Sunday, October 22, 2023 - Football, Food for all. What did you have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathleen

Cupcake
We had burgers from the grill with all the fixings. We also had some leftover mac-n-cheese. For dessert, I made banana pudding with @Aunt Bea 's TNT meringue. Very tasty.
20231022_113841.jpg

We ordered Greek food. Chicken gyro pitas, house salad, and roast potatoes. We had also ordered loukaniko, but they were out of it. We opened a can of dolmades. I'm always pleasantly surprised by how good they are, even though they come out of a can.

Do you mind sharing your recipe for carnitas?
Sure, I don't actually have a recipe, so I'll throw one together here, now. I'll use imperial measurements.

Ingredients

5lbs boneless pork shoulder/butt, cut into 1" pieces, or bigger, not smaller.
1 Tbsp kosher or sea salt
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp ground coriander
1 Tbsp ground ancho chili powder, or your choice.
1 Tbsp ground black pepper
2 Tbsp brown sugar

4 bay leaves
5 garlic cloves, crushed
Peel from 1 orange

3 tbsp lard, brought up to melting temp.

Method
Preheat oven to 250-275 degrees

In a large bowl where you'll have added the pork butt combine all the spices and mix thoroughly with the pork and put in a rondeau or something similar where the pork can lay in a single layer, a tight fit is perfectly acceptable and desirable. Add the bay leaf, garlic and peel. Drizzle the lard over the pork and cover tightly. I use both tin foil and a lid.

Place in the oven and cook for around 3 hours, check at 2 and 1/2 hours for fork tenderness. Remove meat with a slotted spoon and strain the liquid including the fat.

After removing the garlic, bay leaf and orange peel put the meat back in the pan.

Set the oven to broil.

With the separated liquid and pork fat, both will now be added back in over the cooked pork. Broil for about 5-7 minutes until the top is caramelized. The pork fat helps the maillard process and the broth helps from drying out.

Pieces can be crushed, or left whole and added to taco's or your choice of application. Adjust for seasoning. If the spice mixture is too aggressive, cut by half or come up with your own combination, there is no wrong mixture.

Last edited:
I had meatloaf, sort of. I wasn't real impressed with my meatloaf this time. I've been getting French bread breadcrumbs from Safeway and of course they don't carry them any longer, so I used the regular unseasoned ones. Then I decided to just throw a whole cup of breadcrumbs in instead of the usual 3/4 cup. And then, since I realized too late that I didn't have milk, I decided to use cream with the breadcrumbs and oh, cripes, all I did was create hard chunks of bread. I did my best to break them all up, but I still had chunks of breadcrumbs scattered in the meatloaf when it came out of the oven. It looked like I had cashews in it. So I didn't actually have meatloaf - I had breadloaf with some meat in it.

I had meatloaf, sort of. I wasn't real impressed with my meatloaf this time. I've been getting French bread breadcrumbs from Safeway and of course they don't carry them any longer, so I used the regular unseasoned ones. Then I decided to just throw a whole cup of breadcrumbs in instead of the usual 3/4 cup. And then, since I realized too late that I didn't have milk, I decided to use cream with the breadcrumbs and oh, cripes, all I did was create hard chunks of bread. I did my best to break them all up, but I still had chunks of breadcrumbs scattered in the meatloaf when it came out of the oven. It looked like I had cashews in it. So I didn't actually have meatloaf - I had breadloaf with some meat in it.
I use uncooked rolled oats (no bread crumbs or milk) in my meatloaf. It turns out very nice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom