"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #1191
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Today is my day to begin taking down our Christmas decorations. Ours always stay up, the tree at least, until the Epiphany (January 6).

I began this morning by taking down the outside decorations. I couldn't pass up the opportunity. It is sunny and a lovely 65F out. Why not spend some of my time outdoors?

Since we emptied (in October) my rental storage space where I used to live, all the holiday "stuff" is now here. Albeit in a bit of a jumbled state. I've been taking my time readying Christmas decorations for storage in the attic so I can organize and, in some cases, give away pieces we won't use or don't need.

When Buck and I owned our shop, we always decorated quite lavishly for Christmas, so there is some amount of duplication. I'm saving the most beautiful/unique pieces and will either consign or donate the remaining unneeded things.

In some ways, going through all the decorations is bittersweet. It is causing me to remember the many Christmases I had with Buck and what some of the decorations mean. The most special ones I'll keep, of course.

Having said that, I'm thankful I had those holidays with him and I am even more thankful that I have another wonderful man to create more beautiful memories with. I'm blessed beyond measure.

At any rate, I'm up to my all-American eyeballs in garlands, bells, lights, reindeer, Santas, you name it...but I am actually enjoying myself and, believe it or not, I'm looking forward to next Christmas.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #1192
Chef Extraordinaire

My last point and shoot was probably one of the last to have a viewfinder. I needed it for outdoor pics, but the displays have really come a long way and I rarely use the viewfinder. I've been toying with the idea of getting a new camera, too. I'm having a rough time taking pics that require extreme closeups and would rather opt for a better camera than go the better lighting tripod route.

Anyway... it was gorgeous here today so I took one of my newly acquired firearms to the gun shop, got the headspace checked, then shot 20 rounds to see what it could do. I'll probably rip it apart now and give it a thorough cleaning now that everything checks out OK.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #1193
Certified Pretend Chef

My Sony has an automatic macro feature. In auto mode, you just inch up to an item and the camera switches over to macro mode. Point and shoot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00736.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	12763  
Old 01-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #1194
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm reading the installation guide for the new DW. Yeah, I'm one of those guys that reads the directions. It minimizes the odds that I'll screw something up and have to call a professional. I'm just smart enough to screw it up regardless so one step at a time.

Taking out the old one was tedious though not overly difficult. A surprising amount of smelly water in there that spilled out onto the kitchen floor. I thought I had turned off the power and was reminded with fireworks that I hadn't when I tried to cut the power line.

The first thing I did was measure the opening to ensure the new DW would fit as it has a "tall" tub. It will.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #1195
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm reading the installation guide for the new DW. Yeah, I'm one of those guys that reads the directions. It minimizes the odds that I'll screw something up and have to call a professional. I'm just smart enough to screw it up regardless so one step at a time.

Taking out the old one was tedious though not overly difficult. A surprising amount of smelly water in there that spilled out onto the kitchen floor. I thought I had turned off the power and was reminded with fireworks that I hadn't when I tried to cut the power line.

The first thing I did was measure the opening to ensure the new DW would fit as it has a "tall" tub. It will.
Good luck Andy! It sounds like you've got it well in hand. I hope the rest of the installation goes smoothly and you complete it well.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #1196
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Good luck Andy! It sounds like you've got it well in hand. I hope the rest of the installation goes smoothly and you complete it well.
Thanks, Tim. It's always an adventure. As I get older and fatter, it get harder to do the things I used to do.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #1197
Master Chef

Quote:
Thanks, Tim. It's always an adventure. As I get older and fatter, it get harder to do the things I used to do.

In a couple more years your grandson can do it and you can supervise.

For me plumbing was always tough until I found the Teflon tape.

Now I'm a master plumber!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #1198
Executive Chef

Quote:
Precisely what I was thinking as I tied my shoes this morning! "I never grunted like this when I was younger". I just tied them, jumped up and ran off!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #1199
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Precisely what I was thinking as I tied my shoes this morning! "I never grunted like this when I was younger". I just tied them, jumped up and ran off!

...jumping up and running off. Interesting concept. Not relevant.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #1200
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Cutting wires?

Good luck with your project.