"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 01-01-2009, 05:21 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Location: USA - Chicago, Illinois ~ On a windy day, I can almost get a frisbee to Midway Airport.
Omaha Steak Company...

Can someone please post up a review? I've been given $90 in Omaha Steak gift cards for Christmas and I would like to hear from those of you who have used this company's products before I make a purchase.

To be honest, I find their lack of meat grading a little weird. I can't find the words "Prime" or "Choice" or "Certified Angus Beef" anywhere in any of their pamphlets or web pages I have looked on. They definitely have USDA Prime prices, but nothing is labeled or sold as such. This leads me to believe they they are NOT prime.

I'm not wealthy. I don't buy Prime meat often. But when I do, I savor every little morsel. I exclusively shopped at a Chicago based meat packing company for my prime meat purchases. I never had a need to look elsewhere. However, this past Christmas I had a bad experience with them. I bought 6 Prime rib eyes (4 steakhouse cut and 2 dry-aged) for my best friend. They sent me the 4 steakhouse and substituted the 2 dry-aged steaks for something else without my permission or knowledge. Though the substituted product is more expensive then what I ordered, it is a cut of meat that we both are not fans of. Beef ribs. Unacceptable in my book.

Long story short, they are ignoring my calls and emails regarding the situation. If I do not hear from them soon, that last purchase will have been the last time I do business with them. I might be in need of a new prime steak company. Is Omaha for me or is it some kind of processed meat?

Thanks for any and all replies.

Happy New Year everyone! Go Blackhawks!!!

RJ

Old 01-01-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
Executive Chef

There's some information on this site, just search for Omaha steaks.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:03 AM   #3
Head Chef

We received Omaha Steaks for a Christmas gift...2 NY Strips and 2 Fillet Mignon...as well as a gourmet dessert. We grilled the strip steaks a couple nights ago, and found them to be excellent in flavor and tenderness. Not sure what the grading was, just know they were darn tasty.

Oh, and don't give up on your local butcher quite yet. He made an error on judgment, and torturing him is not going to get you anywhere other than looking for another butcher. I sense more than a little anger in your writing, and if you communicated with me that way, I'd probably ignore you as well. Nobody is perfect, and if this is the only time he's not delivered as expected, then you should cut him a little slack. Unless, of course, you have never done anything less than perfect yourself, in which case you are entitled to a certain amount of self-righteous indignation. It's only a piece of meat...
Old 01-01-2009, 08:48 AM   #4
Sous Chef

If it's not labeled prime, then I highly doubt it's prime...
Old 01-01-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
Senior Cook

The steaks are very tasty. I think you'll enjoy them.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
Head Chef

Honestly, I'm not much of a fan of Omaha Steaks. If I had a gift card I would use it but I wouldn't go to their store and buy steaks or anything else. The filets are OK, not the best I've ever had and their burgers are not exciting at all. I'm not sure but I think they might inject them with something - I've had better.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:42 AM   #7
Executive Chef

We have tried Omaha several times and don't think their steaks are worth the money. For example the thickness of many of their cuts is pretty scanty. Best thing from our experiences with them has been the variety of styrofoam coolers we use during summertime shopping trips.
Sounds like you're being a bit harsh about your Chicago based packer; I'd be interested in giving them a try and don't anticipate making any additional purchases from Omaha.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:29 AM   #8
Master Chef

I hate to say it, but I'm with JPB on this one. I use to purchase this stuff and to me it is junk. I'm very picky about my meats and Omaha is one place I would rather avoid. I too find the cuts wimpy and thin... the quality to me is lower than what you would get at a grocery store.

I order my meats from a local farmer that delivers right to my house. Since I have tried their meats, I have not looked back.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
I hate to say it, but I'm with JPB on this one. I use to purchase this stuff and to me it is junk. I'm very picky about my meats and Omaha is one place I would rather avoid. I too find the cuts wimpy and thin... the quality to me is lower than what you would get at a grocery store.

I order my meats from a local farmer that delivers right to my house. Since I have tried their meats, I have not looked back.

Sorry to hear, Satie, that you hate to agree with me
Seriously, Whimpy (the hamburger eating cartoon character) would likely be insulted if he were mentioned in the same breath as Omaha Steaks.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
Head Chef

In the 1970s, when I was a child, Omaha Steaks had a great reputation and my dad use to buy them so we could grill in the summer.

Since then, I have heard that their quality is not the same from my deceased catering friend, Andy. As I trust his judgment, I have not purchased them.

I have had aged choice meet from Fresh Market and it, too, was very tender and not strong tasting like some aged meet can be.

Prime is best because all the marbling makes the meat tender. If you shop, that is what you should look for, meat that is well marbled. My grandfather use to own a famous local steakhouse back in the day and he use to fabricate his own steaks. So, it was something that I was taught early on.

Tags
None