What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lots to do today, as DH likes to say. I'm getting ready to go to the store and get a few last ingredients to make sauce for lasagna for DH's birthday Saturday. I also need to start a list of things to do before we leave for Michigan Wednesday. My MIL is in the hospital; she's been very sick for a few weeks now and had a stroke-type event while in the hospital. She was moved to the ICU and seemed to be getting better - they were planning to release her to rehab tomorrow - but then she had a setback yesterday. DH is teaching a professional development class Tuesday night, and doesn't feel that he can skip that, so we're going Wednesday.

His dad needs help, too. He had a stroke last year; he recovered well, but he's not eating well. We're going to do some major cooking while we're there - make freezer meals out of whatever ingredients they have (and whatever we need to buy) so he can just thaw and heat. I guess we'll also take the turkey I bought to make stock with. We'll roast it there and leave the leftovers for his dad. Not sure yet how long we'll be gone.

So sorry to hear all this bad news GG. Sounds like you will have your hands full. Your in-laws are so fortunate to have you for their daughter-in-law. I am sure you husband appreciates all your efforts on their behalf. :angel:

Hang in there, GG. Don't forget to take care of yourself while you're taking care of DH's dad and things around the inlaws' home. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. (Hug)

It is Sunday. Spike showed up and Pirate is here. Guess what is on my TV. And the Pats game hasn't even started yet. I think I have lost control of my television.

So I have been busy making the soup for my daughter and cleaning up the kitchen. How does it manage to get into such a mess. I try to clean as I go. But then I was in bed for two days recovering from my venture into downtown Boston on Thursday. That really took it ALL out of me. Two days to recover. :angel:

Thank you. DH just talked to my MIL's nurse. She is still not doing well - mostly sleeps and isn't lucid when she's awake - and my FIL is having a hard time dealing with it, so we are going up Tuesday instead (there's stuff we need to do tomorrow). Their 56th anniversary is also this Saturday. I feel so badly for him. For all of them :(

Thank you. DH just talked to my MIL's nurse. She is still not doing well - mostly sleeps and isn't lucid when she's awake - and my FIL is having a hard time dealing with it, so we are going up Tuesday instead (there's stuff we need to do tomorrow). Their 56th anniversary is also this Saturday. I feel so badly for him. For all of them :(

GG, may I ask, how is DH handling all this bad news? My heart goes out to him. It has to be really rough to have both parents in a bad way just around the holidays. Good luck and take our prayers with you. :angel:

Okay Andy. What a nail biter and a heart stopper. I think I must have had a few heart attacks during that game.

But I have to give it to the Giants. They MADE us earn that win. They definitely outplayed us. And Pirate keeps telling me, "Aren't you the one who doesn't like football?" I have been found out. :angel:

Last edited:
Watching football and so many good games. I hated to see the Giants lose but that's the breaks but chuffed the Broncos got spanked. Now waiting for the Seahawks and not holding my breath on them either.

Watched the Patriots - Giants game. That was a very competitive game that was resolved by a field goal with one second to play.

Pats are still undefeated @ 9-0.

GG, may I ask, how is DH handling all this bad news? My heart goes out to him. It has to be really rough to have both parents in a bad way just around the holidays. Good luck and take our prayers with you. :angel:

Addie, he's a rock - just wonderful. He's worried, of course, but he's doing fine. Thanks for asking.

And thanks, taxy and Kayelle. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
GG, sending thoughts and prayers to you for your trip to see MIL tomorrow. Be safe...and hoping for the best. (((hugs)))

Thank you to those of you who messaged me and asked about my birthday weekend getaway in Death Valley National Park. :)

It was an amazing weekend, and I'll always remember it. I didn't really know what to expect, so I just overpacked and went with the flow. Instead of staying in the overly spendy Furnace Creek Inn, my daughter rented a nice little rustic cabin for the two of us and the three grandkids (way more kid friendly and none of the silly dress codes) My son in law stayed in their travel trailer in the nearby campground with other family members who were in their travel trailers as well. I was happy to have a real bed. LOL

The first night we all met for dinner fireside at the family's campsite under the stars - my SIL put a candle in my meatloaf and all 20 in attendance there sang happy birthday. :ohmy::LOL: Then we went to the concert under the Milky Way to watch my SIL and his family sing and play their music. More concerts the next day, and a little exploring. We went for a covered wagon ride through the park, thanks to a very nice friend of my SIL's and two beautiful strong horses. The grands especially loved that, we all did.

We wanted to stop and have a nice filling afternoon lunch before our trip home but there are only 3 restaurants there, and 2 of them couldn't accommodate our party of 20. :ermm::LOL: The last one we stopped at was just closing to get ready for the dinner rush, but they opened up just for us and then locked the front door. :LOL: We had the whole place to ourselves with amazing personalized service and a lovely meal.

The drive home was interesting - we got stuck in the middle of an intense sandstorm on that long desolate desert highway and had to stop many times behind my SIL, who was pulling the travel trailer in front of us. Yikes. Couldn't see the road in front of us. Finally made it home safe and sound about 5 hours later than we expected to. I will never forget this past weekend - it was awesome.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading! LOL :LOL:

Last edited:
So glad it worked out for you, Cheryl, and it sure sounds, um, interesting! Welcome back! So happy that you had a phenomenal time with your daughter, SIL, and the grands!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom