What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My mother had a collection of salt and pepper shakers. I don't think it was from choice but 5 kids sometimes had a hard time having creative ideas for Mother's Day, Birthday, Christmas. So it boiled down to Salt and Peppers!

I remember one set in particular I gave her. Don't know what happeded to them, broken I suspect. A pair of Bluebirds hanging by their tails which curved up and over a branch either side of a trunk stand.

The only ones I have from her are a pair of Silver Partridge and a set of 4 pairs of tiny crystal s&p with silver caps. Unfortunately Salt and Silver don't particulary like each other... but I still like to use them.

Forgot the pic! 20220406_074844.jpg

We've been watching Major League Baseball for the majority of the day ... DH is in heaven.
I really didn't feel like cooking anything, so I went and got take out from our favorite Asian Bistro.
Pork Dumplings
Edamame
Miso Soup
Japanese style Salad
Three kinds of Sushi Rolls, 4 rolls in total
Teriyaki Salmon with all of the accompaniments :yum:
We shared all of the above and could not finish!
That's fine, love this stuff.
And they're not cheap anymore, they've raised their price to where we agreed that we'll only do this on the odd occasion, one saving grace is that they do give alot of food.

View attachment 51335

View attachment 51336

My Mom gave these to me, oh, probably pushing on 20 years ago now I'd bet.
In our last house in Southern Arizona, I had the farmhouse vibe kinda sorta.
It just kind of evolved over time with chickens, a basket of eggs, canisters of flour and sugar, a big red tin star, loads of baskets ... it was fun and inviting in our home, as it is here in Northern AZ.

And what was the first thing to sell?
:LOL:
And then the only other thing that I sold were the two bikes ... the rest of this stuff I put into the back of the car and drove it all off to the charity shop.

I've been having a very difficult time coming up with ideas for our evening meals.
I got away from writing out a menu list each week when we were quarantined back in January ... today I sat down and was bound and determined to do this.
I went through my blog posts, my Copy Me That account and of course my photos here at DC.
So far I have 8 dishes on my Menu Board.

I've been having a very difficult time coming up with ideas for our evening meals.
I got away from writing out a menu list each week when we were quarantined back in January ... today I sat down and was bound and determined to do this.
I went through my blog posts, my Copy Me That account and of course my photos here at DC.
So far I have 8 dishes on my Menu Board.

I'm with you K-Girl! The first time I saw the saying below, I thought, wow, how true is that!

“The hardest thing about being an adult is figuring out what to cook for dinner”

We're lucky, though. We could still be living like this. Thoughts?
https://www.rachellaudan.com/2014/09/a-good-cook.html
A few years ago someone asked me whether my mother was a good cook. I was at a loss to know what to say.

They should have asked years earlier. Then, at the height of my Elizabeth David gastro-snob period, I would have said absolutely not. How could she be? Mediterranean vegetables never entered her kitchen, stock was unheard of, little light delicate dishes were not part of her repertoire.

And as final proof I would have pointed to my mother’s own definition of a good cook. The good cook, she said, is the cook who has a hot meal on the table at the appointed time.

Just having food on the table on time? How crass, how unappreciative of a good cook’s taste, discrimination, and skill!

Many years on, and I am much more sympathetic to my mother’s definition. Cooking was her job and it was a relentless one. She had to have breakfast on the table at 9, dinner at 12:30 and tea, the last meal of the day, at 5.

And it goes on to describe what life on the farm was like for her. I can't imagine.

My mum told us about working in the kitchen on a farm one summer when she was a teenager. There were more than three meals a day for the farm hands. They got hot oatmeal and tea or coffee before they milked the cows, no milking machines back then. Then, when they came back in after milking the cows, it was time for a full farm breakfast. They needed a lot of calories to get all the work done. She said there were two lunches and then, finally supper at the end of the day. I think the two lunches were one hot lunch and one of open-faced sandwiches on heavy rye bread, but I'm not sure. She was not the only person peeling potatoes, cooking food, churning butter, and cleaning up.

I am in Florida with my husband! How... pleasant! I must remember not to say... gay! How... queer! It's a joke! It's very funny! My flight back to Idaho is at 10 AM tomorrow! It sucks!

Took me an hour to clean DIL's fridge. Only got the top done, shelves and drawers and an unexpected find of ice and water on the bottom self.

Course, that's why my son is going to work on it when he gets home.

Time for lunch and my back hurts.
Still have the bottom freezer drawer with sliding basket to go.

:rolleyes:and I guess I'll have to mop the floor from the spillage earlier. ;)

They emptied it! LOL for that I would never have volunteered. But they both work. Then to pick up the baby, get her supper and to repair, makes for a long day.

I'm wondering how I got so old! After very little gardening these past few years, I spent about three hours in the back yard garden that is above the stone wall the landscaper built with the collection of rocks he unearthed while regrading our back yard to improve drainage. Oh. My. Gawd. I can feel every joint, every muscle. Even my aches have aches. :LOL: But a goodly number of weeds and rogue wild roses have been removed and I can see the hostas and daylily plants that are there. :heart: I even managed to get Himself out there for about an hour to trim back some of the scruffy trees that encroach into the area that the lawn care guy avoids for fear of attack. Now we might get the grass cut all the way to the tree line.

Almost time to pour my wine, crawl up the steps, and read a bit before a shower and an ibuprofen. I'm tired, but it's a good kind of tired.

I'm wondering how I got so old! After very little gardening these past few years, I spent about three hours in the back yard garden that is above the stone wall the landscaper built with the collection of rocks he unearthed while regrading our back yard to improve drainage. Oh. My. Gawd. I can feel every joint, every muscle. Even my aches have aches. :LOL: But a goodly number of weeds and rogue wild roses have been removed and I can see the hostas and daylily plants that are there. :heart: I even managed to get Himself out there for about an hour to trim back some of the scruffy trees that encroach into the area that the lawn care guy avoids for fear of attack. Now we might get the grass cut all the way to the tree line.

Almost time to pour my wine, crawl up the steps, and read a bit before a shower and an ibuprofen. I'm tired, but it's a good kind of tired.

Sounds like a productive day! You've reminded me that my garden needs doing :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom