Does anyone get sick of their own cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For me, it's not so much a matter of not in the mood to mess up the kitchen. It's a matter of not being in the mood to clean up the kitchen so I can cook. Sometimes, I get the kitchen cleaned up, but then I'm too pooped to cook.
I really need to get another dishwasher.
I'd love to have a dishwasher, but my kitchen is too small to fit one in. Even a portable one would take up too much room. Plus I'd have to hook it up to the sink and... yeah. Etc etc etc. Not worth it to me.

I miss having a dishwasher, but ever since we've lived in this house (for the last 21 years) I've washed dishes by hand. And it's never-ending.

But! I have to remember something my mom used to say when I was a kid - "Thank God for dirty dishes."

I recall thinking she was crazy for saying such a thing. But now I know why she said it. So, thanks to my mom, I've learned to appreciate that I even have dishes to wash.

For me, it's not so much a matter of not in the mood to mess up the kitchen. It's a matter of not being in the mood to clean up the kitchen so I can cook. Sometimes, I get the kitchen cleaned up, but then I'm too pooped to cook.
I really need to get another dishwasher.
Ditto Ditto! taxy!

and Linda, love your mom's quote, I just might start using it. Beautiful reminder of how fortunate we are.

Knowing you, I'm sure you already have but I'm going to ask anyway. Have you asked anyone at the chemo center about suggestions for his diet, or if they have a nutritionist on staff to help?
No. With my own medical history and nutrition issues, my doctors being professors of medicine who can't help but teach me, my studies of nutrition and food prep over the years, and reading recommendations from various university websites, I feel like I have a good understanding of what he needs. The problem is that his appetite is so unpredictable. We always have peanut butter and jelly, and cheese and crackers, and I've been making congee regularly. He does like that. I'm not sure I could get more useful information from a dietician.

No. With my own medical history and nutrition issues, my doctors being professors of medicine who can't help but teach me, my studies of nutrition and food prep over the years, and reading recommendations from various university websites, I feel like I have a good understanding of what he needs. The problem is that his appetite is so unpredictable. We always have peanut butter and jelly, and cheese and crackers, and I've been making congee regularly. He does like that. I'm not sure I could get more useful information from a dietician.
Sometimes healthcare workers have tips and tricks they have learned over time from their patients they can share.

Last edited:
Exactly, and because people react to chemo so differently you just never know. My one girlfriend could not stand any seasoning, only the lightest of salt, during her first episode of treatment. Now being diagnosed (5 years later) with a different cancer, I haven't heard how she'll react to this new cocktail. The other, she's had 3 radically different 'cocktails' and still loves her peppers! but 3 bites and she's full.
Will be interesting to hear how my ex does on his. His is another type of cancer so I imagine the 'cocktail' will probably be different again.

I was very fortunate to not need chemo, but with 30 days of radiation of my abdomen, I had to eat very small amounts of food at one time, and just eat a little bit all day long. Otherwise, bad things happened. I'll just leave it at that.

CD

I was thinking about that the other day. Ask the family about. But apparently I am doing ok. Change the menu often enough and nobody is unhappy.

Today I made Mississippi chicken over mashed potatoes. Now I love Mississippi pot roast. It is magically wonderful.

Mississippi chicken is all over the Internet and I've had friends tell me to make it and so I did and I ate one bowl of it or most of and I ate part of a bowl of it and threw it in the trash. I thought it was a terrible mix of flavors for chicken.

Now I have to come up with plan b for the week but at least I have some mashed potatoes ready.

Today I made Mississippi chicken over mashed potatoes. Now I love Mississippi pot roast. It is magically wonderful.

Mississippi chicken is all over the Internet and I've had friends tell me to make it and so I did and I ate one bowl of it or most of and I ate part of a bowl of it and threw it in the trash. I thought it was a terrible mix of flavors for chicken.

Now I have to come up with plan b for the week but at least I have some mashed potatoes ready.
Just looked it up. Gross.

This is what I would do with those mashed taters. I would make a Danish dish called "brændende kærlighed", which means burning love. You take about equal parts, by weight, of bacon and chopped onion. The bacon should be cut up as well, into small strips or into cubes. Fry the bacon until it is getting golden. Pour off most of the fat and add the onions. Once those are golden, it's ready to pour on top of the mashed potatoes. We really enjoy that. It's traditional to use lots of black pepper on that.

This is what I would do with those mashed taters. I would make a Danish dish called "brændende kærlighed", which means burning love. You take about equal parts, by weight, of bacon and chopped onion. The bacon should be cut up as well, into small strips or into cubes. Fry the bacon until it is getting golden. Pour off most of the fat and add the onions. Once those are golden, it's ready to pour on top of the mashed potatoes. We really enjoy that. It's traditional to use lots of black pepper on that.
That does sound good. I'm laying off the bacon right now for cholesterol reasons but I have some in the freezer so don't tempt me don't!

I had put some Cajun seasoning in the potatoes so actually I can eat them just like they are without anything else. Potatoes are just so good and they take on flavor so well. Without going to the store the only other thing I have is a pound of hamburger so I suppose I could make something like smothered hamburger patties using Lipton soup mix or something. But I'll probably just eat them and then make tuna salad because that's the other thing I have I can make. And I'm kind of in the mood for it. Man I hate to throw out meat with the prices for at and just for general waste purposes. Oh I do have a couple of pork loin chops in the freezer too. I bought some frozen green beans today. They're not really what I wanted but I had gotten some real good ones at an HEB store that has a different name and they were those little skinny kind and they didn't have flavorings and stuff in them like these ones I got today. They were definitely worth having on hand. I'm usually not that crazy about pre-flavored stuff.

I bought some frozen green beans today. They're not really what I wanted but I had gotten some real good ones at an HEB store that has a different name and they were those little skinny kind and they didn't have flavorings and stuff in them like these ones I got today. They were definitely worth having on hand. I'm usually not that crazy about pre-flavored stuff.

Were those green beans from Central Market? There is one about twenty miles from me. I've only been twice in twenty years. I have two HEB stores within five miles of me, and they have quite a few Central Market branded items. Their eggs are great! I also buy the CM organic milk. Their butter is good, too.

CD

I like my cooking. I do cook from a wide range of flavors, so we don't get bored often. If we feel adventurous, I tend to convince Himself that we want to go out to eat. Then I peruse the menu from the restaurant I'm interested in...look at the prices...realize that I have to get prettied-up (sweats and raggy sweaters are usually out even for drive-thru)...and decide to cook something basic. Or we order out and he picks up. He may not cook, but he's a great picker-upper!

I do get tired of fixing meals. Even more tired of cleaning up - because that's my job, too. When he does help he does it the half-xxx way so that I send him to his chair...which is exactly what he wanted in the first place. :ROFLMAO:

That does sound good. I'm laying off the bacon right now for cholesterol reasons but I have some in the freezer so don't tempt me don't!

I had put some Cajun seasoning in the potatoes so actually I can eat them just like they are without anything else. Potatoes are just so good and they take on flavor so well. Without going to the store the only other thing I have is a pound of hamburger so I suppose I could make something like smothered hamburger patties using Lipton soup mix or something. But I'll probably just eat them and then make tuna salad because that's the other thing I have I can make. And I'm kind of in the mood for it. Man I hate to throw out meat with the prices for at and just for general waste purposes. Oh I do have a couple of pork loin chops in the freezer too. I bought some frozen green beans today. They're not really what I wanted but I had gotten some real good ones at an HEB store that has a different name and they were those little skinny kind and they didn't have flavorings and stuff in them like these ones I got today. They were definitely worth having on hand. I'm usually not that crazy about pre-flavored stuff.
Same with me, especially when it comes to frozen vegetables. I don't want 'seasoned' Brussels sprouts, I want plain. I'll season them myself with S&P, which is generally all the seasoning I use on vegetables, as well as a little butter. I don't like anything else on them.

Were those green beans from Central Market? There is one about twenty miles from me. I've only been twice in twenty years. I have two HEB stores within five miles of me, and they have quite a few Central Market branded items. Their eggs are great! I also buy the CM organic milk. Their butter is good, too.

CD
Yes! All of the HEB dairy products are very good. I mean they're not worlds apart from other milk or whatever but if I'm going there I always load up on the dairy products. I do believe those green beans were from there out of the freezer section but I could be wrong. Some grocery days I go to more than one store but they were not from Kroger because I looked for them there so it was likely Central Market.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom