"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #1721
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta

i read "tattoo" and "fire". didn't much care for fire, so the hornets nest is only a maybe for future consideration. what about you, dawg? did you like this trilogy?
I found the first one (Tattoo) terribly tedious for the first 200 pages or so, forged through it, and really enjoyed the rest of the book, so I finished the series. DH couldn't make it past the first one.

It's been awhile.

Sorry you didn't care for Elizabeth! I find her style charming, but I haven't been down to the pool since we shut it down!

Old 09-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #1722
Sous Chef

I am reading The Other Wes Moore by Wes Moore. It is very interesting.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #1723
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
sorry, i tried to like elizabeth peters' the golden one (amelia peabody)--but just not my cup of tea, i guess. peters seems a fine writer, but her style is too formal and quaint for my tastes....ken follett's pillars of the earth--a happy surprise--thanks, alix, for pushing this one! i especially like when he writes about building construction, cathedrals, architecture--a finely crafted book, and nice and loong.:) don't know where to start, what to say about accordion crimes. annie proulx is simply brilliant!! her descriptive powers are breathtaking and mesmerizing, and about the only thing that kept me reading through many lengthy, dark, deeply disturbing accounts of human suffering and carnage. this book is a relentlessly depressing treatise of the human condition, as it follows generations of hapless immigrants repeatedly thwarted in their attempts to assimilate into a rigidly prejudiced american society. a musical thread is provided by a little green accordion as it bounces across the country and a span of 100 plus years, bringing brief glimmers of respite through music at times, but brutal endings to each successive accordion owner. this book has been a love/hate journey every step of the way for me. only proulx's captivating vignettes kept me coming back. forty pages still remain--certain parts of this book will remain sharply embedded in my memory banks forever. i will, i must read more proulx, god help me....
Sometimes, to me the value of reading books such as this is in bringing me up short and putting my everyday, for the most part easy American life, in sharp perspective....accidents of birth, etc. My "struggles" would be a less fortunate soul's child's play, something I need to have pointed out to me occasionally.

Her The Shipping News is a bit less grim, also beautifully written. But I really didn't like the movie version - wrong cast all around.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #1724
Executive Chef

for those of you missing stieg larsson--a new source of nordic noir by jussi adler-olsen in the keeper of lost causes. i'm in up to my ears already....
Old 09-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #1725
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i read "tattoo" and "fire". didn't much care for fire, so the hornets nest is only a maybe for future consideration.
I am with you on tattoo and fire. Tattoo was good, but the first half the book I struggled to stay with it. Like Dawgluver I found it tedious. Hornets Nest is my favorite so far.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #1726
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I accidentally read them out of order...so I was hooked on the second book, struggled through the first and was hanging out at the loading dock the might the third released. But by the time I was struggling, I was already enamored of the story.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #1727
Chef Extraordinaire

Autobiography of Black Hawk, a Sauk Indian who fought against the govt in northern Illinois in the 1830s. The Black Hawk War was the one in which Abe Lincoln performed his military service. Just finished wading thru all the introductory junk and will start the good stuff tonight.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #1728
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
Autobiography of Black Hawk, a Sauk Indian who fought against the govt in northern Illinois in the 1830s. The Black Hawk War was the one in which Abe Lincoln performed his military service. Just finished wading thru all the introductory junk and will start the good stuff tonight.
I'd like to put that on my list -- is that the title? I couldn't find it in my library catalog. TIA.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #1729
Sous Chef

I'm just finishing up Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I've dragged myself through it and I'm almost done, thank goodness! I just can't get into it. There are parts that are mildly humerous, but perhaps I know the original too well to get lost in this one. He used too much of the original text to make it fly as a spoof with me, but changed the principal characters too much for me to accept it as an "update" or whatever it was intended to be. I know it's not meant to be serious, but the cheesy fight "scenes," hokey innuendos and references to Shao Lin training contrast too much with the bulk of the text that was left alone. Again though, it may be that I'm just too familiar with (and fond of) the original for my brain to mash it all together.

Up next is A Million Miles in a Thousand Years, by Donald Miller. I have no idea what it's about, besides the fact that it's an autobiography. It was recommended to me by a friend, so we'll see. I hope it holds my attention better than my current labor!
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #1730
Chef Extraordinaire

the glass castle, very good, a read that you don't want to end. i have have been reading way to much micheal connealy.