"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #3171
Sous Chef

Trying to get my house ready for the next renter. Landlord is coming to do the walk through tomorrow, so of course the laundry sink overflowed when I did a load of laundry, and I keep coming across things that need to be done that I had forgotten about. Grr. Plus cleaning up messes my bf (who already started his new job in a new city) left for me. I hate moving.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #3172
Executive Chef

i just heard that in addition to trader joe's and the fresh market, a wegman's will be opening up in our little university town. according to the newspaper article on this, i learned that wegman's only opens three new stores per year. so, lots to look forward to! they'll be competing with our existing whole foods store and foods of all nations already here. but i guess they've done their demographics research....still no costco for us, but i guess you can't have everything.... :)

oops, this was intended to go to the stray thoughts thread, sorry....

Old 05-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #3173
Chef Extraordinaire

For a while now, there seems to be a food war going on here in my part of the country. We just had a Wegman's open here with plans to open another. It is getting out of control when a grocery store is as big as one city block. Whole aisles are devoted to just one product. the store I go to has one aisle devoted to just drinks. Water and soda. I have yet to go in that aisle. And another is devoted to just one brand. Goya. Another aisle I skip along with the international aisle unless I am going to be making something that calls for a sauce that I don't normally keep on hand. You can always tell what is on sale. You can find it not only on end caps, but in special bins up front and placed several places throughout the store. And when a new product is being hyped, everything but the marching band is there telling you to buy it.

My store has three different shopping carts. The BIG ones, when full are almost impossible to push. No wonder I see more women bringing their husbands along for shopping. They also now have carts where you can seat three small kids right along with the groceries. Grocery shopping is no longer fun.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #3174
Everymom

I'm sitting here trying to figure out how I got this giant scratch down the back of my leg. Ouch.

I'm also contemplating whether or not ironing is required on the shirt I want to wear to work. I might be lazy and do the dryer - wet washcloth trick.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #3175
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Just finished planting two more containers of this year's summer vegetable garden. These last ones were one each of cucumbers and zucchini.

It's just too, too dry to plant a full-blown garden out back and our arthritis is more restrictive this year, so containers are our method of choice.

I still have some Italian green beans to plant but, so far, everything else is going gangbusters. There are already blooms on the green and orange bell pepper plants and I noticed some on some of the Roma tomato plants this morning. Yeah!!!!

I'm really looking forward to having enough tomatoes to put some by. There are a total of 4 Roma plants, which should be enough to yield enough for canning a few jars. The pantry's getting low and I'd love to be able to replenish the slim supply if possible.

Everything seems to be doing so well that we might continue this form of gardening in the future. Jury's still out, though.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #3176
Chef Extraordinaire

spent a lot of time on the phone. re a ride to the doctor, making dr. appointment. called books by mail and placed an order. called in refills for meds. now just have to call ride back and tell him what time. right now taking a break, then clean up kitchen, change sheets on bed. and clean up cat water and food area. now if all that isn't boring then i don't know what is.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #3177
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Just finished planting two more containers of this year's summer vegetable garden. These last ones were one each of cucumbers and zucchini.

Everything seems to be doing so well that we might continue this form of gardening in the future. Jury's still out, though.
Kate here in the city, gardening space is at a minimum. Row on row of triple deckers with very small plots for backyards leaves very little room to plant a garden. So a most popular way here is container gardening. Restaurants at the beginning of planting season save all of their five gallon containers that pickles, and other food items come in, then sell them to the highest bidder. Five tomato plants placed around the perimeter of those buckets can yield a good amount of produce. Vine growing plants are the most popular. Tomatoes, cukes, pole beans, etc. It is this way that the three families living in one building can grow their own garden and still have room for sitting out and enjoying the yard. And a safe place for the children to play. A bonus is that during this drought, any water goes directly to the plants. The down size is that it does take a lot of dirt. Most of the folks here put rocks in the bottom to not only to require less dirt, but to hold the buckets down in a high wind. Also container gardening lets you move the plants out of harms way if a storm comes your way. Glad you found a way to enjoy your summer.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #3178
Executive Chef

Just got home from work and I'm trying to decide what to do.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #3179
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I cleaned out the top shelf of the pantry. I can only reach it standing on a chair so anything up there gets forgotten about.

I found more than 10 lbs of confectioners chocolate, mostly milk, some dark and some white. I have no idea what to do with it.

I don't know what to put up there. Right now it's less than half full of drink mixers, liqueurs, wine, and whiskey and spiced something. I put the cooking wine-burgundy near the front for when I cook with it. What can I put up there? What do you put on that shelf that is too high to reach without a chair?
I put my paper towels (buy them by the case at Costco) They are light enough to pick off the top shelf with a grabber stick and don't hurt when they hit me on the head.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:06 PM   #3180
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

I put my paper towels (buy them by the case at Costco) They are light enough to pick off the top shelf with a grabber stick and don't hurt when they hit me on the head.
Sigh. Costco.

Soon.