2020 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This was my attempt at Kaiser Rolls

View attachment 38903
Those look lovely. I used to make Kaiser Rolls a lot...I loved shaping them. I almost bought the tool to do that, but liked doing it by hand.

I didn't finish the cinnamon-raisin bagels. Went to drop stuff at the consignment auctioneer place--car died and I couldn't clear the security warning--luckily, a couple of guys pushed it onto the shoulder and one guy called his wife to drive me back to my Dad's. What a hassle, we got the car back, but don't know if it will get Dad back from town tomorrow. Then a friend contacted me and let me know she has had to make the decision to take her husband off life support, another friend's son who is in end stage cancer is, well, not doing well...the countdown has begun. So I didn't feel like baking. What started as a good day, turned out to be a really crappy day.

I assume since the dough is in the fridge, I can finish the bagels in the morning.

Last edited:
Had intended to make some sticky cinnamon buns but we got up too late to start the process. Guess they'll have to wait until tomorow. I'll assemble all the ingredients today so I can come out of the chute running.

Those look lovely. I used to make Kaiser Rolls a lot...I loved shaping them. I almost bought the tool to do that, but liked doing it by hand.

I didn't finish the cinnamon-raisin bagels. Went to drop stuff at the consignment auctioneer place--car died and I couldn't clear the security warning--luckily, a couple of guys pushed it onto the shoulder and one guy called his wife to drive me back to my Dad's. What a hassle, we got the car back, but don't know if it will get Dad back from town tomorrow. Then a friend contacted me and let me know she has had to make the decision to take her husband off life support, another friend's son who is in end stage cancer is, well, not doing well...the countdown has begun. So I didn't feel like baking. What started as a good day, turned out to be a really crappy day.

I assume since the dough is in the fridge, I can finish the bagels in the morning.
Finished. LOVE the texture, the chew, and the flavor. Next time, I will make them 100 g instead of 50 g.

Attachments

• P1030692.jpg
    P1030692.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 130
  • P1030691.jpg
    P1030691.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 111
Today was popovers with strawberry buttercream frosting. OMG so good especially when hot out of the oven!

IMG_3934.JPGIMG_3933.JPGIMG_3932.JPG

Do you use one of these pans? If so do you line it with parchment paper?

View attachment 38850
Do NOT put any oil or grease on those pans. If you put oil or grease, as French bread is cooked at very high temperature s (500), the grease will burn and it will be very hard to wash off.

Those pans are no stick and the finish bread should come off easily. If needed, put some flour around your French bread, before the final rise, as a no stick ingredient, the flour will be easy to wash, plus your bread will look more rustic.

Here is a video on making French Bread I have made.

This video is still in private mode, as it is at the end of my queue, schedule to be published in early May.

Enjoy, and all feedback are extremely welcome, even the very critical one.

https://youtu.be/vPpIgVyqNjk
op9bRAo.png

Last edited:
For Canadian DCers, with the railcars not running, the wheat can't get to the mills. Couple that with 42% of the wheat was left in the ground, might be able to harvest in the Spring--the forecast is that flour prices are going to go up because of the trains not running. Also, 1/3 of the sugar beet harvest was left in the fields in ND. Crystal Sugar is laying off people starting in March because the plants are running out of beets to process. Sugar will most likely go up if you buy Crystal Sugar. Sigh. Of course, with flour prices on the rise, pasta prices will also go up in Canada.

Sambali/Revani
1st Time making it. Had some semolina and was looking around for recipe to use with it. Came out pretty good :)

IMG_4052.JPGIMG_4049.JPGIMG_4048.JPG

I made blueberry cobbler. I was wishing I had more berries than the two cups in the fridge. Baked the cobbler and cooled it a bit, then went for ice cream from the freezer... where I spotted the bag of Wyman blueberries my SIL gave me before they moved to NC. *facepalm*

IMG_20200226_004209570.jpg

I made blueberry cobbler. I was wishing I had more berries than the two cups in the fridge. Baked the cobbler and cooled it a bit, then went for ice cream from the freezer... where I spotted the bag of Wyman blueberries my SIL gave me before they moved to NC. *facepalm*

I hate when that happens.. :ermm::LOL:

Ross

Back
Top Bottom