What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sitting here this morning waiting for the phone to ring. My little Cheyenne (15 mo. old GD) is having surgery right now for her crossed eyes. My stomach is in knots thinking of her under general anesthesia. I don't dare go take a shower, so here I sit waiting for the phone to ring. I better get busy with something near the phone.

I can just imagine how you must feel, Kay. I'd be on pins and needles if one of my grands was having surgery and nothing would help until I got that phone call saying everything is OK. :heart: It will come, and Cheyenne will be just fine. Btw, I love her name! :)

I'll be thinking of you and the little one, and sending healing thoughts for a speedy recovery for her. Hang in there! :)

Last edited:
Getting ready to go for a walk in the desert. Since we had so much rain recently, I'm hoping to see some wildflowers. The desert floor is so green right now, it's amazing.

Getting ready to go for a walk in the desert. Since we had so much rain recently, I'm hoping to see some wildflowers. The desert floor is so green right now, it's amazing.
Sounds lovely. Wouldn't mind seeing a photo of that should you be thinking of taking your camera. ;)

..waiting for the phone to ring. My little Cheyenne (15 mo. old GD) is having surgery right now for her crossed eyes. My stomach is in knots thinking of her under general anesthesia....
Take a deep breath, Kayelle. :flowers: Better? I'll keep Cheyenne, you, and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Be sure to let us know how it goes, OK?

...Now, can anyone tell me what a "rampart" is?
Now that Addie told you what it is, I think your need a road trip. :LOL: Actually, if you ever have to go to the DC area, try to make time to take a trip to Fort McHenry. Himself is a big history buff; we've seen more battlefields and forts... Anyway, when we stopped there we were on our way back from FL in late fall. It was a cool, damp day, and the only other person there was a bagpiper, walking the rampart and playing Taps. When he was done, I stood facing out and softly sang our National Anthem. Got a tear in my eye. It was special.

Phew!! Thanks for the good wishes, and she's recovering nicely. My son (1st time Dad at age 42) said it was hard to see her like that and I reminded him it's all a part of a love he's never known before. Thank you Lord.

Well, the Sous Chef and I have finished packing up the entire kitchen, as the workers will be here tomorrow to reface the existing cabinets and use new doors and drawers. It will take three days but it should be beautiful with the new appliances we bought a few weeks ago. It's so true that everything leads to something else. :wacko:

Wish I could take that lovely walk with you Cheryl! Hope we'll see some pictures.

Phew!! Thanks for the good wishes, and she's recovering nicely. My son (1st time Dad at age 42) said it was hard to see her like that and I reminded him it's all a part of a love he's never known before. Thank you Lord.

Well, the Sous Chef and I have finished packing up the entire kitchen, as the workers will be here tomorrow to reface the existing cabinets and use new doors and drawers. It will take three days but it should be beautiful with the new appliances we bought a few weeks ago. It's so true that everything leads to something else. :wacko:

Wish I could take that lovely walk with you Cheryl! Hope we'll see some pictures.

So glad to hear Cheyenne's recovering well! What a relief for everyone. My son-in-law became a father for the first time at 42 also - at 48 now he has 3 boys ages 5, 4, and 2. He's done :LOL:, but having the time of his life with those little guys. He's older than my daughter by about 11 years. They're having so much fun with the littles. :)

Have fun with your kitchen remodel! Wish I could do that, I have so many ideas.

I'll go through my pics of recent desert walks and put some up in random photos later today or tomorrow. :)

Last edited:
So glad Cheyenne is fine! And have fun with the remodel tomorrow, Kay!

Cheryl, would love to see those pics!

My brother became a father for the first time in his early 40's too. He had his second, a son at 46, and you couldn't ask for a better daddy.

Last edited:
Now that Addie told you what it is, I think your need a road trip. :LOL: Actually, if you ever have to go to the DC area, try to make time to take a trip to Fort McHenry. Himself is a big history buff; we've seen more battlefields and forts... Anyway, when we stopped there we were on our way back from FL in late fall. It was a cool, damp day, and the only other person there was a bagpiper, walking the rampart and playing Taps. When he was done, I stood facing out and softly sang our National Anthem. Got a tear in my eye. It was special.

There is something special about going to an old fort and learning the history. At the George's Island Fort, you can see the bakery with the oven, and almost smell the bread coming out of it. There is a stone where a cannon ball landed on a stone at the entrance to one of the rooms. It was during the Civil War. There are slits for windows where the prisoners slept and lived. I hate the thought of German prisoners being kept there during WWII. I feel like their presence contaminated the whole place. The fort even has two ghosts that show up every so often. One is a woman in black. She was executed for trying to help a prisoner escape. She asked for a black shroud be placed over her when she was executed. The other was a southern soldier that committed suicide.

I can understand having a tear in your eye. Our Anthem can do that to you. Another one that I love is Oh Canada. I think it is a beautiful piece of music. Both of them have words that have a very strong meaning. :angel:

It is the top of a wall in a military base where they shoot cannons and other large firearms from. Usually a wall surrounding the base. It is mainly a defensive wall for protecting those inside. There is usually a walkway at the top with cutouts for the armaments. Soldiers walk across the top and keep an eye out for invaders.

Georges Island (Massachusetts) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :angel:

Thank you, Addie! That is a question my husband asks me every time he hears the Star Spangled Banner.

I love Oh Canada also. They are our closest and dearest neighbors, after all.

Last edited:
Cooking Goddess, we live very near to Fort Necessity, but neither of us have ever been there. It's a shame.

Kayelle, I'm glad to hear that Cheyenne is doing well! My son was a first-time dad at 43. He had a child and heart surgery the same year!

Well I was going to repot my hanging baskets but that turned into a more demanding/creative project. On turning out the soil (to mix it with water gel), the outer casing of the basket disintegrated with age. All I was left with was a wire frame effectively (the inner coating of plastic needed replacing too). I was going to ditch it when I remembered I had some nice floral fabric (old shirt) in the shed.

So I set to creating new hanging basket covers and insides! Found some sturdy plastic to line the inside with and am now covering the outside with the fabric. Of course the fabric won't last forever but it will do for now. I wanted to see what it would look like first (just pinned) and am pleased with the result. :)

Last edited:
Cooking Goddess, we live very near to Fort Necessity, but neither of us have ever been there. It's a shame.

Make it a point to go there this year come springtime. Tell yourselves that it is the start of this years vacation. Then when you are walking around, you can be planning where you want to go for the rest of your vacation.

We also have a Fort in South Boston at Castle Island. I haven't been to that one. You can only see it during a guided tour in the Spring and Summer. I don't know what the times are for the tours. :angel:

Make it a point to go there this year come springtime. Tell yourselves that it is the start of this years vacation. Then when you are walking around, you can be planning where you want to go for the rest of your vacation.

And take a picnic basket of goodies! DH and I love to visit historical sites and enjoy a nice meal. There's usually a park and/or picnic tables nearby.

I'm off to the theatre in Manchester tonight to see "Top Hat". It got rave reviews when it was on in London and the clips on U Tube look very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZNq88yGY90

I wonder if the shades of Fred and Ginger will be in the audience with us.

Oh how I envy you. In May my daughter is taking me to see the stage show "In The Mood". Music of the 40's big bands. I love the old black and white movies. Specially musicals. I am sure Top Hat will arrive on this side of the big pond soon. All your good ones do. :angel:

Spending the day in the kitchen playing with seasonal side ideas using asparagus, spinach, birch syrup, dark chocolate balsamic vinegar, root veggies. (Several different ideas for which I've drafted recipes--just need to take what I "taste" in my mind to the stovetop/oven). Also making a roasted mushroom soup. Time to get the prep work done so I can get these sides all done before dark.

We've been treated :rolleyes: to ice and snow since Sunday night and it's quite cold for our region this time of the year. Even though it was sunny when we got up it was still only 11F. Not much above that right now and the cold is supposed to stick with us for at least another week, with more ice and snow added to make it interesting. Schools have been closed since Friday and most won't open until Monday, if then.

I always keep filled bird feeders out and, now, have put suet cakes out to give my feathered friends more fuel. As a result, I have put the last cake out and just finished making more suet to cut into 4 cakes. Might even make up another batch since it's supposed to stay so cold for as long as we're told.

Bella has definitely enjoyed watching "Birdie TV" and is especially pleased that we've upgraded by adding the "suet" channel. She even submitted a requisition this morning for a wider windowsill so she could watch her programs more comfortably.:LOL:

In the meantime, Woodstock has been busy with his Zamboni on the pool cover, which means I need to get outside and scrape off some of the snow and ice that are pushing it down.

Guess it's time to suit up and go outside.

Last edited:
We've been treated :rolleyes: to ice and snow since Sunday night and it's quite cold for our region this time of the year. Even though it was sunny when we got up it was still only 11F. Not much above that right now and the cold is supposed to stick with us for at least another week, with more ice and snow added to make it interesting. Schools have been closed since Friday and most won't open until Monday, if then.
I always keep fulled bird feeders out and, now, have put suet cakes out to give my feathered friends more fuel. As a result, I have put the last cake out and just finished making more suet to cut into 4 cakes. Might even make up another batch since it's supposed to stay so cold for as long as we're told.

Bella has definitely enjoyed watching "Birdie TV" and is especially pleased that we've upgraded by adding the "suet" channel. She even submitted a requisition this morning for a wider windowsill so she could watch her programs more comfortably.:LOL:

In the meantime, Woodstock has been busy with his Zamboni on the pool cover, which means I need to get outside and scrape off some of the snow and ice that are pushing it down.

Guess it's time to suit up and go outside.

Welcome to my world. More snow coming our way. I haven't been out of this house for more that two weeks.

Any chance of getting the emoticons as snowmen? Or snow women. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom