, look for Del Real Arroz in your grocers refrigerated case. That's about as bland as Mexican style rice gets.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:15 PM   #7
Master Chef

don't forget a lot of restaurants are trying t cut corners and simplify a lot of recipes, read skip ingredients.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
don't forget a lot of restaurants are trying t cut corners and simplify a lot of recipes, read skip ingredients.
Yeah, the rice i have there is very simple, can't even say its the greatest rice Ive ever eaten, but its great for what it is ( and the same with the beans). Its almost like it follows the rule " Less is more"
Old 01-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #9
Master Chef

I always sauté the rice in the tiniest bit of oil first before adding the liquid - it does wonders for making a nice fluffy rice that has separate grains, as opposed to sticky rice. Saute just long enough that you begin to detect a nutty aroma. Add chicken or veggie broth and cook as directed.

I usually add a tiny bit of turmeric to the cooking liquid for the yellowy/orangey color, and sometimes a spoonful of salsa or a little tomato paste - not a lot, I don't want it to taste tomatoey. I like to mix a few peas in when I take it off the stove.

For the refried beans, I mash them a little more to make them creamier. I usually use Cotija to top while they're still hot. It's a hard, crumbly, rather salty flavored Mexican cheese and I'm pretty sure that's what they use in restaurants. It's delicious. Refried black beans are very good, too.

I need to try the Sazón Goya con Azafran that Dawg mentioned. Sounds good.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:04 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Why do you want bland rice and beans? I always ask for limes, salsa and hot sauce at restaurants to add to mine.

Tags
beans, mexican, recipe, rice

Mexican Rice and Beans as you would find in a recipe help Inspired by the stuffed pepper thread, I go a few questions about Mexican Rice and Beans , as you would find in a restaurant ( or at least my restaurant). Id like to duplicate them as close as possible. Heres the description. [B][U]Rice:[/U][/B] Rice is small thin grain Color is a pale reddish orange Its dry and flakey ( not soupy or saucey) Very bland, but in a good way ( almost keep it simple stupid) No obvious signs of vegetables or vegetable pieces ( such as onions, peppers or tomatoes) When Dissecting it, i did detect what looked like tomato paste, which was probably supposed to break down, but i managed to find some that didn't [B][U]Beans:[/U][/B] Mostly smooth ( with a few beans that escaped the food processor blades) No evidence of any other vegetables other than the beans bland, but in a good way always served with melted white bland cheese on top I make a Spanish rice, which is not as dry, and has the obvious onions and peppers in it , which is very good, but I'm looking more for the simple, mexican rice served in my local restaurant. Any recipes or help appreciated, even if not vegetarian Im aware of the use of lard ( not that I use it) so it won't come as a complete shock if some of your suggestions require it. Larry Larry 3 stars 1 reviews