Does anyone get sick of their own cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Me and my wife have an unwritten agreement. I do all the cooking and make the mess, in turn, she cleans up after me and gets a home cooked meal. I do try to help but apparently my cleaning abilities dont live up to her standards ( and I truly do try). :)
Oh Man, Larry
That is one sweet deal you go for yourself... ;)

Me and my wife have an unwritten agreement. I do all the cooking and make the mess, in turn, she cleans up after me and gets a home cooked meal. I do try to help but apparently my cleaning abilities dont live up to her standards ( and I truly do try). :)
Then it's for the best that she's the one doing clean up. At my house, I'm the one with the higher cleaning standards.

Both here and back at the farm, I had a dishwasher. She's very lazy and after creating a humongous mess in the kitchen she would sometimes just look at me and say "THBBBBBBBBBS!

It could be several days before she would actually get around to doing them.
Sighhh... always said I would fire her but I didn't have any place to go, so I let myself stay.

My ex-wife didn't like how I cleaned the kitchen (or bathrooms), which I hated to do. I did a lot of the cooking (she did all the baking). She did most of the kitchen cleanup. She sometimes wanted my help, and I'd gladly help, but if she started telling me I was doing it wrong, I'd do it even worse, and she would run me out of the kitchen and do it herself. :ROFLMAO:

CD

My ex-wife didn't like how I cleaned the kitchen (or bathrooms), which I hated to do. I did a lot of the cooking (she did all the baking). She did most of the kitchen cleanup. She sometimes wanted my help, and I'd gladly help, but if she started telling me I was doing it wrong, I'd do it even worse, and she would run me out of the kitchen and do it herself. :ROFLMAO:

CD
Sounds like my son when I made him mow the backyard. He always complained, and I always told him it was his responsibility, until he managed to get the mower up and in a raised garden bed where I wa growing my cranberries. Plants mowed down to about 2 inches, not savable. I never let him mow the grass again.

I actually enjoy vacuuming, Hand washing the dishes and unloading he dishwasher. I just do a crappy job ( unintentionally).

Sounds like my son when I made him mow the backyard. He always complained, and I always told him it was his responsibility, until he managed to get the mower up and in a raised garden bed where I wa growing my cranberries. Plants mowed down to about 2 inches, not savable. I never let him mow the grass again.

I actually enjoy vacuuming, Hand washing the dishes and unloading he dishwasher. I just do a crappy job ( unintentionally).

I did all the yard and garden work. If I needed help, I would ask her, but it didn't last. She would do things wrong, and I knew it was intentional, but she would get what she wanted -- to go back inside.

When I was a teenager, my mom would come to me in a panic, and say, "Your dad is about to trim the bushes!!! Stop him!!!" He butchered bushes and trees. I had to go out and take away the power tools before we had mangled stumps in the garden.

CD

I got derailed this week. I made chicken tetrazzini which I had made about a month ago for the first time and it came out just perfect and I just loved it. For no reason I can think of I made it last weekend and it came out real thick and gloppy and to the point where I had to put it back in a pan and thin it out again with broth and milk when I reheated it. And then I didn't really want to eat it.

So then I GrubHub'd to excess the rest of the week because I was out of the mood to cook and still had food that I didn't really want to eat.

Im usually up to cooking all the time. Although, since my wife doesnt cook ( or rarely does), it's nice to take in every now and then , so I can come home to an already prepared meal. Im a creature of habit, so I always take in the same things. If we are away, I'll look for a cuisine Im not familiar with, or get something Ive never had to get new ideas. One of my favorite times to cook is after being away on vacation. At some point, no matter how good the food we eat while we are away is, I look forward to a good old home cooked meal.

Im usually up to cooking all the time. Although, since my wife doesnt cook ( or rarely does), it's nice to take in every now and then , so I can come home to an already prepared meal. Im a creature of habit, so I always take in the same things. If we are away, I'll look for a cuisine Im not familiar with, or get something Ive never had to get new ideas. One of my favorite times to cook is after being away on vacation. At some point, no matter how good the food we eat while we are away is, I look forward to a good old home cooked meal.

I rarely eat in restaurants, so if I'm not in the mood to cook, I just graze on sandwiches and reasonably healthy snacks.

I used to travel about 120 days a year for business, so I got pretty burned out of restaurant food. But, similar to you, when I do travel now, I try to eat the local foods. If I am near water, I look for seafood caught in the area. I was in South Dakota a few years ago, and had walleye for the first time, and loved it. Alas, getting wallet in North Texas is nearly impossible. If a city or state is famous for some dishes, I always try to get those.

CD

I'm trying to get any food in him that I can.

Knowing you, I'm sure you already have but I'm going to ask anyway. Have you asked anyone at the chemo center about suggestions for his diet, or if they have a nutritionist on staff to help?

Same. And with chemo, DH's appetite is unpredictable, which saps my motivation even more.
I feel ya. When my husband was sick with cancer, it was difficult to plan meals because there were days where just looking at food would repulse him. Now that he's gone, I don't really even plan meals anymore; my son and I just wing it. Except for Sunday dinner. I always make us a nice Sunday dinner, which is the only weekly meal I plan ahead for.

As for the original question, I don't really get sick of my own cooking. It's just there are days where I get really bored with food in general. And since money is so tight, I can't just find some fabulous recipe we'd like to try and run out to the store to buy the ingredients to create it. We eat what we have.

I'd also say that I run out of inspiration, which is why I find that keeping a pictorial log of what I've made in the past, very useful.
Also, I try to keep maybe 3-4 frozen meals (once that I've batch cooked and portioned out for future meals) in the deep freeze for days when "I'm just not feeling it".
We have no take-out or delivery services here in Cowboyville Arizona USA, it's cook, starve or drive the maybe 45 minutes to a restaurant. By the evening, I surely do not want to get dressed and go out to eat 8 out of 10 times.

I'm with Taxlady--I prefer my own cooking to take-out (no delivery around here). I enjoy cooking and rarely am not in the mood to mess up the kitchen!
For me, it's not so much a matter of not in the mood to mess up the kitchen. It's a matter of not being in the mood to clean up the kitchen so I can cook. Sometimes, I get the kitchen cleaned up, but then I'm too pooped to cook.
I really need to get another dishwasher.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom