Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sitting here spellbound reading the first book from Drew Chapman, called The Ascendant.

Today is supposed to be a cooking day, but I can't seem to put it down. This author is really good. I'm excited and already hoping for more.

There is a blurb in the front of the book to be waiting for another book, The Conjurer King.. Gee, I hope he writes fast. I would gobble them up.

"Eat, Pray, Love"

Just finished "Unnatural Death" by Dorothy L Sayers and "Pardonable Lies" (The third "Maisie Dobbs" novel. Mysteries with a difference) Both good.

About to start (when it arrives) "Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything." by Elizabeth Gilbert, which is our February book group choice. I've made the mistake of reading the Amazon reviews both on .co.uk and .com and there are some real humdingers!

Has anyone read it and what did you think of it?

Just finished "Unnatural Death" by Dorothy L Sayers and "Pardonable Lies" (The third "Maisie Dobbs" novel. Mysteries with a difference) Both good.

About to start (when it arrives) "Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything." by Elizabeth Gilbert, which is our February book group choice. I've made the mistake of reading the Amazon reviews both on .co.uk and .com and there are some real humdingers!

I have not read it MC but it sure sounds like something I'd like..I just ordered it, and thanks...
Here's more about it.

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert | 9781101010914 | NOOK Book (eBook) | Barnes & Noble

Having skipped "Modern Novels" class in favor of Shakespeare, there are many classic books I've not read. I'm trying to read them now. I'm currently reading "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou. I'm enjoying it.

Thoroughly enjoying this one! It's fiction written around how a fairy-tale (Rapunzel) came to be.

IiPXxN9.jpg

John Grisham. Sycamore Row.
Almost done.
Good read.
Next up....
David Baldacci. The Hit.
I read a lot of books I find at the grocery store. ;)

I've been wanting to read that. I saw the movie and it was somewhat underwhelming, but I'm not a Julia Roberts fan. ;) I can imagine the book is a lot better.

I just ordered "Wild". Can't wait till it gets here. Much of the locale is near where I live and play, and close to my daughter and SIL's cabin up in Kennedy Meadows. It should be a fantastic read. Also want to see the movie, but I want to read the book first. :)

Last edited:
My BIL gave DH a book for Christmas, but he doesn't have much patience to sit and read, so I picked it up. It's true story called "In the Kingdom of Ice" by Hampton Sides about a Navy ship's crew stranded in the Arctic and how they get home. It takes place in the 1880s. Good so far.

I just ordered "Wild". Can't wait till it gets here. Much of the locale is near where I live and play, and close to my daughter and SIL's cabin up in Kennedy Meadows. It should be a fantastic read. Also want to see the movie, but I want to read the book first. :)

I think you'll really enjoy "Wild" Cheryl. I liked the movie a lot too, but like you, I'm glad I read the book first. Reese Witherspoon did a fantastic job with the movie, but as always the movie lacked the details.

Just finished the 5th "Maisie Dobbs" mystery, "An Incomplete Revenge" by Jacqueline Winspear. Can't wait for number 6. The author was born and brought up in Kent in the south of England but is now based in the USA.

The books are set in the 1920s and 30s and her detective is a young Englishwoman who was severely affected by her service as a nurse in France during the 1914-18 war. She's also a psychologist and this and the long term effects of the war in some part affect her cases. Don't expect a warm and cuddly Miss Marple.

The author portrays the England of the time very well with only the occasional minor lapses reflecting the writer's American background - mostly they don't affect the plot. I'd recommend reading "Maisie Dobbs" the first book in the series as, whilst it is a stand-alone read, it does set the scene for the following books but it isn't essential.

I've just started the next choice for our book group. "Eat, Pray, Love : One Woman's Search for Everything" by Elizabeth Gilbert. The Amazon reviews included some really awful ones and I'm beginning to see what they mean. Self-obsession and navel-gazing seems to be a strong thread so far! I have a feeling it will need a deal of determination not to throw it through the nearest window!

I think you'll really enjoy "Wild" Cheryl. I liked the movie a lot too, but like you, I'm glad I read the book first. Reese Witherspoon did a fantastic job with the movie, but as always the movie lacked the details.

I can hardly wait till my book arrives, Kay. It isn't playing yet in the theater here, so I should have plenty of time to read it before I go see it. :)

"Wild" arrived today, so I've been doing a lot of reading on this gray and cloudy day. :) Love it so far.

Warning: Spoiler alert.

If you have teenagers at home, steer them clear away from reading "Every Day" by D. Levithan. My DW picked up one for our daughter, unfortunately I only found out latter about the book, after I picked it up in the bathroom. Ok, I am a religious man and my views are slanted, I will admit that. And it is not that I am against parents talking to children about sex, or kids reading about sex from the scientific point of view. But I hate books that promote sex, promote promiscuity. Hate books where kids that are having sex are consider "the cool crowd" and those of our children who are innocent enough to simply have fun with their friends, to have fun playing sports or music, doing their homework and work hard in school are considered "not cool".

Warning: Spoiler alert.

If you have teenagers at home, steer them clear away from reading "Every Day" by D. Levithan. My DW picked up one for our daughter, unfortunately I only found out latter about the book, after I picked it up in the bathroom. Ok, I am a religious man and my views are slanted, I will admit that. And it is not that I am against parents talking to children about sex, or kids reading about sex from the scientific point of view. But I hate books that promote sex, promote promiscuity. Hate books where kids that are having sex are consider "the cool crowd" and those of our children who are innocent enough to simply have fun with their friends, to have fun playing sports or music, doing their homework and work hard in school are considered "not cool".
I haven't heard of this one. What age of child is it aimed at? Hopefully the "cool Crowd" will get their come-uppance.

My mom gave need the first three novels of the Earth's Children series, starting with The Clan of the Cave Bear. I've read that and I am halfway through The Valley of Horses. I'm really enjoying the series. Has anyone else read these books?

My mom gave need the first three novels of the Earth's Children series, starting with The Clan of the Cave Bear. I've read that and I am halfway through The Valley of Horses. I'm really enjoying the series. Has anyone else read these books?

I read them milleniums ago, when I was in college. Really enjoyed them.

Back
Top Bottom