"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 08-09-2006, 04:39 AM   #21
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
I had a look in my butcher's window this morning... Aberdeen Angus fillet steak is on 'sale' (!) for 21 GB pounds per kilo.
That's $18/# which is pretty much what anything decent retail is over here. At least in the UK you're buying 100% tenderloin and they at least have the decency to sell the tail separately for a lot less than the good stuff. I hate the way they sell it retail here. I don't think the retail meat cutters have ever seen a whole tenderloin, they just get the end bits that don't go to restaurants and then proceed to just make steaks out of them so you get the chain and everything in your 'filet mignon'.

What really angers me is they ramped the price up here about 3 years ago because of some mad Canadian cow or something and as always, it just stayed where it was when it all cleared and kept going up.

Many fond memories of the days when the UK govt banned the sale of bone in beef and my butcher slipped me bone in prime rib at the back door when it got dark for our Sunday dinner at home.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:44 AM   #22
Executive Chef

according to today's exchange rates that 40 dollars plus a few cents. which is approx 20 dollars per (imperial) pound, if we were still allowed to use lb! I thought the prices of US/Canadian beef were way lower than ours?

Old 08-09-2006, 10:19 AM   #23
Everymom

I've been quiet til now, but I am going to weigh in with the Alberta Beef lovers. I am from Alberta and have grown accustomed to the quality of beef I get (from the grocery store, the butcher, buying straight from the farmer or off the back of a truck) and when I travel I rarely order beef having had it come looking and tasting like shoe leather. I've traveled widely all over N. America and into Europe and have yet to find tastier beef. (I will admit Kobe is priced insanely and so I have not tried it.)

Ishbel, I admit, I have not had your Aberdeen beef, having not had the pleasure yet of travelling to the British Isles. I will make sure I do try it when I get there though.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:47 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Alix: The more I read about the relative merits of various meats - Scotch beef vs Texan or Canadian - or Welsh lamb vs Scottish lamb... the more I am sure that meat, well raised and butchered tastes best when it is the local produce. So, perhaps the wonderful Texan beef or even, dare I say it, Alberta beef would be just run of the mill here, and so would Aberdeen Angus if it was shipped to the US or Canada!

Although, I have to say, some of the best beef I've ever eaten was on Cyprus.. when I raved about the beef to the chef, he told me it was 'chilled' (not frozen) beef, directly from Northern Ireland!
Old 08-09-2006, 11:37 AM   #25
Master Chef

I lived in Texas for a while, and had some wonderful Texas Beef while I was there. A lot of restaurants in this area get Kansas City beef, which is awfully good, and one of the best steaks I've ever eaten was at Mr. Bennie's in Chicago.
A lot of cattle are grown around here...Black Angus and Charlais, mainly.

But stay away from "limousine beef", whatever that is. My FIL used to buy us a half a beef every year when the kids were little, and he bought the limosine beef a couple of times. It was tough as shoe leather.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:02 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
according to today's exchange rates that 40 dollars plus a few cents. which is approx 20 dollars per (imperial) pound, if we were still allowed to use lb! I thought the prices of US/Canadian beef were way lower than ours?
Ishbel, for american kobe beef tenderloin, i pay over 30 dollars a pound
Old 08-09-2006, 01:17 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Alix - didn't you send me an e-mail one time referencing Alberta beef?

I envy all of you living in/around/near places with superior beef. This is one conversation I truly know nothing about. I did have a Kobe burger one time - it wasn't that good, but I do like my burgers on the rare-ish side and this was done about 30 minutes before they took it off the grill - I'm sure that had a lot to do with it.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:47 PM   #28
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
Alix - didn't you send me an e-mail one time referencing Alberta beef?
I just got some more Alberta Beef pix...want I should share? Good to see you here my friend, I've been missing you!
Old 08-09-2006, 10:36 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
A good steak can always be a big wow. Just don't mess up good beef with a marinade.
Tell it, sister! Halleluiah!

Good meat needs nothing but a a rub of olive oil, a touch of salt and freshly ground black pepper before tossing it on the fire.

Marinades are for tough or flavorless cuts, IMHO.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:53 AM   #30
Head Chef

I cook my kobe filets by rubbing them with sea salt, tons of coarse cracked pepper, and olive oil. i then sear them in a steel skillet for 2 minutes a side and throw them in a 450 degree oven for 6-7 minutes for a nice pinkness all the way through. i top them with some garlic butter that i have sauteed for a while, with finely minced garlic