Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could get plain yogurt and add your own flavorings. I do that and add vanilla extract, honey, Penzeys Pie Spice and some nuts. You can also add fresh fruit or jam. Yogurt and milk both have lots of protein, which slows down absorption of the carbs.

That's something I never thought about - I may do that sometime. Thanks for the suggestion. Someone told me something similar on one of my diabetes forums, but they add the individually packaged drink mixes.

I used to live on the east coast USA where you can still buy 4th of July fireworks that are more risky than California's Safe and Sane fireworks. I still have all my appendages.

Depends on where you are on the east coast. Fireworks are illegal in Virginia, but not in North Carolina.

Cj, there are good carbs and bad carbs. I found a good article that briefly explains the differences: EJGH

Also, what GG said about buying plain yogurt. I buy plain Greek yogurt by the 1 quart or 1 kilo, then add cut up fresh fruit, or walnuts and honey to that serving. So much tastier than the pre-mixed stuff. Watch the serving size, though. While the quart or kilo says approximately 4 serving, you can easily get 6 or 7 servings equivalent to the single serving cups.

I've noticed that the single serving containers are 5.9 oz. instead of 8 oz. Maybe it's because of the fruits and stuff that are in them, where as the plain in the big containers just has the yogurt itself for carb count.

That's something I never thought about - I may do that sometime. Thanks for the suggestion. Someone told me something similar on one of my diabetes forums, but they add the individually packaged drink mixes.
Cool :cool: Drink mixes? That sounds weird to me. I first had yogurt this way when I was in Turkey. It was so delicious :yum: We have it for dessert sometimes and I mix in chocolate and peanut butter chips.

Cool :cool: Drink mixes? That sounds weird to me. I first had yogurt this way when I was in Turkey. It was so delicious :yum: We have it for dessert sometimes and I mix in chocolate and peanut butter chips.

That's another thing I will have to try - I also have heard o mixing the drink mixes in with a cheese cake batter and making low-carb mini cheesecake muffins. I'll have to find the link and post it.

Ditto that, Dawg.

Heh, dragn, private fireworks are against the law in MA. Didn't stop our neighbor. He is a jerk, and his wife is a witch. And no one we would party with. We got into the habit of going somewhere on any day we thought could be a problem. He hasn't done much with the fireworks lately - he hasn't bought/shot off much ever since the cops came and took away about $200 of them...and he still had more in the house. :ermm:

I have to admit, since he was hauled off to jail in handcuffs about a year and a half ago, and then couldn't move back home for months (I'm guessing he had to go through some sort of husband re-edumacation training...), things have been better next door.

But trust me, the closer you live in MA to NH the more firecrackers you hear. The neighbors that live across the street from this building (for the elderly), the police do not respond to complaints. And you can be sure most of the folks in this building have called every year. Personally, it doesn't bother me. They only do it on July 4th every year and put on quite a show. But I am concerned that they will land on a roof and cause a fire.

When Poo was growing up, he best friend had a briefcase full of firecrackers from NH. The Juvenile Police Officer knew of his previous activities from previous years with firecrackers. So he stopped Poo and his friend. I just happened to be outside in the front yard when I saw the police car stop. He was talking to Poo and Sven. And he was putting them in his car. I got up there in a hurry. Identified myself and that Poo was my child. We talked for a few minutes and told him to take Poo down to the station. That I would be down in about 30 minutes or so to rescue him. That scared the bejesus out of my son. Thirty minutes was just long enough to breakup the friendship with Sven. Poo thought for sure I was not coming down for him. And he never wanted to be around any kid ever that had illegal fireworks again.

I've noticed that the single serving containers are 5.9 oz. instead of 8 oz. Maybe it's because of the fruits and stuff that are in them, where as the plain in the big containers just has the yogurt itself for carb count.

All products are now downsized. And it is always some odd size or weight that makes it more difficult for a diabetic to keep track of their intake of carbs.

California being a tinder dry state in the summer allows only the most "Safe and Sane" fireworks. They are boring. On the other hand, local professionally done 4th of July fireworks makes up for that. A lot of people get injured annually trying to accomplish such a show.

I used to live on the east coast USA where you can still buy 4th of July fireworks that are more risky than California's Safe and Sane fireworks. I still have all my appendages.

Caslon, California's "safe and sane" fireworks are a tragic joke. There are NO "safe and sane" fireworks if fire is involved. All towns here in Ventura County are prohibited from selling them except for one little town near us, and they sell thousands of dollars worth every year. They are only legal to be sold and used in that town (Fillmore) but we all know how that goes.
There just isn't enough police force to do much about it. They all should be put out of business for the safety of everyone!!

Last edited:
We have a dual detector in our apartments. Which think is a waste of money. Carbon dioxide does not rise, it settles down while the smoke rises. The one we have has been telling us to press the reset button. Every five days this happens. Pirate has to climb the kitchen stool and press the dang thing. Our manager has been attending company classes. When she comes back I am demanding a new one. We even put in a new battery. This detector has been in since I moved here more than ten years. This brand is supposed to be replaced every five years. This happens when you go for the lowest bidder. You get what you ask for.
Carbon dioxide detectors are not a waste of money. They save lives. I worked for several years on the gas emergency service over here and if you'd had to send as many engineers to fatalities due to carbon monoxide poisoning and had to deal with the paperwork because there were no CO monitors on site, as I have, you wouldn't quibble.

I have them in the rooms I have gas fires or the ch boiler and the cooker and wouldn't be without them. £35 per detector is cheap compared to the cost of a funeral.

Yours is probably due for replacement. Over hear ours have a 5 year life-span

Last edited:
CO detectors usually come with instructions to mount them 2ft.-3ft. off the floor.

Our neighbors' lives were saved by CO detectors a few years ago. Husband, wife and two children.

MA requires one on every level.

Caslon, California's "safe and sane" fireworks are a tragic joke. There are NO "safe and sane" fireworks if fire is involved. All towns here in Ventura County are prohibited from selling them except for one little town near us, and they sell thousands of dollars worth every year. They are only legal to be sold and used in that town (Fillmore) but we all know how that goes.
There just isn't enough police force to do much about it. They all should be put out of business for the safety of everyone!!

Sounds like NH having all the MASS folks making their yearly trip over the border. On some days there are State Troopers on the Mass side stopping every car and searching them for fireworks. The fireworks are confiscated and then they get a very expensive ticket for bring illegal items into the state over the border. The next day you read letters in The Boston Globe from irate citizens about the cost of the ticket. But they will be back next year doing the same thing.

CO detectors usually come with instructions to mount them 2ft.-3ft. off the floor.

Our neighbors' lives were saved by CO detectors a few years ago. Husband, wife and two children.

You and I know that Andy, but the idiots that run this place are more interested in saving money, than safety. We have five HUGE gas burners on the first floor for forced hot air heating. If one of them or even all of them become dysfunctional the fumes will come right into the apartments. We are screwed.

But I will give management some credit. They did respond quickly and put in a new one.

All products are now downsized. And it is always some odd size or weight that makes it more difficult for a diabetic to keep track of their intake of carbs.

I know, Addie - I have an app on my phone that I can type something in and it will give me the nutrition info. I also have a web site on the PC that I use to store my notes (meds, bs readings, and meals) and can print them out if I want to for Dr appointments.

I know, Addie - I have an app on my phone that I can type something in and it will give me the nutrition info. I also have a web site on the PC that I use to store my notes (meds, bs readings, and meals) and can print them out if I want to for Dr appointments.

I am terrible at taking my sugar readings. I do them when there is a commercial on regarding a diabetic product. Or someone mentions it. (Be right back, have to do a sugar reading.)

I am back. 137. Not bad considering I just ate some scrambled eggs with some caramelized Vidalia onions for breakfast. When I get around to it, I enter my numbers into a Windows Calc program. Then print it out whenever I have an appointment for Winthrop. I have just one column for "Date Last Printed." That way I am not wasting paper printing the whole thing every time. Winthrop has given up trying to get me to test my sugar more often and on a regular basis. Two or three times a week is enough for me. And they accept that.

I have a program that when I plug my glucometer in, it reads all my readings and all the other information pertinent to what Winthrop needs to know. But it doesn't show in figures my information. It is in all charts. So I don't use it at all.

Addie, I guess that because I'm on insulin I feel like I need to be more detailed in my readings and such. On my next appointment my PCP and I have some things to discuss. I want to switch from a pre-mixed insulin to a long acting and rapid acting separately. I tend to be high in the mornings and low in the evenings. I'm going to print out things from the last 3 months and show them to her and maybe it will help illustrate why I want to switch.

Addie, I guess that because I'm on insulin I feel like I need to be more detailed in my readings and such. On my next appointment my PCP and I have some things to discuss. I want to switch from a pre-mixed insulin to a long acting and rapid acting separately. I tend to be high in the mornings and low in the evenings. I'm going to print out things from the last 3 months and show them to her and maybe it will help illustrate why I want to switch.
You're doing the right thing. My aunt had Type 1 diabetes and she checked her sugar four or five times a day. She lived much longer than her doctors expected because she was so diligent about it.

keep a 9v battery around, just to stop the beep... ...the beep!

Last edited:
More than a dozen years ago, MA made CO detectors mandatory. I went out and bought three, one for each level of the home.

They are set up so that, after 10 years in place, a beeping starts that cannot be stopped. It appears the useful life is 10 years and you HAVE TO replace the devices.

More than a dozen years ago, MA made CO detectors mandatory. I went out and bought three, one for each level of the home.

They are set up so that, after 10 years in place, a beeping starts that cannot be stopped. It appears the useful life is 10 years and you HAVE TO replace the devices.

My hard wired Smoke/CO detector with battery backup will beep when it itself is on it's last legs? I should say so!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom