"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 12-01-2004, 09:44 PM   #1
Executive Chef

CORRECTION Walmart is all good with The Salvation Army

I apologize for incorrect information. Walmart is doing a great job with The Salvation Army. It's the Target chain that are the Grinch!

Old 12-01-2004, 09:50 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
that's cool. i don't care for target much anyway

Old 12-01-2004, 09:51 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CookinBlondie Send a message via MSN to CookinBlondie Send a message via Yahoo to CookinBlondie
Sorry, did I miss something? What are you talking about? *begs to DC* ENLIGHTEN ME! :o

CookinBlondie*
Old 12-01-2004, 10:19 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Nothing to worry about! I was railing against Walmart for not letting The Salvation Army to collect funds but I misread a newspiece! Whoops! I was wrong. :oops:
Old 12-02-2004, 01:58 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Now for the rest of the story.

Do you know why Target decided to stop the bell ringers? For a very simple reason. If they allow one organization to solicite donations, they will have to allow all who ask. So, to be fair to everybody, they stopped all solicitation.

Before you harp on Target, look at it from their point of view. Would it be worth it to end up in court when you refuse to allow a group of wiccan worshipers permission to solicit at your stores? Would your customers appreciate being solicited year round by various other religious or otherwise groups?

Personally, I find the bell ringers annoying. If I want to give to any charity, I'll give it in private and I'll write a check so I can claim it as a deduction.

Finally, did you know that many of these bell ringers are actually paid to ring those bells?
Old 12-02-2004, 02:04 AM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Seems logical. Except that Walmart is allowing it and they arent getting sued by anyone. I feel that any company has a right to refuse an organization for any reason. So, I think Target is saying that so make it all sound better. I wont be buying anything from them anymore for that reason. But I do have to say those bells are VERY annoying. :?
Old 12-02-2004, 05:12 AM   #7
Head Chef

The Salvation Army is a good organization and deserves our support. Having said that, it is very annoying to send a check, and then receive multiple requests for donations all year. This same thing happens with many organizations we have donated to. For instance a friend had a grandson with leukemia ( he died at age 5) and we made a donation to the hospital where he received treatment in his memory. We are still getting solicitations after 3 years.

Some of the local supermarkets have someone right outside their doors at least once a month. All worthy causes, Girl Scouts, Vets, school groups, you name it. I can tell you that I get tired of walking past them to go shopping.

We give as much as we can to various organizations of our choosing, and I dislike feeling guilty when I have to refuse .
Old 12-02-2004, 07:11 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Actually, Walmart is limiting the bell ringing. At least some of them are. Don't know if it's a corporate decision, but I understand they're limiting the bell ringing to 14 hours total.

Seems to be right because I don't ever remember seeing the bell ringers at the Walmart I shop at.

This is going to be the trend. Fewer and fewer places will allow bell ringing and fund raising on their property because of the fact that if you let one do it, you'll have to let everyone do it too. How would you like it if there was some kind of Neo Nazi group fund raising outside your favorite supermarket?

If you boycott places like Target, you'll eventually have to boycott all other places too. Unless your church owns a supermarket, you're going to have a problem with purchasing food.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:52 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Thankfully, I live in a small town and it would be HIGHLY unlikely that the Kroger here would ban the bell ringers. I go to Kroger everyday and drop my pocket change in the bucket everyday. Doesn't bother me and doesn't seem to bother anyone else either. Of course, it's a different situation here, everyone knows one another and if I didn't drop the change in the bucket, well, it's deer season and someone might "miss their target" while I'm outside smoking!
Old 12-02-2004, 02:43 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

i don't mind the bell ringers this time of year. if i have change in my hand or pocket when leaving the store, they get it. the thing that really annoys me is when they ask you for donations at the registers at supermarkets and pet food stores. i go to them so often that i give a few bucks the first few times they ask. but when i say no to donating another dollar for whatever charity they are pushing because i have already given a few bucks earlier that week, the kid just makes a dirty face and you can feel the disapproving stares of the other customers on the back of your neck. it feels like a shakedown since your wallet is already open, and only scrooge would turn down giving a dollar to save some poor kid or animal...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.