What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thats alright Addie, I'm sure we are going to learn a lot of new words of each other.:)

Oh Americans have some real beauts for slang. Does your bro come from the same hood?

Translation:
Does your friend live in the same neighborhood? :angel:

Addie,the word Bro gets used here a lot I find by the Kiwi's or New Zealanders. Its not a word I tend to use though.

Steve and I have just been out for a lovely walk in the sunshine :)

We walked for about 40 minutes, all around the lake, such a lovely area and we fed the ducks too :)

Oh Americans have some real beauts for slang. Does your bro come from the same hood?

Translation:
Does your friend live in the same neighborhood? :angel:

We have loads of slang :LOL:

Chommie- Buddy
Howzit- How are you?
Tappid- idiot
Cherry- Girlfriend
Stukkie- Low class girlfriend
Chow- Food or goodbye
Cheers- Goodbye or well cheers to whatever.
Bindt- Girlfriend (not a compliment)
Valley- Neighborhood
Smaak- Like or taste of food

And many more :LOL:

Out of all of them, we only have cheers here

Most of our slang is a mix between English and Afrikaans. Most people speak both languages here. Luckily I understand them since Afrikaans is my frist language.
I know most Ausie slang too, I have a friend that was born in Australia.
I've learned most British and American slang too. I picked up a lot from clients when I was a Stock Broker.

We have loads of slang :LOL:

Chommie- Buddy
Howzit- How are you?
Tappid- idiot
Cherry- Girlfriend
Stukkie- Low class girlfriend
Chow- Food or goodbye
Cheers- Goodbye or well cheers to whatever.
Bindt- Girlfriend (not a compliment)
Valley- Neighborhood
Smaak- Like or taste of food

And many more :LOL:

We don't have the Howzit but the Howzat is used in the cricket I watch when its on. Cherry there is another meaning for that here but it aint girlfriend;)

Sometimes I have heard the word Chow being used for food but for goodbye its Ciao,which is an Italian greeting. Certainly you have lots of interesting words there though Snips :)

Oh,and Cheers Im using all the time.

I have just managed to clean out my shed and soon will be selling off some of the excess crap I have collected. Now though I must get on with printing out some pamphlets for work & answering numerous emails.

Do love popping in here in between my daily chores :yum:

Winding up to head to bed. Shopping day tomorrow. Out looking for the rest of Thanksgiving dinner. I'm also down to two days off this week because of the holiday and the boss is on vacation. I'll already be behind when I get to work on Monday, found an assessment that had been missed on the 14th.

We don't have the Howzit but the Howzat is used in the cricket I watch when its on. Cherry there is another meaning for that here but it aint girlfriend;)

Sometimes I have heard the word Chow being used for food but for goodbye its Ciao,which is an Italian greeting. Certainly you have lots of interesting words there though Snips :)

Oh,and Cheers Im using all the time.

I have just managed to clean out my shed and soon will be selling off some of the excess crap I have collected. Now though I must get on with printing out some pamphlets for work & answering numerous emails.

Ciao and chow are pronounced the same so I left it that way. I do live in Tappid Valley so most people spell ciao "chow"
Sure you can figure out what Tappid Valley means from what I taught you :LOL:

Cheers :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Winding up to head to bed. Shopping day tomorrow. Out looking for the rest of Thanksgiving dinner. I'm also down to two days off this week because of the holiday and the boss is on vacation. I'll already be behind when I get to work on Monday, found an assessment that had been missed on the 14th.

Fiona, not good that you have to work more due to the boss being away...hope you still manage to get enough rest, you sound very busy indeed!

Most of our slang is a mix between English and Afrikaans. Most people speak both languages here. Luckily I understand them since Afrikaans is my frist language.
I know most Ausie slang too, I have a friend that was born in Australia.
I've learned most British and American slang too. I picked up a lot from clients when I was a Stock Broker.

I love the English slang :)

Fiona, not good that you have to work more due to the boss being away...hope you still manage to get enough rest, you sound very busy indeed!

Since I am the only other person who knows how to do her job...truthfully, things may be hectic but they run smoother when she is gone.:rolleyes::LOL:

:LOL:

You have been doing this job for a very long time now havent you Fi

I can well imagine things running smoothly with you at the helm ;)

:LOL:

You have been doing this job for a very long time now havent you Fi

I can well imagine things running smoothly with you at the helm ;)

Thanks!

Over two years for this job, before this I worked the floor for 11 years on the night shift. So I have worked for this facility for thirteen years, I know all the secrets.

Wow, that sure is a long time, you have had your long service leave havent you?

I bey you know everything that there is to know he he ;)

Wow, that sure is a long time, you have had your long service leave havent you?

I bey you know everything that there is to know he he ;)

I get 4 weeks a year for vacation. And I know too much, I would never want to run the place. Besides, I love working with my patients, they are the whole reason I ever became a nurse to begin with.

The only thing that would be better is to run a hospice.

I think it is wonderful, people like you, where would we be without our nurses, you all do the most amazing job and work so hard :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom