What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We're still carrying a Motorola W755 that we purchased in June 2009. We felt compelled to buy one because pay phones have gone the way of the dinosaur. Over the course of the past 3.75 years, our annualized cost has amounted to less than $150. Since we only carry it for emergencies and our carrier wanted us to supply a social security number for most all of their plans, I opted for the prepaid option and currently have a credit balance of over $350. I do not look forward to having to buy a new battery. Thinking about those with Obamaphones is enough to give me knots in my shorts.
I hadn't heard about the "Obamaphone", so I googled it. There is really no such thing. You might as well call it a "Reagnphone" because the program that allows poor people to have subsidized phones started under Reagan.

I hadn't heard about the "Obamaphone", so I googled it. There is really no such thing. You might as well call it a "Reagnphone" because the program that allows poor people to have subsidized phones started under Reagan.
Back in the 1980's our phone bill ran under $12 per month.
To boot there was NO phone in our household prior to 1958.

Last edited:
I would have thought the people were from Pittsburgh... that whole "you-ins" thing.
Ah, you-ins, stop following so close.

It's not actually called the Obamaphone. That is a nickname because of the large number of people who are now on food stamps, welfare and Medicaid under this administration, and can qualify for the government funded phones. The free phones given out by the government are funded by the "universal service fund" on our phone bills. You can usually find it on the second page of your bill. The first telephone tax was passed in 1898 to fund the Spanish American War. It stayed on the books in some form until 2006! The Lifeline program ( the free phones) was spearheaded by President Wilson iN 1913. It was expanded by FDR in 1934. It was modernized by President Clinton in 1996.
The cost to those paying their phone bill has increased significantly since 2008 which may be another reason for the nickname. You are right, they are not actually called obamaphones. :wacko: but...it didn't start with Reagan.

Last edited:
It's not actually called the Obamaphone. That is a nickname because of the large number of people who are now on food stamps, welfare and Medicaid under this administration, and can qualify for the government funded phones. The free phones given out by the government are funded by the "universal service fund" on our phone bills. You can usually find it on the second page of your bill. The first telephone tax was passed in 1898 to fund the Spanish American War. It stayed on the books in some form until 2006! The Lifeline program ( the free phones) was spearheaded by President Wilson iN 1913. It was expanded by FDR in 1934. It was modernized by President Clinton in 1996.
The cost to those paying their phone bill has increased significantly since 2008 which may be another reason for the nickname. You are right, they are not actually called obamaphones. :wacko: but...it didn't start with Reagan.
Thanks for all the info. I read that there had been something in 1934 to try to give universal access to phones. I didn't realize it went back as far as Wilson in 1913! I got the impression, from my reading, that the current Lifeline program started in the Reagan years.

I have several boxes of books to take to the used bookstore...but I can do that tomorrow. Laundry needs done, but I have a few days to consider it. I think today will be a bum day...

Laundry, cleaning, and watching the weather from inside. Blizzard conditions; blowing and snowing. :ermm: I like snow, but not like this, and I think I am ready for spring. :rolleyes:

Paid some of Mom's bills. Hard to get used to writing checks and using stamps, I pay all mine electronically. Was going to start some laundry, when I opened the washer lid, there was a white pillowcase and a white rug soaking in the washer. Upon inspection, they were covered in purpley- red stains. I sprayed the case with Wine-Away, which ALWAYS gets out red wine stains, but the stains didn't budge. When I questioned DH, he denied spilling anything and had been wondering where his pillowcase went. Only thing we can figure is the cleaning lady spilled some type of red liquid (apparently not wine) and tried to soak it out. I've got the case soaking in Oxyclean, but I'm afraid it's a lost cause.

Paid some of Mom's bills. Hard to get used to writing checks and using stamps, I pay all mine electronically. Was going to start some laundry, when I opened the washer lid, there was a white pillowcase and a white rug soaking in the washer. Upon inspection, they were covered in purpley- red stains. I sprayed the case with Wine-Away, which ALWAYS gets out red wine stains, but the stains didn't budge. When I questioned DH, he denied spilling anything and had been wondering where his pillowcase went. Only thing we can figure is the cleaning lady spilled some type of red liquid (apparently not wine) and tried to soak it out. I've got the case soaking in Oxyclean, but I'm afraid it's a lost cause.

And then she forgot it...:LOL:

And then she forgot it...:LOL:

Yes. She forgets stuff in the strangest places. It's like a treasure hunt, I find vacuum cleaner parts, rolls of paper towels, spray bottles, dusters, remotes, etc, all far away from where they should be! Sweetest lady, but a mite distractable.

Last edited:
There's also Rit or Tintex colour remover. If that doesn't work, you could dye it red. :rolleyes:

There's also Rit or Tintex colour remover. If that doesn't work, you could dye it red. :rolleyes:

Oh, I have a packet of Rit color remover! Thanks for the reminder, Taxy! I'd thought of practicing my tie-dying too.

Very interesting, Chopper.

Oh, I have a packet of Rit color remover! Thanks for the reminder, Taxy! I'd thought of practicing my tie-dying too.

Well hush my mouth. Oxyclean to the rescue! It took the stains out of the case! Soaking the rug in it now.

Dishes--for the 5th time today. I started the day by cleaning both fridges, pickled 3 doz eggs, and then tackled the sauce for tonight's lasagne, the bread, the mushroom appy, a batch of chicken soup, made homemade laundry soap, and am finally taking a little break while the bread rises and the noodle dough rests. Busy day in the kitchen. Oh, and 2 loads of laundry. I'm pooped.

Back
Top Bottom