"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #1131
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Just came back from a meeting with a counselor from Human Resources Canada. I am considering a retraining program called Second Career. Looking into becoming a dietitian, or nutritionist in the Health Service sector. Will require going back to school for up to two years. It's a great program and something that may give me a chance for secure employment for the rest of my working days......So, I am researching all avenues of these possibilities....
great news day, rock! resources--you've got a wealth and depth of resources just waiting to be tapped! second career, sounding good, and you already have a nice base of nutritional knowledge that you can build on. good luck!

Old 01-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #1132
Certified Pretend Chef

Waiting for a neighbor who owns a truck to get home so I can go get my dishwasher. Then I have the angst of installing it. These things don't always go well for me.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #1133
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
great news day, rock! resources--you've got a wealth and depth of resources just waiting to be tapped! second career, sounding good, and you already have a nice base of nutritional knowledge that you can build on. good luck!
Thanks. You are right. I love the food buisness, but am tired of the transition and lack of job security in the restaurant game. Looking for something institutional with some long term security, if there is such a thing anymore.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #1134
Master Chef

Just got back from the grocery store. I bought 2~1 pound packages of 90% ground beef. They were on special for $3.98 each. As I was ready to leave the store I looked at my receipt and noticed that they rang up wrong, they rang up at $4.58 each. I went to the service desk, they checked it out and they did ring up wrong, so I got them free. Please everyone, check your receipts.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #1135
Master Chef

Quote:
Just came back from a meeting with a counselor from Human Resources Canada. I am considering a retraining program called Second Career. Looking into becoming a dietitian, or nutritionist in the Health Service sector. Will require going back to school for up to two years. It's a great program and something that may give me a chance for secure employment for the rest of my working days......So, I am researching all avenues of these possibilities....

That sounds like it would be interesting. I would think it could provide many different paths for employment working with almost any age group. I think people will probably continue to make bad food choices until well after you are ready to retire so it should be secure!
Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #1136
Executive Chef

Quote:
Good luck to you Rocklobster! I did the same thing in 1982. Went back to school for Electronics in a two year course and ended up working at an aircraft manufacturing facility, testing newly wired Jets and installing black boxes for 15 years before again switching career paths to Database Designing and retiring from it after another 10 years.

Not bad for a guy who started his working life as a dishwasher in a restaurant.

I hope your new adventure goes as well as mine did!
Old 01-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #1137
Assistant Cook

That made me laugh. I have one n the truck, car, my desk (don't ask), one mounted n the kitchen, one n the junk drawer, oh and one n my tool box. My house wine is 2Buck Chuck from Trader Joes.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #1138
Executive Chef

Thanks, folks. There is still a lot of stuff to sort out. Just starting the journey. Sounds like a great oppurtunity. Now, if it is actually doable.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #1139
Chef Extraordinaire

after d.c. i am going to play with my new sewing room. gotta clean up kitchen a bit before i can play. my granddaughter brought all of the pans, she had of mine. covered the dining room table. going to put them away. busy but fun day.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #1140
Assistant Cook

U sound busy